what master cylinders are you guys running? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Advanced Jeep Tech > what master cylinders are you guys running?

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 11-15-2013, 07:31 PM   #1
jeepn4life92
1997 TJ Wrangler 

what master cylinders are you guys running?

I'm currently in the planning and saving stages of my build up (which is based around an sm465 to 231/300 doubler with kp hpd60 and shaved 14b rolling on 41 inch tires) and have myself a little bit stumped in the master cylinder department. I see some guys upgrading to master cylinders out of 3/4 and full ton trucks when they upgraded to one ton axles and some guys either not touching them or just not mentioning it in their build threads....so I'm a little confused. If I have a kingpin hi pinion dana 60 front axle out of a 1990 f350 with stock brakes and a cucv 14b converted to discs running 3/4 calipers and rotors, what do I need to do (if anything) to run these brakes? And for what its worth, my brake system is going to get almost completely renovated regardless so I can remove the abs stuff from the system...

Unread 11-16-2013, 08:31 AM   #2
jason m
your ad here...

You could install your axles and hook your brakes up and try them first. I had the same combo for years and used the stock YJ master and locked up 39" Iroks.
When I swapped to a 60 rear steer I used the same combo ( just hung the calipers off the frame ) got done with the axle swap and my brakes sucked, couldn't figure out why.
I know now I had a bad caliper in the rear and I didn't notice it till I completed the swap.

So all that aside I say try your stock TJ master and see. If you have meh brakes then try swapping to a larger boar like the dodge 2500 truck master and if that still doesn't do it there is always hydro boast.

Jason.

And on the 8th day, God created the 14 bolt....
jason m is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-16-2013, 09:53 AM   #3
Jeepin72
2005 TJ Wrangler 

There is a lot out there by Blaine, Billavista, Mr. N, and a thread by Geberhard on Pirate on this issue.

I have dual piston Ford calipers up front on my HP 60. I had drum brakes on a 60 rear. The TJ MC worked better than the Dodge 2500 MC.

I now have Eldorado calipers on a 14 bolt in the rear. The Dodge 2500 MC is far better than the TJ MC with the Eldo's and/or the TJ MC with the drums. The best iteration was with the o-ring removed from the proportioning valve. The does mess with bias. I can nearly lock up 40's and my stopping distance is greatly improved.

Based on all of the reading I did, this is a temporary fix for me. I will be plumbing in hydroboost at some point. Hey, there are only so many hours to wrench and so much money to spend. I had the Dodge 2500 MC sitting on a shelf so I used it when I went to the 14 bolt.

Last edited by Jeepin72; 11-16-2013 at 10:08 AM.. Reason: O-Ring
Jeepin72 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2013, 10:22 PM   #4
SeaWulf
1983 CJ7 

I have a Corvette MC on my CJ with discs front and rear, no booster. On 38.5 swampers the braking power is more than enough to lock up the tires if you really put all your weight on it.
SeaWulf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.