Weld on Bead locks - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Advanced Jeep Tech > Weld on Bead locks

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 12-22-2011, 09:09 PM   #1
jason m
Web Wheeler

Weld on Bead locks

A few peaple asked me how I did my Weld on bead locks. Its fairly straight forward, I of course added a few twist.

I run a 39" on a 16" rim. Someday I will have a 17" with red lables again but for now 16" Iroks.
I didn't re-use the same rims I had for years on the Jeep, why well they where a 8" wide rim, but when you add a weld on bead lock kit it adds about a 1 1/4" to the over all width.
So now that would of made the rim around 9"+, to wide for my taste. I like to keep the tire sidewall skinney so when I air down ( 1-2 puonds ) it widens the tire out.

So I dug around my pile of parts and found some 7" wide rims witch when done with the weld on kit would put me back at 8 1/4" witch is where I was before I strated, well a 1/4" over, big deal.

I didn't like how the factory fill valve stems where placed on the rim's. I relocated my stems on my old rims but with the ring welded on it would have made putting it back in that spot on the new rims very hard to fill.

So I cut a 2" hole on a non-welded section of the rim, I used my oversized Mag drill. ( Oh if you every have a chance to pick one of these up cheap do it, I find more use's for them other than drilling beams and buckets, I use it just as much inside the shop )

Hers the finished hole and slug drop,

Then I set the rim on a steel bucket with me sitting on another plastic bucket. This was a perfect hieght for welding. I set the machine at 20 volts and 215 IPM's.
The weld on bead locks are a tad under size so it forms a nice little 1/16" bevel. I back stepped all the welds, this way I was burnig into my cold starts.

And a finshed rims,

What I didn't show was the BobCat skid steer steel/brass valve stem I got for them. This way there very rigid and being inside the 2" hole I cut they should never get hit or ripped off buy a rock.
Ive been very pleased with them, just wish they where red lable's, oh well.
Oh and sorry for the fuzzy Pics, this was done over two years ago before I had a decent phone.
Jason.

And on the 8th day, God created the 14 bolt....
jason m is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2011, 08:19 AM   #2
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Where did you get the rings?
Any problems with leaking and how did you balance them?
How did you fill the old valve stem hole?
Unread 12-23-2011, 09:39 AM   #3
Machinist
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Can I get a pic or 2 of the skid steer valves?By the way awesome idea I may steal that from you!!
Machinist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2011, 12:16 PM   #4
jason m
Web Wheeler

The rings are great lake's kit, I would never use him again. His delay in getting them to me cost me a run, took well over a month to finally get. Ruffstuff gets 100% of my orders now.

No leaks as long as welds are true ( no porosity ), witch mine where. I'm offroad only, fastest Ive gone in my rig is maybe 25-30 tops, so no worry there.

Old valve stem hole I just plug welded them shut and redilled for the new oversized one's.

Ya I have an extra stem in my parts kit. I will get a Pic, I might even have the part number on my list of parts I installed. I will get a Pic of how they mount in the rim.

Oh buy all means steal away thats what forums are for, an exchange of idea's.

Jason.

Unread 12-23-2011, 07:15 PM   #5
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason m View Post
The rings are great lake's kit, I would never use him again. His delay in getting them to me cost me a run, took well over a month to finally get. Ruffstuff gets 100% of my orders now.

No leaks as long as welds are true ( no porosity ), witch mine where. I'm offroad only, fastest Ive gone in my rig is maybe 25-30 tops, so no worry there.

Old valve stem hole I just plug welded them shut and redilled for the new oversized one's.

Ya I have an extra stem in my parts kit. I will get a Pic, I might even have the part number on my list of parts I installed. I will get a Pic of how they mount in the rim.

Oh buy all means steal away thats what forums are for, an exchange of idea's.

Jason.
Does Ruffstuff have the rings? I do not see them on their website.
What about balancing them any problems?
Unread 12-23-2011, 07:22 PM   #6
jason m
Web Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSEJEEPERS View Post
Does Ruffstuff have the rings? I do not see them on their website.
What about balancing them any problems?
Sorry I ment to say all my parts that I don't make, I used to go threw Great lake's but now Dan gets my buisness.

Weld on bead locks would be very hard to balance, maybe BB's inside the tire could do it.

Jason.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.