water methanol for my turbo tj - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Advanced Jeep Tech > water methanol for my turbo tj

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 12-15-2011, 04:17 PM   #1
funshootin1
1998 TJ Wrangler 

water methanol for my turbo tj

In lieu of an standard intercooler I plan on installing a water methanol injection setup... anyone familiar with pitfalls as far as tuning final af ratios ( gotta be some deisel/turbo nuts out here) 2.5 -36lb injectors- garret to4e-splitsecond ftc piggyback...7-8 lbs of boost, decent slightly rich tune right now .

Unread 12-15-2011, 04:21 PM   #2
funshootin1
1998 TJ Wrangler 

should have mentioned... I have a snow performance kit. 220 psi pump 60 and 100 ml per min nozzles and not sure which to run, planning on setting up to run at 5 psi and up.
Unread 12-16-2011, 05:00 AM   #3
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Once you get this metanol Injection finished you should do a write from start to finish of your turbo build. I would bet alot of people on here would be interested in Turbo Charging their jeep and there isn't much that I found so far on this site on turbo charging the 4 angry squirrels. Have you considered an intercooler with this set up along with the methanol. That would make the air charge even cooler.
Siva283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2011, 07:59 AM   #4
funshootin1
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Intercooler was voted down
simplicity was a factor,
also considered lag,
And its mild boost levels
and the fact that that intercooler would be covered in mud blocking airflow to the radiator. ...
always considered a small water to air unit off to the side.

As far as build threads go I threw up some stuff when I first started putting it together ...the exhaust build thread I started had the most pics and information. Also anyone can pm me and I can answer questions that way till I get around to finding all the pics and put them together in some semblance of chronological order that makes sense.
Unread 12-16-2011, 10:40 AM   #5
Spuznick242
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I would go with a rear mounted intercooler then. They do it on side by sides all the time, they mount the intercooler in the back just behind the driver. It'll take ALOT of piping to do but with the gains from a intercooler its worth it by far, or at least for the gains that my saab got after an intercooler upgrade and a bigger waste gate. It'll increase spool lag but I wouldnt worry about it, you'll get into the torque enough at a low enough RPM to add in where it counts.

But I havent had any experience with water/methonal injection only gas burners, and only one diesel, it added alot of extra power but nothing compared to propane injection so I'm at the end of my experience.
Unread 12-16-2011, 11:22 AM   #6
funshootin1
1998 TJ Wrangler 

If done right water Meth can be more efficient at cooling charge ...plus the power gain is increased because you're adding fuel.
Intercoolers have thier place ..just not on my rig and especially not behind the seat ( yet?)...I still drive this thing on public roads man! LOL... although I like the direction your looking, plain ole reliability is the main concern. Less pipes, less connections, less leaks.
Now some would say if youre looking for reliable why not a 4.3/ ls1 /bt4 ect...well, I can't really argue with that. As it stands now the thing starts drives and wheels like it came off the factory floor with the Turbo setup. Especially off road, in low range ( is there any other ) the thing spools instantly and the power while not v8 is definitely noticed ...feeling like a very good running six But with a bit More legs to achieve wheelspeed on adventures in gooey swampy bottomless pits . Also the long loose hillclimbs we have locally are where it shines.
To keep us from getting off track for this thread I'm really looking for folks with water methanol experience ... until I get a proper thread made for the whole project anyone can pm me.
Unread 12-16-2011, 11:22 AM   #7
MONSooNmonkey
1998 XJ Cherokee 

^ That lagg would be HORRIBLE.
FMIC are ok at higher boost levels and RPM's.

HE could do a top mount intercooler though he might have to turn his intake 180 degrees.
I imagine that a top mount intercooler would be the most practical with a mudding vehicle like a jeep.
Unread 12-16-2011, 11:43 AM   #8
Spuznick242
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I was just using the side by side as an example where they mount it actually in between the driver and passenger but behind the seats above the bed...you can mount it anywhere thats above your usual mud/water line. But I understand just not wanting an intercooler, I wanted one because it increases power without adding another system to the engine that's mostly maintence free and adds fuel economy but none of that really applies for a jeep, once again, this was in a 300bhp saab.

I would ask over at the 4bt swap forum, there's alot of guys over there that can help, its diesels but they know their turbos and should be able to offer some advice.
Unread 12-16-2011, 06:02 PM   #9
WhyJayPA
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I do a lot of tinkering on VW's and other boosted motors. I see your dilemma here. I would look into a water-to-air IC. Water/meth is all good and well but its a lot more to worry about. A few of the turbo 4.0's i've seen are using the water-to-air IC like the XJ on the naxja forums. The system is basically sealed and is much more versatile as far as mounting options go. I'm sure you've though of most of this though. You seem pretty educated on this all. Afterall, you did build a turbo tj haha
Unread 12-16-2011, 08:16 PM   #10
funshootin1
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Water to air is something I've been looking into in a serious way. I was unaware of naxja having a Turbo build ...alot of long nights doing research and am a little disappointed in the fact I totally overlooked them ...really that's the next logical step for me anyway is a Cherokee as far as room for family, wheelbase, power to weight ratio, simplicity and junkyard parts availability. . . I would most likely do the same setup as far as using the piggyback ecu .
Unread 12-16-2011, 08:35 PM   #11
WhyJayPA
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Yea that ecu seems to be the most integral part of that turbo setup, well that and the guys pretty damn skilled at fabbing up manifolds and other hard pipes
Unread 12-16-2011, 08:40 PM   #12
funshootin1
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Searching for the build on naxja...link or user name or title of thread. Just started looking 5 minutes ago setup account
Unread 12-16-2011, 08:42 PM   #13
funshootin1
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Oh...there's more than a couple! Awesome
Unread 12-16-2011, 08:42 PM   #14
WhyJayPA
1988 YJ Wrangler 

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1031285
Unread 12-16-2011, 08:49 PM   #15
funshootin1
1998 TJ Wrangler 

That's a nice clean build. Checking out several tonight. Thanks for the link. Looking at one thread on phone and another on laptop ...better get some coffee brewing. Man there's no room in those engine bays, I'm spoiled, 4 Banger tjs all you gotta do is remove fan shroud and you can stand on the front Axel and close the lid LOL

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.