Waggy axle swap and steering - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Advanced Jeep Tech > Waggy axle swap and steering

*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Steering and more from Ruffstuff!

Unread 01-08-2013, 11:50 AM   #1
mylittlecj5
1974 CJ5 

Waggy axle swap and steering

What are you guys doing to get steering when swapping in a waggy axle? I have searched and read many threads, but other than going Hi-Steer, there isn't much out there. Is that the only option?

This is going under my CJ-5, using stock Waggy leafs in a SOA configuration, with the springs outboarded.
I am trying to extend the WB some at the same time, so I can't just move the axle back to make the steering work.
Am I going to have to move the box farther forward? If I do that, I will replace the front bumper and build the shackle mounts under it.

this is how the drag link lines up to the pitman arm. If I move it back farther, it rubs the toe rod hard. I have a few other pitman arms, but no that have a shorter length, and wouldn't that mass with my steering angle?

As the axle sits now

Default Jeepers Club #10
mylittlecj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2013, 04:41 PM   #2
foggybottombob
1984 CJ7 

I think your issue is not that you are "swapping in a waggy axle". It's that you are going SOA. I don't think you can install SOA without using high steer unless you do a kludge.
foggybottombob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2013, 07:08 PM   #3
mylittlecj5
1974 CJ5 

LOL Ok I'm new at swapping axles, if you can't tell!
First off, whats a kludge?

Second, I think I've decided its sitting higher than I want, so I am going to put in into a SUA setup, and see if I like that better. I will only be running my 35" Swampers, and it seems like its just too high compared to others I have seen.
I'm not sure that will fix the current problem, since the relationship between the pitman arm and the drag link won't be changing.
Default Jeepers Club #10
Unread 01-11-2013, 12:53 PM   #4
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylittlecj5 View Post
First off, whats a kludge?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kludge
Unread 01-12-2013, 12:19 AM   #5
rekkitralf

I ran an SUA with a wag axle. Outboarded the springs, strecthed front end a few inches doing that. Then moved the steering box forward and added M.O.R.E bracket that moves it even farther forward. Ended up with just enough clearance to run a wag pitman arm to get full steering throw. Used partsmike chromo tie rod and drag link with 1 ton GM ends.

Turned out great. ZERO bumpsteer due to the nearly flat drag link. Used RE 2.5" YJ springs SUA with boom shackles. Cleared 37s with some trimming in the rear.
rekkitralf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2013, 08:53 PM   #6
czjeeper
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Did you use a drop waggy arm or factory wagoneer arm?
Armed Forces Jeeps Member #125
Red Jeep Club Member #251

In the Portland/Vancouver area? Check 'em out! Piston's Wild Motorsports Club

Click here for 2.5L AX5 to AX15 swap
czjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2013, 12:08 AM   #7
rekkitralf

I used an OEM wag arm sourced from partsmike, which came reamed for the GM ends.
rekkitralf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2013, 06:08 AM   #8
mylittlecj5
1974 CJ5 

I've been messing around with mine again. Got a set of 35" tires mounted on 6 lug rims so I could actually visualize what it will look like. Then I pulled the springs, set them up SUA and decided that I don't like how low the Waggy springs set it, so its back to SOA for this one.
I will be moving the steering box forward, pretty much all the way to the (yet to be fabb'ed) new front bumper. Then I should be able to use the 4" drop pitman that is on there now until I can go hi-steer. The mocked-up angle isn't too bad, so it may stay. Only time will tell.

My next question involves the springs and orientation.
I am using Waggy offset pin springs. I have the long side to the rear to add some to the WB. I have mocked up fixed mounts (front) and shackle mounts (rear) on both sides. After reading one of the TOTM regarding springs, It seems that the popular way to go is with shackles on the long side, or the to the front in my case. Apparently this help with wheel hop. Anyone have other opinions? This is more a mud and light trails truck, not really a rock crawler. It has always had a SRS since I bought it, but I have no problem putting it either way.

Semi related question:
The rear axle I am using is factory set up for SOA. I haven't seen anyone outboard the rear springs to match the front. I thought it might add stability to a short WB truck. Again, I'm not looking for the maximum flex angles I can get, I'd rather have the leverage to not roll on a side hill with a tall fairly skinny truck. This won't compromise running deep mud at all, and I think may have an advantage. Opinions on this? I know it will need a torque bar, that will come later.

Cliffs:
Shackles on the long side of Waggy springs, or doesn't really matter?
Would outboarding rear springs add stability?
Default Jeepers Club #10
Unread 01-18-2013, 05:05 PM   #9
94chb
1989 YJ Wrangler 

im currently swapping in waggy d44 in my yj and going SOA, ive went for a 6in stretch using xj military wrap springs, for steering im going with astro steering box.
94chb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2013, 11:51 AM   #10
mulehead2
1981 CJ7 

I put a waggy 44 under my CJ7 and went SOA. To keep the pre existing steering geometry, I just heated and bent the drop pitmon arm. It still has plenty of integrity, but I'm going to gusset just for overkill.
mulehead2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2013, 07:49 PM   #11
BlueRubiconrich
1986 CJ7 

oh I would not heat it and bend it.
BlueRubiconrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2013, 09:14 PM   #12
94chb
1989 YJ Wrangler 

id suggest using a waggy pitman arm and moving your steering box back just a tad. if you flex that steering rod is going to be all up in that pitman arm.
94chb is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.