VSS adapter - Page 2 - JeepForum.com

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 23 Old 07-30-2013, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
TJNEWBY
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Zeeland MI
Posts: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattamd_xp View Post
As I've been looking into this for my swap, using a t-case output is very doable. There is a pin on the GM computer than needs to be grounded to tell the computer the t-case is in 4 low and the ratio needs to be programmed in it as well. Pretty easy and a heck of a lot cheaper than AA's adapter/VSS "solution". I've got a np241c with a JB conversions Super Short SYE that has a provision for a stock Chevy VSS that I'm using. I'm just going to program the PCM correctly for the t-case ratio and put a switch on the t-case shifter that will ground the plug on the PCM when I shift into 4 low.
I like where you are heading with that. My life would be a lot less stressful if I would only have started with a GM VSS in the SYE. If someone made and adapter to convert my Jeep VSS opening to accommodate a GM VSS would be well worth it's weight in gold to me right now.

TJNEWBY is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #17 of 23 Old 07-31-2013, 07:21 AM
mattamd_xp
Registered User
2001 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Springfield, MA
Posts: 582
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJNEWBY View Post
I like where you are heading with that. My life would be a lot less stressful if I would only have started with a GM VSS in the SYE. If someone made and adapter to convert my Jeep VSS opening to accommodate a GM VSS would be well worth it's weight in gold to me right now.
The problem with that is the tone ring on the output shaft of the t-case needs to be different for a GM VSS signal. The signals are not compatible with each other for use with the GM automatic. As far as I know from the research I've done, the signals are unable to be converted from the Jeep VSS to what the GM computer needs to see.

99 Wrangler Project Detroit Mongrel 5.3/4l60e/Atlas HPD60/14B coilovers etc...
mattamd_xp is offline  
post #18 of 23 Old 08-01-2013, 12:40 PM
DLWRUBI
Registered User
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Union City
Posts: 576
Sounds like matt and I are saying the same thing in regards to the low range switch. Here is a pic of my VSS on the output shaft Yoke, although I have a different setup using an Atlas and AA's super short adapter that put my TC output yoke about 3-4 inches shorter than stock overall (that's a good thing). I was also lucky enough the atlas has provisions for the low range switch so all kind of easy for me. However, it would not have been any more expensive for me (actually cheaper) to go with a different adapter with a VSS already built in using the trans output shaft but I would have lost a couple inches of that yoke placement. What adapters are you guys using that you can't put a VSS on it?

DLWRUBI is offline  
post #19 of 23 Old 08-01-2013, 09:44 PM
mattamd_xp
Registered User
2001 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Springfield, MA
Posts: 582
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLWRUBI View Post
What adapters are you guys using that you can't put a VSS on it?
I'm guessing he's using a stock GM t-case adapter to a 231c front half on a 231j back half.

99 Wrangler Project Detroit Mongrel 5.3/4l60e/Atlas HPD60/14B coilovers etc...
mattamd_xp is offline  
post #20 of 23 Old 08-02-2013, 04:09 AM Thread Starter
TJNEWBY
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Zeeland MI
Posts: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattamd_xp View Post
I'm guessing he's using a stock GM t-case adapter to a 231c front half on a 231j back half.
You are correct.
TJNEWBY is offline  
post #21 of 23 Old 08-06-2013, 06:00 PM
mattamd_xp
Registered User
2001 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Springfield, MA
Posts: 582
Pretty much the only options you have are buying the Advance Adapters VSS kit that goes on the trans output shaft $244 that involves drilling into the stock tail housing on the trans.
http://www.advanceadapters.com/produ...-output-shaft/
Or you can sell your SYE and buy the JB conversions one that uses a GM VSS in the tailhousing of the 231j $340+ depending on yoke choice
http://www.jbconversions.com/product..._short_sye.php

There was a guy on Pirate in the 5.3 swap thread that did something similar to the AA kit using parts he had on hand and machining the adapter for the tailhousing, but that requires quite a bit more work than either of the above options. I was originally going to be running a 231/D300 doubler on mine and was planning on using the AA kit as that was the easiest and the GM computer has no provision for 2 low ranges. I ended up with the 241c for now as it was the cheapest/easiest to use for now until I upgrade to an aftermarket case in the future.

99 Wrangler Project Detroit Mongrel 5.3/4l60e/Atlas HPD60/14B coilovers etc...
mattamd_xp is offline  
post #22 of 23 Old 08-06-2013, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
TJNEWBY
Registered User
1998 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Zeeland MI
Posts: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattamd_xp View Post
Pretty much the only options you have are buying the Advance Adapters VSS kit that goes on the trans output shaft $244 that involves drilling into the stock tail housing on the trans.
http://www.advanceadapters.com/produ...-output-shaft/
Or you can sell your SYE and buy the JB conversions one that uses a GM VSS in the tailhousing of the 231j $340+ depending on yoke choice
http://www.jbconversions.com/product..._short_sye.php

There was a guy on Pirate in the 5.3 swap thread that did something similar to the AA kit using parts he had on hand and machining the adapter for the tailhousing, but that requires quite a bit more work than either of the above options. I was originally going to be running a 231/D300 doubler on mine and was planning on using the AA kit as that was the easiest and the GM computer has no provision for 2 low ranges. I ended up with the 241c for now as it was the cheapest/easiest to use for now until I upgrade to an aftermarket case in the future.
Thanks for the info. If the path I'm on right now does not work I think I would go to the JB Conversions path.
TJNEWBY is offline  
post #23 of 23 Old 08-07-2013, 09:32 AM
mjnoc
Registered User
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: 14701
Posts: 1
I was going to go the route that mattland xp mentioned however I decided to go with a doubler which killed that idea. Here is the route I went.
4l60e///AA 50-0405e///700r4 adapter///box4rox///dana 300


http://www.advanceadapters.com/produ...onadapter-kit/

Here is an assemblied pic

mjnoc is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome