VSS adapter - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Advanced Jeep Tech > VSS adapter

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 07-30-2013, 05:41 PM   #16
TJNEWBY
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattamd_xp View Post
As I've been looking into this for my swap, using a t-case output is very doable. There is a pin on the GM computer than needs to be grounded to tell the computer the t-case is in 4 low and the ratio needs to be programmed in it as well. Pretty easy and a heck of a lot cheaper than AA's adapter/VSS "solution". I've got a np241c with a JB conversions Super Short SYE that has a provision for a stock Chevy VSS that I'm using. I'm just going to program the PCM correctly for the t-case ratio and put a switch on the t-case shifter that will ground the plug on the PCM when I shift into 4 low.
I like where you are heading with that. My life would be a lot less stressful if I would only have started with a GM VSS in the SYE. If someone made and adapter to convert my Jeep VSS opening to accommodate a GM VSS would be well worth it's weight in gold to me right now.

TJNEWBY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2013, 07:21 AM   #17
mattamd_xp
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJNEWBY View Post
I like where you are heading with that. My life would be a lot less stressful if I would only have started with a GM VSS in the SYE. If someone made and adapter to convert my Jeep VSS opening to accommodate a GM VSS would be well worth it's weight in gold to me right now.
The problem with that is the tone ring on the output shaft of the t-case needs to be different for a GM VSS signal. The signals are not compatible with each other for use with the GM automatic. As far as I know from the research I've done, the signals are unable to be converted from the Jeep VSS to what the GM computer needs to see.
Unread 08-01-2013, 12:40 PM   #18
DLWRUBI
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Sounds like matt and I are saying the same thing in regards to the low range switch. Here is a pic of my VSS on the output shaft Yoke, although I have a different setup using an Atlas and AA's super short adapter that put my TC output yoke about 3-4 inches shorter than stock overall (that's a good thing). I was also lucky enough the atlas has provisions for the low range switch so all kind of easy for me. However, it would not have been any more expensive for me (actually cheaper) to go with a different adapter with a VSS already built in using the trans output shaft but I would have lost a couple inches of that yoke placement. What adapters are you guys using that you can't put a VSS on it?

DLWRUBI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-01-2013, 09:44 PM   #19
mattamd_xp
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLWRUBI View Post
What adapters are you guys using that you can't put a VSS on it?
I'm guessing he's using a stock GM t-case adapter to a 231c front half on a 231j back half.
Unread 08-02-2013, 04:09 AM   #20
TJNEWBY
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I'm guessing he's using a stock GM t-case adapter to a 231c front half on a 231j back half.
You are correct.
Unread 08-06-2013, 06:00 PM   #21
mattamd_xp
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Pretty much the only options you have are buying the Advance Adapters VSS kit that goes on the trans output shaft $244 that involves drilling into the stock tail housing on the trans.
http://www.advanceadapters.com/produ...-output-shaft/
Or you can sell your SYE and buy the JB conversions one that uses a GM VSS in the tailhousing of the 231j $340+ depending on yoke choice
http://www.jbconversions.com/product..._short_sye.php

There was a guy on Pirate in the 5.3 swap thread that did something similar to the AA kit using parts he had on hand and machining the adapter for the tailhousing, but that requires quite a bit more work than either of the above options. I was originally going to be running a 231/D300 doubler on mine and was planning on using the AA kit as that was the easiest and the GM computer has no provision for 2 low ranges. I ended up with the 241c for now as it was the cheapest/easiest to use for now until I upgrade to an aftermarket case in the future.
Unread 08-06-2013, 06:05 PM   #22
TJNEWBY
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Pretty much the only options you have are buying the Advance Adapters VSS kit that goes on the trans output shaft $244 that involves drilling into the stock tail housing on the trans.
http://www.advanceadapters.com/produ...-output-shaft/
Or you can sell your SYE and buy the JB conversions one that uses a GM VSS in the tailhousing of the 231j $340+ depending on yoke choice
http://www.jbconversions.com/product..._short_sye.php

There was a guy on Pirate in the 5.3 swap thread that did something similar to the AA kit using parts he had on hand and machining the adapter for the tailhousing, but that requires quite a bit more work than either of the above options. I was originally going to be running a 231/D300 doubler on mine and was planning on using the AA kit as that was the easiest and the GM computer has no provision for 2 low ranges. I ended up with the 241c for now as it was the cheapest/easiest to use for now until I upgrade to an aftermarket case in the future.
Thanks for the info. If the path I'm on right now does not work I think I would go to the JB Conversions path.
Unread 08-07-2013, 09:32 AM   #23
mjnoc
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I was going to go the route that mattland xp mentioned however I decided to go with a doubler which killed that idea. Here is the route I went.
4l60e///AA 50-0405e///700r4 adapter///box4rox///dana 300

http://www.advanceadapters.com/produ...onadapter-kit/

Here is an assemblied pic

mjnoc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.