VSS adapter - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Advanced Jeep Tech > VSS adapter

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOld Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!

Unread 07-19-2013, 06:19 PM   #1
TJNEWBY
1998 TJ Wrangler 

VSS adapter

I am just finishing up a 5.3 swap into a 98 tj. I am trying to work through some VSS issues. Does anyone know of a way to adapt a GM 5.3 VSS into a NP231J VSS opening in the transfer case? Getting a GM VSS would make life a lot easier. Also looking at having the PCM reprogrammed to read the Jeep VSS signal. Any thoughts?

TJNEWBY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2013, 08:40 AM   #2
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I kept the Jeep VSS and adapted it to my '02 GM motor with a DakotaDigital.Com adapter unit, but I don't have CAN BUS gauges as is stock in a TJ dash. It may be worth looking into them though, may have something to help.
Unread 07-20-2013, 09:50 AM   #3
TJNEWBY
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Which product did you use from Dakota Digital? I currently have the SGI 5C but I am getting conflicting info from them if it wiil work or not. Thanks for the reply.
Unread 07-20-2013, 10:39 AM   #4
rckchucker
1997 TJ Wrangler 

what are you trying to accomplish? is this for the trans to shift correctly? from what I understand, the GM computer needs a trans input shaft speed, output shaft speed and vehicle speed to shift correctly no? When I did my 5.3, I used a manual, but I needed a speedo so all the emissions junk would work. I believe I used a Dakota Digital SGI-5. I also programmed my GM PCM to look for 3 pulses per revolution since that is what the rubicon tcase tone ring is. When that Hall effect signal is converted to the AC signal the GM PCM understands, my speedo is off by 1 mph at 75 mph. It is pretty close. I retained my factory gauges, so I just teed off the signal wire and ran one up to the gm computer.
rckchucker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2013, 01:43 PM   #5
TJNEWBY
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Yes,my main goal is to get the transmission to shift correctly. I currently have the SGI 5C installed but the GM PCM doesn't recognize the signal from the SGI 5C. So one of my options is to send my PCM back to Speartech and have them re program the PCM to recognize the signal from the SGI 5C. Do you know of any issues I might have re programing the GM PCM with the 4L60E transmission?
Unread 07-26-2013, 01:20 PM   #6
DLWRUBI
1993 YJ Wrangler 

If the VSS is in the TC, how will it shift right in 4 wheel low unless you have a way to tell the PCM to use your TC ratio in low range? I believe the GM 4x4 trucks had this provision. That's why it's recommended to use the VSS in the trans. What adapter do you have for your transmission to TC? AA sells a kit for adding a VSS to your 4L60E.
DLWRUBI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2013, 04:04 PM   #7
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

It's at the output of the TC, the point where each drive shaft revolution means the same thing, regardless of what happens before that point with gears and torque.
Unread 07-26-2013, 07:45 PM   #8
TJNEWBY
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I would agree with JeeperDon. Everything I have read is that your most accurate reading is at the tail of the T case.Hope to install the reprogrammed ECM tomorrow. Keeping my fingers crossed that it works.
Unread 07-27-2013, 04:10 AM   #9
dg6772
1986 CJ7 

Hey guys, I just completed a cj7 with a tbi 350 and 700R4. I am looking for information on the vss mine will be for the cruise control and whatever else the obd1 system needs it for. Where can I start? Any ideas. Thanks

Dave in Muskegon
dg6772 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2013, 01:14 PM   #10
DLWRUBI
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I'm going to have to wrap my head around that, didn'tmean to send any false info, I read this on AA's site:

"Vehicles with a computer controlled engine swap and an automatic transmission requiring a VSS should not use this (transfercase) tailhousing option unless a low range switch is installed and the computer program is modified. When installing this type of engine and automatic transmission combination, we highly recommend a reluctor ring location in the adapter or the transmission. This will give the engine computer system a correct 1-to-1 reading in or out of low range."

Also this is about their true pulse kit where the VSS is behind the yoke of the output shaft. This is the one I'm using and requires a low range switch, which is why they don't recommend it but I have no choice.

"Vehicles with an engine conversion using a 1993 & later GM computer controlled engine and an automatic transmission requiring a VSS “should not” use the True-Pulse VSS kit. When using or installing this specific type of drive train combination, we highly recommend a VSS be located in the transfer case adapteror the automatic transmission. This will give the ECU a correct 1 to 1 reading when in 4wd low range."
Unread 07-29-2013, 12:13 AM   #11
DLWRUBI
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Well, did you install the reprogrammed ECM? Does it work right now in both 4 wheel hi and lo? Like to see if your guys logic is correct and I can throw my low range switch in the garbage.
Unread 07-29-2013, 05:39 AM   #12
TJNEWBY
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLWRUBI View Post
Well, did you install the reprogrammed ECM? Does it work right now in both 4 wheel hi and lo? Like to see if your guys logic is correct and I can throw my low range switch in the garbage.
No, I did not get to it this weekend hopefully tonight.
Unread 07-30-2013, 01:21 AM   #13
DLWRUBI
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Looks like I found more info. Just makes more since to me with an automatic trans that counts on the VSS accuracy to function properly. If your on the TC tail shaft without a way to tell the PCM you just changed the output ratio by 272:1, 3.8:1, 4:1, or whatever, then how can it shift right with the transmission speed being one thing (what the computer is programmed for) and the TC being another? Below is another quote from a member on here that also did the 5.3/4l60e conversion. Hopefully I'm just being helpful here and not a PITA . I bought a Compushift II transmission controller for a couple reasons, one being it has the wiring provision for a 4 wheel low switch and the ability to program your TC ratio into it. I would have been ahead of the game had I went with a trans output shaft VSS setup since it's always 1:1 no matter what the TC is. My setup will not do a trans VSS though.

"The VSS on the LS series engines is very important with the automatic. Controls shift points, line pressure, and other things. It doesn't just need to know it's moving, it needs to know how fast exactly. That's why when you send your PCM to get programmed, you need to tell the programmer what tire size and gear ratio you are running. Also, the reason why you can't run the VSS behind the transfer case unless you wire in the 4WL switch back to the PCM."
Unread 07-30-2013, 05:28 AM   #14
TJNEWBY
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLWRUBI View Post
Looks like I found more info. Just makes more since to me with an automatic trans that counts on the VSS accuracy to function properly. If your on the TC tail shaft without a way to tell the PCM you just changed the output ratio by 272:1, 3.8:1, 4:1, or whatever, then how can it shift right with the transmission speed being one thing (what the computer is programmed for) and the TC being another? Below is another quote from a member on here that also did the 5.3/4l60e conversion. Hopefully I'm just being helpful here and not a PITA . I bought a Compushift II transmission controller for a couple reasons, one being it has the wiring provision for a 4 wheel low switch and the ability to program your TC ratio into it. I would have been ahead of the game had I went with a trans output shaft VSS setup since it's always 1:1 no matter what the TC is. My setup will not do a trans VSS though.

"The VSS on the LS series engines is very important with the automatic. Controls shift points, line pressure, and other things. It doesn't just need to know it's moving, it needs to know how fast exactly. That's why when you send your PCM to get programmed, you need to tell the programmer what tire size and gear ratio you are running. Also, the reason why you can't run the VSS behind the transfer case unless you wire in the 4WL switch back to the PCM."
Any info is good info thanks for posting. I think there may be more than one way to get to the results that we need it dependquite a bit on the set up. Hopefully will be putting everything back together tonight to see if my version work. I think I woould have either started with a GM VSS or gone with a non electronic transmission. Hind sight!?
Unread 07-30-2013, 04:36 PM   #15
mattamd_xp
2001 TJ Wrangler 

As I've been looking into this for my swap, using a t-case output is very doable. There is a pin on the GM computer than needs to be grounded to tell the computer the t-case is in 4 low and the ratio needs to be programmed in it as well. Pretty easy and a heck of a lot cheaper than AA's adapter/VSS "solution". I've got a np241c with a JB conversions Super Short SYE that has a provision for a stock Chevy VSS that I'm using. I'm just going to program the PCM correctly for the t-case ratio and put a switch on the t-case shifter that will ground the plug on the PCM when I shift into 4 low.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.