TJ: hp30, WJ knuckles, new Track Bar - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Advanced Jeep Tech > TJ: hp30, WJ knuckles, new Track Bar

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail 99-04 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Dark Headlights Clear Cor99-04 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Chrome Headlights

Unread 02-12-2013, 04:35 PM   #76
WKdeuce
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Did a little higher speed testing down one of our local washed out gravel roads.
It seems that it doesn't return to center as good as it once was, which made me realize I didn't do a final check on caster at ride height.

But I did test the flex, I'm very happy with my (only) 10" travel shocks.
This was light enough in the left rear that with a little push I could lift the tire off the ground.

The right rear just barely touches the back of the flare, but that bumpstop was more compressed than the front right shown.

WKdeuce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-15-2014, 04:15 PM   #77
Necromancer_tat
Where'd all my money go?

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Nice werk! What if any improvements have you made since? Are you still wheeling the same set up? If so what would you change?
Necromancer_tat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2014, 03:30 PM   #78
WKdeuce
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Yep, been driving on this since, had it aligned on my buddys rack, and haven't touched it since.
Design wise, it's OK, and was a great learning experience. Straight links sound good on paper but if the OEM and most aftermarkets use a bent track bar, they must be up to the task. Combining the straight drag link and WJ knuckle will cost you uptravel, but, my other main hangup is the tie rod at the pitman arm, and that's with the drag link on top of the pitman, so it's castle nut/tie rod clearance. The frame notch I have gives the track bar the clearance it needs up and to the point that the TR/pitman would hit, no reason to notch further than that. So clearly, a combination of bends that compress together must package tighter than the straight links can, because compared to say the Currie setup you wouldn't need any of the hack stuff I did, and with the driver side TRE flipped, most of your tie rod is higher than this is anyway, because XJ/TJ knuckles TRE tab sits higher than the WJ does, flip for flip XJ/TJ wins. The small amount of drag link below the passenger knuckle is the difference.
Mus say, it will take quite the beating, I refer to the tie rod as 'my other bumper'. Didn't bend until I blew my winch trying to pull this thing over a downed tree, now it's just a little higher clearance. I have 1" solid rod to sleeve it with, but really, it was stupidity that bent this one, so the benefit to weight probably isn't there for most of the time I drive it.

My main mistake was tie rod to passenger coil clearance. They rub. I think I could move the TB out about 1/2" with different misalignment spacers, or maybe a spacer and 1.6" johnny joint, but it barely touches so I haven't even done anything about it. I knew when I built it I had to space out past it, just simply didn't leave enough room.

Also, cutting that frame side TB mount off is a royal pain in the ***.

Here's a great view of it, and because I just today fired this motor for the first time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necromancer_tat View Post
1.Your signature cannot be longer than 100 characters including BB code markup.
ha! Nice sig. Mod burn.
Unread 04-17-2014, 04:41 PM   #79
Necromancer_tat
Where'd all my money go?

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Sounds pretty good, I'm assuming it still needs some tuning or sensors to be hooked up so it will idle normal?
Necromancer_tat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2014, 07:35 PM   #80
WKdeuce
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necromancer_tat View Post
Sounds pretty good, I'm assuming it still needs some tuning or sensors to be hooked up so it will idle normal?
Brake boost port was a wide open vaccuum leak, it was missing a cylinder cause an injector was half plugged in... yeah it's a lot smoother already, and idles way nicer now.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.