TJ: hp30, WJ knuckles, new Track Bar - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Advanced Jeep Tech > TJ: hp30, WJ knuckles, new Track Bar

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 01-15-2013, 06:33 AM   #46
MisfitSeven
MAIL Crawler.

1998 TJ Wrangler 

If you were to notch the frame... The notch wouldn't be too big, or too deep. Nothing that you couldn't fish plate afterwards.

Unread 01-15-2013, 05:22 PM   #47
WKdeuce
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Well in looking more at it, there's only another 1/2" or so before the tie rod hits the pitman arm.
So notching really ain't worth it.
WKdeuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2013, 05:35 PM   #48
MisfitSeven
MAIL Crawler.

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I wonder why my tie rod isn't that close?

It looks awesome!
Unread 01-16-2013, 07:49 AM   #49
WKdeuce
1998 TJ Wrangler 

track bar = 36"
drag link = 34"
I need to move the frame side of the track bar in a little bit...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisfitSeven View Post
I wonder why my tie rod isn't that close?

It looks awesome!
Are you using these?

Unread 01-16-2013, 08:23 AM   #50
GMBNT42
Web Wheeler
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WKdeuce View Post
track bar = 36"
drag link = 34"

Are you using these?

Where did you get these? Do they work with regular tie rods like the stock one or zj tie rod? Link?
GMBNT42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2013, 08:44 AM   #51
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Looking good man.

Notching the frame isn't tough and would gain you some room. Maybe you should reconsider it? You're doing this for travel so you might as well maximize it. Sway bar link mounts will be tricky but doing all of this then losing your sway bar wouldn't be an option for me and I doubt it is for you.

As for the frame side LCA mounts--do a little "beef and trim." Cut or order some 2" x 3/16" weld washers with a 9/16" center hole and bolt them up. Tack them in, remove the bolt and arm and weld them home. Trim off all the excess around it so you're left with a ~5/16" contact surface and smooth it all out. You just gained some clearance and are plenty thick where you need it. I did that to my rig when I ran the stock mounts and have done it to another one....works well.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2013, 08:55 AM   #52
WKdeuce
1998 TJ Wrangler 

^If I notch frame for the drag link, that only gains me another 1/2" of uptravel before the tie rod hits the bottom of the pitman arm. Only thing I can think of is that when I notched the insides of the WJ arm to re-clock it, I didn't score it deep enough, so I'm going to take it back off and check it out... Maybe the pitman arm isn't as far onto the steering box as it could be.
edit - I'm not giving up on it, but for 1/2" it doesn't seem worth it. If it gets me an inch or two more then yea I'll go for it.
I like that idea for the frame side LCAs. The first day I had this thing running I got stuck on a log - hung on the front LCA...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMBNT42 View Post
Where did you get these? Do they work with regular tie rods like the stock one or zj tie rod? Link?
http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/TREOFF.html

No they're bigger than stock Jeep stuff. and 7/8-18" thread, where I think the OEM stuff is a metric thread count.
Unread 01-16-2013, 12:08 PM   #53
MisfitSeven
MAIL Crawler.

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WKdeuce
track bar = 36"
drag link = 34"

Are you using these?
I am not using those TREs.

If you only have to notch your frame for an inch or less, then that's less material you need to remove. That's less work to do, plus it will keep the strength of your frame. The fish plating will just be for peace of mind.
Unread 01-16-2013, 12:29 PM   #54
MisfitSeven
MAIL Crawler.

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Will the Heim joint interfere with your coil spring if you move it over two inches? Maybe you can build a gusset off the inner C and over to the coil mount, then up to hold the Heim in place.

I was able to put a shock tab inside the corner of the truss for my axle mount. It's not pictured, but that's where mine is. I'll post pics as soon as I get it back.
image-4289555458.jpg  
Unread 01-16-2013, 05:20 PM   #55
WKdeuce
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisfitSeven View Post
Will the Heim joint interfere with your coil spring if you move it over two inches? Maybe you can build a gusset off the inner C and over to the coil mount, then up to hold the Heim in place.
The joint itself might not, but it would have to push forward quite a bit for any kind of mount there, and then it's into the drag link at left steering lock. I cut a coil in half so I could mock it up at bump, but with coil in for clearance (and not kill myself). I can trim the inside of the frame side mount, and bring it in at least an inch. If I'm an inch off in length, it's not gonna be the end of the world for me.

Looking forward to getting paid friday so I can get a pair of coils down at Quadratec, and see where this sits. JK OME 2" lift coils are 120# and 20" extended. The low rate should give the hockey pucks quite the workout.
Unread 01-19-2013, 06:38 PM   #56
WKdeuce
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Well I started this thread:
- 1 Attachment(s) Crossover steering - uptravel limiting factor?
To try to get a little more info, and did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcope17 View Post
Now... lower the drivers side of the axle to its lower limit while leaving the passenger side on the bumpstop... then turn full right.

After that, then you can say you don't need to modify the frame...
With that, I was loosing like 2" more inches of uptravel to the draglink. Would have needed like 5" of bumpstop.
So I cut a big chunk out, but only for the drag link not the track bar. It's probably bigger than it needed to be but oh well.
The TB and DL didn't come out perfectly parallel, but they're 35" and 34" respectively. Close enough.

I now have 11.5" between the coil perches compressed, and 21" extended. So just under 10" of travel. Hopefully ride height is close to the middle of that.

Unread 01-21-2013, 07:13 AM   #57
WKdeuce
1998 TJ Wrangler 

waiting on 2 jam nuts, a 6" 9/16ths bolt, rotors, and a high pressure PS line, coming in the mail.
probably going to get the 3" currie springs, and 10" travel bilsteins. I don't even think I'm going to ford tower the front, I found a post top 10" travel shock that measures out pretty good.

Unread 01-21-2013, 07:25 AM   #58
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Looking very good man, you've done what's necessary to make the sway worth it. I think you'll like the results.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2013, 07:40 AM   #59
WKdeuce
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
Looking very good man, you've done what's necessary to make the sway worth it. I think you'll like the results.
Thanks.
I need to sell the stock axles so I can get one. I can live without for a month or so, but it will happen. I already sold the JKS discos I had to fund part of this.

With the Currie 3" progressive, it should be 3.5" up, 6" down.
Unread 01-25-2013, 06:35 AM   #60
GMBNT42
Web Wheeler
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Make sure you weld on reinforcement plates on both sides of the frame rail where you notched out with some 3/16" stock. Otherwise your leaving yourself susceptible to major damage from a potentially hard front impact.
GMBNT42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.