TJ: hp30, WJ knuckles, new Track Bar - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Advanced Jeep Tech > TJ: hp30, WJ knuckles, new Track Bar

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Unread 01-03-2013, 08:17 AM   #16
MisfitSeven
MAIL Crawler.

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Have you decided which pitman arm you will run?

Unread 01-03-2013, 09:33 AM   #17
WKdeuce
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisfitSeven View Post
I liked that you said you fit the TRE above the arm, and something about using the WJ pitman with the WJ knuckles just seems to make sense. So I'm going to start there.
So I need to get that before I set the bracket location.
And I need to get some UPS deliveries before any of that can happen. Looks like ruff stuff & JKS will arrive monday. So I'll have the weekend to work and nothing to do.
WKdeuce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2013, 10:09 AM   #18
MisfitSeven
MAIL Crawler.

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I think I was able to pull off the TRE on top of the WJ pitman arm because of my body lift. Make sure it clears when turning.
Unread 01-05-2013, 01:15 PM   #19
WKdeuce
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Well I swore I wouldn't do it again, but I pulled a junkyard steering box. Hit shortys this morning, got one from a 98 Durango.

Also got some pitman arms. Wagoneer, WJ, and a chevy 1500 van. I like the WJ still. Need to ream it yet, but I notched the inside so it slips onto the box. The Van pitman would be good, but I don't think it has the length I need.

All in all, good morning at the yard.

chevy van
TJ
WJ
Wagoneer

Unread 01-05-2013, 01:41 PM   #20
MisfitSeven
MAIL Crawler.

1998 TJ Wrangler 

SJ pitman arms are tapered for Chevy wanton TREs...

What I did was drilled the WJ arm to 3/4" then fit a GoFerIt Offroad tie rod flip insert in it to have the TRE on top.
Unread 01-08-2013, 01:56 PM   #21
GMBNT42
Web Wheeler
2005 LJ Wrangler 

OK, we need to add some info here. How much lift are you using? Assuming adjustable CA's etc? Shocks, fender setup etc? BL? WHat is trying to be accomplished exactly? Sorry late to the party, but subscribed now because I think we are running down the same path. I am currently not lifted, but have a HP Dana 30 too, and started ordering parts for my lift. I want to use no or very minimal bumpstopping, regardless of how much I lift in the end(It will be in the 2-4" range on Long arms).
GMBNT42 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2013, 02:22 PM   #22
WKdeuce
1998 TJ Wrangler 

"what do you mean we kemosabe" haha...

Planning on 2" of suspension lift, currently have 1.5" of body lift.
Adjustable short arms, using mainly parts I have laying around.
It will have shocks when I get to them. I'm hoping to have about 10" of travel, with 5" in each direction. Those are very rough numbers, I have a lot to figure out before I figure that out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMBNT42 View Post
WHat is trying to be accomplished exactly?
Good question. I'll let you know when I figure that out too...
I'm trying to stay within PA state bumper height laws, so I don't want to jack it up, but I want to have travel, so I don't want to add a ton of bumpstopping, like is the common track bar solution. I'm also trying to get bigger brakes, and higher crossover steering.
I'm familiar with suspensions, not with suspension design. I've bolted on a lot of lift kits on Cherokees in the past 5 years, so I've seen what the common pre-packaged solutions for unibodys are.
I now have a TJ that I didn't pay much for, ideally when I'm "done" it should be able to legally make the 2 hour drive to Rausch Creek, be able to hang all day on black trails, then not need a trailer to get home.
Unread 01-08-2013, 03:08 PM   #23
GMBNT42
Web Wheeler
2005 LJ Wrangler 

THe problem with High steer applications though is that you run into swaybar link issues on the passenger side though don't you? I thought about doing some type of hi steer application, but it just wouldn't work with the aftermarket swayloc kit I run. Plus with hi steer applications with a low lift height your going to be running serious bumpstopping aren't you?

Again it seems like your goals and my goals are identical. I also only want to run a 2-4" lift and do so with no or very minimal bumpstopping. Want to maximize uptravel. THe only differences I see in yoursetup is going with SA's, I am going to go with a LA kit so I can get the lower control arm mounts on the axle to be flush with the axle tubes instead of hanging below them.
Unread 01-08-2013, 06:24 PM   #24
WKdeuce
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
your going to be running serious bumpstopping aren't you?
I can't really answer that.
Yet...
This is about the distance that it will need to be stopped.
There's a lot that needs to fit in the same spot.
This picture is looking straight down where the TB will be, any more uptravel the bar would hit frame. I need to get some PVC or conduit or something to mock things up with. The frame side bracket is just tacked, I think it can move forward yet.

Sorry the pictures suck. These aren't stock coil buckets. They're centered & tight to the tube.
The IRO gusset is just tacked on. I'm thinking I can use it to mount a heim to.
Similiar to where pcoplin landed his track bar.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/3-...l#post11455989

man that bracket is "new" metal and it looks decades old from rust haha.

Quote:
Again it seems like your goals and my goals are identical. I also only want to run a 2-4" lift and do so with no or very minimal bumpstopping. Want to maximize uptravel. THe only differences I see in yoursetup is going with SA's, I am going to go with a LA kit so I can get the lower control arm mounts on the axle to be flush with the axle tubes instead of hanging below them.
I don't think that arm length has much to do with axle end LCA mount placement. If you move the axle end LCA mount up, I would think you'd want to move the axle end UCA up the same amount. Or something.
I just added 1/4" LCA brackets to the 30, in pretty much the same spot.
Unread 01-08-2013, 06:43 PM   #25
GMBNT42
Web Wheeler
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WKdeuce View Post
I can't really answer that.
Yet...
This is about the distance that it will need to be stopped.
There's a lot that needs to fit in the same spot.
This picture is looking straight down where the TB will be, any more uptravel the bar would hit frame. I need to get some PVC or conduit or something to mock things up with. The frame side bracket is just tacked, I think it can move forward yet.

Sorry the pictures suck. These aren't stock coil buckets. They're centered & tight to the tube.
The IRO gusset is just tacked on. I'm thinking I can use it to mount a heim to.
Similiar to where pcoplin landed his track bar.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/3-...l#post11455989

man that bracket is "new" metal and it looks decades old from rust haha.

I don't think that arm length has much to do with axle end LCA mount placement. If you move the axle end LCA mount up, I would think you'd want to move the axle end UCA up the same amount. Or something.
I just added 1/4" LCA brackets to the 30, in pretty much the same spot.
With a long arm kit, the lower axle control arm mounts will shift up behind the axle tube. The upper axle control arm mount will move a tad higher too, but not as much. With long arms the total separation isn't as critical, as I still have enough separation, and the frame side links are within proper proportion still. THey can be a bit closer together with no ill effects.
Unread 01-10-2013, 09:59 AM   #26
WKdeuce
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
What TRE do you have on top of the pitman. ES2027L? They're huge.
I ordered a ES2234R at NAPA today...

Also. I made a PVC track bar last night. The IRO knuckle gusset doesn't sit proud enough of the inner C for the track bar to clear the coil spring. So I need to space it out a bit further than that. I can go double shear and mount it sideways (so the bolt sits vertical) but that seems like it would be counter productive to travel...
Or I can space it off the knuckle, but that will likely end up single shear. But would seem to travel better.
Unread 01-10-2013, 10:15 AM   #27
MisfitSeven
MAIL Crawler.

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I run either ES140R or ES62L on top of my pitman. They are stock CJ TREs. Part of Rusty's steering.
Unread 01-10-2013, 11:21 AM   #28
rchase559
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisfitSeven
I run either ES140R or ES62L on top of my pitman. They are stock CJ TREs. Part of Rusty's steering.
Do you have any pictures of your steering?
rchase559 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2013, 11:36 AM   #29
MisfitSeven
MAIL Crawler.

1998 TJ Wrangler 

This is what I can do for now. I don't have anything current, and nothing of the TRE over the pitman arm. If my Tcase hadn't locked up and taken out my rear ring and pinion, I could get them. This was my old axle. Same steering.
image-96885505.jpg   image-3154968663.jpg  
Unread 01-10-2013, 12:05 PM   #30
WKdeuce
1998 TJ Wrangler 

heh. Lemme get a mirror out... I scrapped my DJ-5 years ago.

Quote:
It looks like CJ is the same 20mm thread as the Wagoneer.
I have access to the 7/8"-18 tap...
Hopefully the ES2234R will give me enough travel before binding.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.