TJ: hp30, WJ knuckles, new Track Bar - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Advanced Jeep Tech > TJ: hp30, WJ knuckles, new Track Bar

Great prices on seating!--Oconee Off-RoadTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGTJ, YJ & LJ Drop Down Tail Gate Conversion Kit

Unread 12-23-2012, 02:44 PM   #1
WKdeuce
1998 TJ Wrangler 

TJ: hp30, WJ knuckles, new Track Bar

I'm going out of my comfort zone on this. I'm posting here, hopefully to find those of you that have gone down this road before. Here's what I think my plan is.

High Pinion 30
mostly stock axle mounts (exception being track bar & sway mounts)
WJ knuckles (& pitman?)
crossover steering with custom flipped tie rod
Custom track bar.

I'm looking at double shear frame side mounts. My rough numbers say move the frame side forward 2", and up about 1.5". So I'll need a raised pitman arm, with enough throw to go lock to lock. Research says that a WJ pitman might work.

Here's where it gets hairy (for me at least)
After spending the day staring at the axle at full bump, I've removed the stock track bar mount. I can't see any way that it's in a good spot for what I want to happen, and most seem to agree that 2" of bumpstop is needed to run a decent track bar with it. With 2" of extended bumpstop, there goes wheel travel.

This opens the can of worms. There's no turning back now.

Here's where I'm at. Uppers are hanging there just for quick axle locating.

I'm shooting for spring completion. I have a good bit of the parts assembled, but waiting until the new year for another good sized order.

WKdeuce is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2012, 04:57 PM   #2
MisfitSeven
MAIL Crawler.

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I have found that the upper hole in the RuffStuff outside-of-the-frame track bar mount works with a WJ pitman arm with the TRE mounted on top. This will give you a longer drag link as well.

This is my setup with *gasp* Rusty's steering conversion OTK. NOT their OTK steering kit, though.
Unread 12-26-2012, 07:37 PM   #3
MisfitSeven
MAIL Crawler.

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Also, my TRE at the pitman arm is on the same plane as if I were using a flat arm. I would have used a CJ pitman arm, but they are not as strong as a YJ, TJ, or WJ. The WJ arm needs to have the notches ground down to fit the TJ steering boxes. But then you will be able to clock to whatever works best.
Unread 12-27-2012, 07:16 AM   #4
WKdeuce
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisfitSeven View Post
I have found that the upper hole in the RuffStuff outside-of-the-frame track bar mount works with a WJ pitman arm with the TRE mounted on top. This will give you a longer drag link as well.

This is my setup with *gasp* Rusty's steering conversion OTK. NOT their OTK steering kit, though.
Thanks, my other thought was a Wagoneer pitman. The CJ arm would not have enough length right?
I already ordered Ruff Stuff's panhard kit, I did go with the inside frame mount though, only because that's where the steering box is.
Now that you said that though, I guess it would remain more parallel through travel if the frame end of the track bar & drag link have the same (or close to) horizontal offset as the axle will have? i.e. since the track bar's axle end will be inboard of the knuckle quite a bit, it's better to have the track bar outside the frame?
Unread 12-27-2012, 08:00 AM   #5
MisfitSeven
MAIL Crawler.

1998 TJ Wrangler 

The TJ/YJ pitman arms are the same for the most part. CJ pitman arms are the same length, but flat. People don't run CJ arms on TJs because it doesn't match the stock track bar mount on the frame. Plus they break, and might contact the radiator. But they are the same length, just no drop.

The track bar MUST BE. The same length as the drag link. Otherwise you will have bump steer.
Unread 12-27-2012, 08:03 AM   #6
MisfitSeven
MAIL Crawler.

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Will you have room to mount the track bar mount on the outside of the frame? Some track bar mounts get too crazy, but I had good luck with the RuffStuff mount matching what I needed.

Are you running an anti rock? With enough down travel, you might interfere with the outside mount. I just made my links longer.
Unread 12-27-2012, 08:04 AM   #7
MisfitSeven
MAIL Crawler.

1998 TJ Wrangler 

My sway bar links for my Gen-Right anti rock. Was what I meant.
Unread 12-27-2012, 08:13 AM   #8
WKdeuce
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Will you have room to mount the track bar mount on the outside of the frame? Some track bar mounts get too crazy, but I had good luck with the RuffStuff mount matching what I needed.

Are you running an anti rock? With enough down travel, you might interfere with the outside mount. I just made my links longer.
I am planning on it, I don't have it yet. With an outside mount, I could see that there might be an issue though. Worst case I bend the AR arms out...
I'll get on the horn with Ruff Stuff once those west coast guys wake up, and see if I can switch that bracket before it ships.

Makes perfect sense about the lengths having to match - Thanks for the input.
Unread 12-27-2012, 10:17 AM   #9
WKdeuce
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Just spoke with the guys at Ruff Stuff they agree that outside the frame will give me a better chance of getting the geometry right.
Unread 12-27-2012, 10:24 AM   #10
MisfitSeven
MAIL Crawler.

1998 TJ Wrangler 

If you use the upper hole, make sure you're track bar does not hit your harmonic balancer. Especially if you use a longer pitman arm. This pushes your track bar bracket mounting location at the frame back.
Unread 01-02-2013, 03:37 PM   #11
WKdeuce
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I've made some progress, spent most of the holiday week sick as a dog though.
WJ ball joints are installed, knuckles are drilled & wire wheeled, axle end track bar bracket is gone.

I'm considering cutting the coil bucket off, and putting one on that's centered on the axle. This will force me to cheat the axle forward about an inch.
This would allow the track bar mount to be tighter to the tube though.
I also haven't built the control arms yet, so this is still only a matter of how long I cut the tube for those.
Is that a can of worms I don't want to open, or is there any other benefit to centering the coil on the axle?
Unread 01-02-2013, 08:39 PM   #12
MisfitSeven
MAIL Crawler.

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I used JK coil mounts. They are centered on the axle tube. Since you haven't cut your tubing yet, now would be perfect to run centered coil mounts.

Your lower shock mounts will need to be moved. I would plan on placing them on the LCA mounts.
Unread 01-02-2013, 08:44 PM   #13
MisfitSeven
MAIL Crawler.

1998 TJ Wrangler 

And another thing you will need to look at will be the placement on the axle for sway bar links. I was able to run short tabs on the front of the tube. I needed make longer links, but they don't interfere with my steering and were cheaper than extended sway bar mounts.

Are you running a truss? Or will be running a truss with this axle?
Unread 01-03-2013, 07:25 AM   #14
WKdeuce
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
And another thing you will need to look at will be the placement on the axle for sway bar links. I was able to run short tabs on the front of the tube. I needed make longer links, but they don't interfere with my steering and were cheaper than extended sway bar mounts.

Are you running a truss? Or will be running a truss with this axle?
I think I might actually be able to land them on the inner C. With a Z bend of sorts in the link mount itself. I'll be burning on the Iron Rock Offroad gussets, without having them to mock up yet, it seems like sway link mounts might work there.

I don't plan to truss this axle, but Artec's new 30 kit looks nice...

If you have any pictures of your setup, I'd like to see what you got goin on.
Unread 01-03-2013, 07:55 AM   #15
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Sounds like a good reason to move the axle forward, which shouldn't be a problem as long as you can fit the steering linkage and track bar. I'm assuming you're going custom on the track bar so put it where it fits.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.