TF999 Rebuild - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Advanced Jeep Tech > TF999 Rebuild

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 03-21-2012, 04:08 PM   #1
VACJ5
1991 YJ Wrangler 

TF999 Rebuild

I have a spare 4.0 and TF999 lying around. I am building them both to swap out my wore out old motor and trans.

These torque flights are really easy to work with. No real specialty tools needed, a pick set and some good snap ring pliers. I took the pan off and pretty stoked by what I found. Turns out this trans has an electronic solenoid for a lock up converter. Unfortunately my 91 doesn't have the electrical connection for a lock up converter off the pcm. BUT, this is a simple 1 wire solenoid that is internally grounded. So I am going to hook a switch on the dash with a 12V+ and wallah! have a "4th gear" when I am on the highway.

This is the part I was interested about... Will some of you guys who have rebuilt a transmission take a look at these bands and clutch plates. They look like they are in good condition to me. I actually believe this thing might have been recently rebuilt due to the fact that all of the gaskets looked new and oil seals. I figure while I'm in there I will still replace everything, but I just wanted some opinions on the condition of these clutches.

I am going to start modifying the valve body for the Transgo shift kit.

img190.jpg   p1030744.jpg   p1030749.jpg   p1030750.jpg  

BeachMetalWorks Custom CNC cut Jeep parts & more
VACJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2012, 10:47 AM   #2
dusterdude
1996 ZJ 

Im no expert but they look good to me
dusterdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2012, 03:30 AM   #3
budello
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I'm going to rebuilt my tf999 too. I have a spare tf 999 that I just opened for take a look inside and band and clutch are worst than yours. They have black stripe and look worn. Yours seem near new.
Are you planning modify the vent hose moving it from the pump to the top of the case?
Let us know about the rebuild!
budello is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2012, 11:16 AM   #4
VACJ5
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Yep, I was worried about welding up the vent hole and warping the pump, so I saw where a fellow YJ owner on here drilled and tapped it. Plugged it with a flush hex head screw and RTV'd the heck out of it.

The transmission itself is really easy to work on. Only tools I really used were a pair of snap ring pliers, a small pick set and standard sockets. Just pay attention to the order you take things apart... sit them off to the side in the same order.

BeachMetalWorks Custom CNC cut Jeep parts & more
VACJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.