tearing into the 205 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Advanced Jeep Tech > tearing into the 205

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 07-24-2013, 05:52 PM   #1
jason m

tearing into the 205

I'm going to be using a 205 T-case in my upcoming buggy build so I figure I would show some pic's of the case build.
The case is a Ford, so that means to match my TH-475 trans that will be used I need to install a 32 spline Chevy input.

After that install it will get a rail mod to make it so I can front and rear dig and of course get some twin stick's.

The case sat at a friends house for many years but ( not to my surprise ) the case internals are fine, this is true American iron.

Onto some pics of the beginning stages of the process.

the case,

The 32 spline input,

The front bearing plate and old 31 spline input,

And the last one for now of the inside of the PTO cover, gears look perfect what did you expect its a 205

More to come,

Jason.

And on the 8th day, God created the 14 bolt....
jason m is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2013, 06:59 PM   #2
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Really looking forward to this one. Nice start, Jason.
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2013, 03:42 PM   #3
jason m

Ok since it rained today and didn't have much work come in I figure its a good time for the case to come apart.

First after I took the 1330 yoke off the end I poped the back tail cover off.

Now the rear 32 spline tail shaft and gear come's out. Be carful here cause there is 15 needle bearings that are inside of the tail cone. If they drop into the case and you will need to fish them out threw the PTO cover area.

Inside shot of the needle bearings.

Now in between taken the case apart I fired up the lathe and started to whip up some twin stick from some 6061 1" round Alu, set the table on slow speed so I wouldn't forget it.

Jason.

Unread 07-25-2013, 04:05 PM   #4
jason m

Next up is to remove the 31 spline input and pop the front bearing retainer plate off.

This is the two input shafts next to each other, the longer one is the one going into the case. That ring there is the locking collar for 4 wheel drive.

This is the case empty, I will pull the front shift shaft while its at this stage and do the grinding Mod to get a front low range dig, or rear.

Last one for tonight is the sticks, I still need to work on the top section like bevel the edges and knurl the grip area.

I left them long and will maybe cut them down if needed, but they case needs to get installed, but ya there is no buggy yet, but will be soon.

Jason.

Unread 07-26-2013, 11:56 PM   #5
ltrail
1984 XJ Cherokee 

What are you building here? Looks clean so you're off to a good start. just finished building my 205. You got lucky, my case came with the smaller outputs.

I've since fixed that, and did the twin stick. Now trying to get some goodies together for the 203.

What's a shipping label for a set of those fancy levers cost these days lol.
Unread 07-27-2013, 07:46 AM   #6
jason m

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltrail View Post
What are you building here? Looks clean so you're off to a good start. just finished building my 205. You got lucky, my case came with the smaller outputs.

I've since fixed that, and did the twin stick. Now trying to get some goodies together for the 203.

What's a shipping label for a set of those fancy levers cost these days lol.
Hey buddy haven't spoke to ya in a little while, you must have a Chevy 205, cause they where the only ones to use the smaller 10 or 30 spline output front.

I have made some progress on the case rebuild but some of the steps I skipped the pics, I had a load od wood drop in the yard and need to start on that for next years heat.

Jason.

Unread 07-27-2013, 08:24 AM   #7
ltrail
1984 XJ Cherokee 

it appears that you marked the internal gears to keep them clocked. I have heard of doing such, however my case has all ford internals. They looked better than my Chevy set.

Happy building.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.