Tbi 350 Swap to 700r4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Advanced Jeep Tech > Tbi 350 Swap to 700r4

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW ZJ Grand Cherokee Tube DoorsGibson WK HEMI 3" Catback - 5 Day Special!

Unread 06-08-2015, 01:46 PM   #1
AZdEvilYJ
RIP Anticanman

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Yj Tbi 350 Swap to 700r4

So Im in the beginning stages of my 350 swap and have been trying to find an answer to my question with little to no luck.

Background:
My tbi 350 came from a 1994 Chevy c1500 backed by 4l60e.
The tranny I pulled is a 1988 700r4 with the 231c HD from and s10 Blazer.

Question:
What do I need to do to the trans or ECU to get them to work together correctly (ie shift, set idle, etc). Do I need to send the ecu for a tune or do I need any certain electronics from the donor s10 or c1500?

From what Ive read the ECU and TCM "talk" in the 1994 but what consequences will this leave with the 700r4??

I do not have the TCM from the 4l60e or wiring for the 700r4 as of now, but the junkyards are a plenty.

Thanks!

My Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/a...nally-1575209/
AZdEvilYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2015, 05:06 PM   #2
AZdEvilYJ
RIP Anticanman

1995 YJ Wrangler 

I may have found the answer to my own question, but advice and knowledge is still welcome.

Please correct me if i'm wrong, but if i'm understanding correctly, instead of the computer controlled shifts like the 4l60e, the 700r4 uses a throttle valve cable for shifting and a brake switch circuit relay to control the lock up for the converter.

The lack of TCM may only just throw a CE code unless I can get it tuned out. I'm still unsure if performance is affected.

Heres a link to the brake switch to control lockup
http://www.bowtieoverdrives.com/cata...php?ITEMID=332

and some FYI about the TV cable
http://www.tvmadeez.com/article/index.php

My Build Thread
Unread 06-08-2015, 06:44 PM   #3
jason m
Nothing but the facts

I know my 700r in my jeep with my 4.0 I just had to get the detent cable fitted correctly. I think your thinking of a 4l60 that's a ECU shift trans.

But this is going back ten years or more now so, ya........

Jason.

And on the 8th day, God created the 14 bolt....
jason m is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2015, 08:34 PM   #4
AZdEvilYJ
RIP Anticanman

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason m
I know my 700r in my jeep with my 4.0 I just had to get the detent cable fitted correctly. I think your thinking of a 4l60 that's a ECU shift trans. But this is going back ten years or more now so, ya........ Jason.
TV cable aka detent or kickdown. Yea the 4l60e is comp controlled, but my motor had the 4l60e and I'm goin to use the 700 so I was curious if my motor would have any issues not using the 4l60e

My Build Thread
Unread 06-08-2015, 09:09 PM   #5
dahreno

The TV cable is not a kickdown cable and must be adjusted properly or you'll have serious problems. It has to be pulled by linkage on your carb. When you step on the gas pedal half way, the TV cable must be pulled half way. 1/4 push of the pedal pulls the cable 1/4 way, and so forth. That's how the tranny determines when to shift. Get that wrong and it will shift early, or late, slip or jamb in gear. Better off with a 4l60e
dahreno is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2015, 09:15 PM   #6
AZdEvilYJ
RIP Anticanman

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahreno
The TV cable is not a kickdown cable and must be adjusted properly or you'll have serious problems. It has to be pulled by linkage on your carb. When you step on the gas pedal half way, the TV cable must be pulled half way. 1/4 push of the pedal pulls the cable 1/4 way, and so forth. That's how the tranny determines when to shift. Get that wrong and it will shift early, or late, slip or jamb in gear. Better off with a 4l60e
The 4l60e was 2wd and no good.

I understand the TV cable thing, and I also posted an informative link about the TV cable. I used detent and kickdown as alternative names since the name Tends to be interchanged on many forums although they are very different.

All that aside, my question still stands... What are the consequences of going to a 700r4 from the 4l60e as far as the computer controls are concerned.

My Build Thread
Unread 06-09-2015, 05:40 AM   #7
jason m
Nothing but the facts

I now understand your question regarding your motors computer. I'm pretty sure its not going to sense that the trans is different. Worst case if it does just send it out to be flashed and have that part eliminated from the computer.

Jason.

And on the 8th day, God created the 14 bolt....
jason m is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-09-2015, 02:05 PM   #8
AZdEvilYJ
RIP Anticanman

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason m View Post
I now understand your question regarding your motors computer. I'm pretty sure its not going to sense that the trans is different. Worst case if it does just send it out to be flashed and have that part eliminated from the computer.

Jason.
What it will sense is that the transmission is not there and corresponding sensors. I think that a flash would be in order.

My Build Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.