Suspension mounting points - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Advanced Jeep Tech > Suspension mounting points

Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 03-17-2012, 09:29 PM   #1
sterdest
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Suspension mounting points

Here's the deal...I'm trussing a d dana 44 for the front of my cherokee and I have future mod questions. I have a six inch long arm lift on it right now that came on it. I want to change that to a four link eventually. Here's the question part, I am wondering if it will be the same mounting points on the axle for a four link as it is for the long arm. And would doing a triangulated 4 link be different? Thanks

Unread 03-18-2012, 07:47 AM   #2
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

If you're wanting to do a 4 link, you'll need enough triangulation in the system to keep the axle laterally constrained, so triangulation is a given. The stock mounting points for the lowers 'could' work but they're too low for good geometry, especially at that height. Additionally, you'll likely have a small amount of triangulation in the lowers and you'll want the mounts to be at that angle to prevent binding. I run a 'single triangulated' setup with 10* lowers (wider at axle with the frame mounting points inside of the frame rails) and 25* uppers. The stock upper frame mounts will certainly not work, nor will the axle mounts. Your best bet is to cut everything off and start fresh.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2012, 09:20 AM   #3
sterdest
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Ok thanks
Unread 03-18-2012, 09:14 PM   #4
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

All those designs require different kinds of mount points, locations and angles. fitting a triangulated for link in the front of a cherokee is not easy. I suggest some pirate build thread reading.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2012, 07:40 AM   #5
sterdest
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Will do. Thanks
Unread 03-19-2012, 09:17 AM   #6
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

To add to it--a 4 link setup in the front means you're no longer using a track bar to do the lateral constraining. So when your axle moves up and down, it no longer moves side to side. If you want proper behavior without constant bump steer, full hydro steering needs to be on your list. Having a drag link without a track bar is wrong no matter how 'well' you do it.

Personally, a 3 link using 2 lowers and 1 single upper + a track bar while maintaining a steering box and conventional linkage is far more appealing to me. If this will be trail-only, then do whatever you want. If you want it to drive well on the street, then go that route instead.
Unread 03-19-2012, 09:57 AM   #7
sterdest
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Hmmm. The three link sounds appealing. Right now there is nothing on the axle. I am building a truss for it and would like to incorporate the mounts into the truss. so I can pretty much go any route. I was just wondering if I could leave it long arm for now and then do something better later with the axle mounts that would be needed for the long arm. I guess I just upgrade now and be done with it. Thanks again.
Unread 03-19-2012, 12:38 PM   #8
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I suggest you do some serious research.....there's a lot more to it than the length of the arms. Before you dive in, you really need to have a solid understanding of the geometrical terms and how those parameters are derived. Knowing the why's and how's are pretty key to building a good-functioning suspension.
Unread 04-18-2012, 02:57 AM   #9
Loner
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Interesting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
If you're wanting to do a 4 link, you'll need enough triangulation in the system to keep the axle laterally constrained, so triangulation is a given. The stock mounting points for the lowers 'could' work but they're too low for good geometry, especially at that height. Additionally, you'll likely have a small amount of triangulation in the lowers and you'll want the mounts to be at that angle to prevent binding. I run a 'single triangulated' setup with 10* lowers (wider at axle with the frame mounting points inside of the frame rails) and 25* uppers. The stock upper frame mounts will certainly not work, nor will the axle mounts. Your best bet is to cut everything off and start fresh.
Sorry to hijack from OP but I'm in the process of reducing my lift and things are tight. Looking for examples of well done triangulated systems to solve some real estate issues north of the axle.

Got pix?

Just found a few of them under a different search: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f369/...-help-1326668/

Last edited by Loner; 04-18-2012 at 03:18 PM.. Reason: found link
Loner is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.