suspension guys please help wont flex - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Advanced Jeep Tech > suspension guys please help wont flex

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under

Unread 02-19-2012, 05:23 PM   #1
cherokeemudman0
1989 XJ Cherokee 

suspension guys please help wont flex

i am in the process of installing a rustys 8.5 lift. they havent be able to give me any help on phone and im out of ideas.so far i have put in my lca brackets and made crossemeber for the long arm setup. both of the lower arms are at same angle and upper arms are at same angle. i have cut the uca mounts off the long are since my truss made the angles of upper arms wrong (hiem was almost maxed out) and set the so that the heim joint is now straight. i tried to flex the truck wiithout coils in it on jackstands. i can lift the passenger side up to 11 deq angle and then driverside starts coming up. i can lift driverside up to a 7 deg angle and passenger side starts lifting. it seems really tight and bound up but there is no pressure on the bolts or any force of any kind i had to use to assembly it. if i remove the uca's the axle will flex as much as i can jack it up with no prob but as soon as the uca are in its stiff. i thought this radious setup would flex like crazy but its all bound up and im at a loss. here are some pics if anyonr can help with ideas i would really appricate it.

6664.jpg   6665.jpg   6667.jpg   6668.jpg   6669.jpg  

cherokeemudman0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-19-2012, 05:33 PM   #2
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

That's standard radius arm for you. Just visualize what's going on when you articulate and it should click....RA's rely on bind so it's inevitable that you'll have plenty of it in the system. It'll go further when you've actually got the weight of the Jeep pushing down on it but the bushings won't be happy. Do your research next time.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-19-2012, 06:01 PM   #3
cherokeemudman0
1989 XJ Cherokee 

i did alot of research before i did it. i see lots of xj with a RA setup getting tons of flex. this is my first attempt at this so pointing it right dirrection would help. i thought putting the heim joints in instead of the flex joints would help also. what would be better a 3 link setup?
Unread 02-19-2012, 06:09 PM   #4
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

3 link it for more flex.
wushaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-21-2012, 03:50 PM   #5
cherokeemudman0
1989 XJ Cherokee 

narrowed the prob down to being something with the trac bar. without it axle is free and flexs but when its on its stiff. anyone input on how to fix this prob?
Unread 02-21-2012, 04:53 PM   #6
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

You're at 8" of lift man. Most of the droop in your TRE's and track bar are already taken up at ride height. Droop isn't gonna be something in your repertoire without some rework or some lowering.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-21-2012, 08:45 PM   #7
ftgiles

You've got plenty of triangulation doing what triangulation does... Bind!

Too much separation at the axle and way too much angle on the track bar.
ftgiles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-09-2012, 12:40 AM   #8
collin9749
1998 XJ Cherokee 

If you are not running a nice over the knuckle steering your articulation will be very limited
collin9749 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-09-2012, 12:45 PM   #9
Jaric00n
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Ok...noob remark here....but shouldn't the lower control arms and upper control arms be independent?
in pic #1 it looks like your upper control arms are attached to the lower control arms....that might be a problem?
looking at a bunch of pics on google and none of them show the UCA attached to the LCAs

just an observation....
Jaric00n is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-09-2012, 01:43 PM   #10
foggybottombob
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaric00n View Post
Ok...noob remark here....but shouldn't the lower control arms and upper control arms be independent?
in pic #1 it looks like your upper control arms are attached to the lower control arms....that might be a problem?
looking at a bunch of pics on google and none of them show the UCA attached to the LCAs

just an observation....
It is a common practice to have Y links for long arms.

Clayton Long arms:
http://eastcoastgearsupply.com/i-497...g-arm-kit.html
TNT customs long arms:
http://www.tntcustoms.com/Rock-Tek/4...erokee_XJ.aspx
Iron Rock Offroad long arms:
http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merch...egory_Code=PFX
foggybottombob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-09-2012, 01:54 PM   #11
Jaric00n
2005 LJ Wrangler 

interesting....
Thank for the info foggybottombob!
Jaric00n is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2012, 05:28 PM   #12
addicted2dunes
1981 CJ8 

Take one of the two upper links out, that is how my suspension is setup. When you articulate the upper arm that is drooping is pulling on the axle tube, the one compressing is pushing the axle tube. I've seen people like this that have spun the axle tubes right out of the pumpkin when trying to flex too much. Since you are straight axle you can pull one upper link, I say the side away from the driveshaft. Here is mine:

I only have an upper link on the passenger side, I thought I had a pic of the driver's side but I guess not. No upper link on that side.
addicted2dunes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-16-2012, 01:55 PM   #13
Climbit
1999 XJ Cherokee 

the simple fix is to remove the passenger side upper arm, that will reduce some of the inherrent bind in the Radius arm system.

IF you do that you need to replace the existing upper arm bolts with at least 9/16"" bolts, the stock size bolts are not strong enough to only rely on one. you should also probably change the upper mount for a 2.5" joint, instead of a 2".
I would reccomend wedling an insert into the upper arm, putting a 2.5" johnny joint in it, and welding 2 tabs onto your truss to capture it.

you are also going to run into some serious difficulties with the trackbar being that high. it will severely limit your droop, the best thing you can do is build a new trackbar that uses rod ends instead of TREs, raise the axle end, lower the frame end a bit, and then build yourself a steering system to match the angle of the new TB.
Climbit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-17-2012, 08:54 PM   #14
fratis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftgiles View Post
You've got plenty of triangulation doing what triangulation does... Bind!
thats a bit simplistic. a triangulated system can be very compliant. what he has is a radius system and this is how they work.

Quote:
Too much separation at the axle
without measuring it looks similar to most link systems.

Quote:
and way too much angle on the track bar.
the pic is obviously showing full droop.
Unread 03-18-2012, 11:39 AM   #15
addicted2dunes
1981 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fratis View Post
thats a bit simplistic. a triangulated system can be very compliant. what he has is a radius system and this is how they work.

without measuring it looks similar to most link systems.

the pic is obviously showing full droop.
Out of that whole post what was your help to the original post?
addicted2dunes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.