Suspension Geometry - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Advanced Jeep Tech > Suspension Geometry

Dual Color LED Light Bars White/AmberTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGAlloy USA Still Available

Unread 10-29-2012, 02:42 AM   #76
9703tj
1997 TJ Wrangler 

On an axle using a track bar the roll axis is going to be the height of the center of the track bar. Thus raising the track bar upwards will increase the roll stability of the vehicle.

On an axle using a triangulated 4 link set up and no track bar, the roll axis is going to be the center between the two upper links where they attach to the axle.

As far as a double triangulated system is concerned, the roll axis should be the same as a single triangulated 4 link set up.

A wishbone upper link will have the roll axis at the point that the wishbone link attaches to the top of the axle.

What I would like to learn is how does a sway bar, or lack there of effect the roll axis? If at all?

9703tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2012, 03:48 AM   #77
Motas
1983 CJ10 

From my research the sway bar does not actually effect the roll axis since it is not part of the definition of a roll axis but it will effect the same things the roll axis does.
So from your definition the roll axis at the rear is the height of the axle mounting points of the uppers (so just over the pumpkin in most cases), and in the centre of the vehicle (in most cases)?
Im trying to set mine up for higher speeds and for use in forests and deserts mostly. So I want it to soak up bumps and washouts well without getting off balance around corners and hills or bouncy, but still be able to go slow in precarious situations. So my aim is about 110% anti squat (to keep the front end down on hill climbs but not enough to hop), 110% anti dive (same except descents), a low roll axis tilted forward (low roll axis absorbs bumps, no idea why tilting forward is better for street) and mid arm length. Will also run good swaybars not the stock ones to help keep it upright with the low roll axis. Anti squat and dive is easy for me to work out. But with the roll axis to achieve my aim I should mount the front track bar low and the rear upper axle end mounts should be a few inches above the centre height of the trackbar? Does all this seem like a good plan or am I off the mark for the numbers?
Thankyou.
Thanks.
Unread 10-29-2012, 06:31 AM   #78
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

The roll center height is defined by the track bar frame mount. If there's not a track bar present, then look at the next links that are laterally locating the axle. If the uppers are doing all of the work in that regard, then that's where the roll center is located on that end. Obviously the more work the lowers are doing (more triangulation), the lower the roll center will be.

The roll axis is just a line that goes through the separate front and rear roll centers and is the axis about which the vehicle rolls. The flatter you have the axis (the closer to 0 in the calc), the less unwanted steering input you'll get through the suspension cycle, regardless of arm length. Play with the separation, mainly the lower link separation at the frame and you'll see the roll axis change. If you look at the screen shots I posted early on in this thread, I'm sitting at 0 roll axis so I'll get minimal steering input when cycling.

FYI, just because the roll axis isn't low and tilting forward doesn't mean that your rig won't drive well at high speeds through rough stuff. Personally, I'd rather have a higher roll center and flatter roll axis than anything else. Stability and predictability are what I value the most. In my suspension's previous setup, it felt great through the high speed whoops and I was consistently the fastest one of the group through them. It should be considerably better this time around and the roll center and roll axis haven't changed.

When it comes to sway bars, don't let them even enter the equation. All they're doing is working with what they're given.

And as for your anti-squat, you don't want to shoot for >100% if you can help it, which you can. I know what you're thinking--if the rear end doesn't squat, the front end won't rise. Wrong. Focus on one end at a time. The last thing you want is high AS in the rear suspension when climbing steep ledges/walls. Hopping due to the high AS will cause a lot more trouble than you think. Shoot for 60-80% and when you do the rear, focus on keeping the anti-dive in a similar range. If you feel like it unloads on you too much, go with a center limit strap. I bet it ends up being a non-issue for you, though.
Imped is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2012, 03:05 PM   #79
Motas
1983 CJ10 

Yes that was exactly what I was thinking. I don't think hopping would be a huge issue though since we have such little traction. Now when I really think about it realize the front and rear are independent of each other and just because the rear raises it doesn't force the front to dive.
For the front the track bar should be parallel and equal length to the tie rod so would I be best making that correct and then making the 4 link have a flat roll axis with the midpoint of this?
Thanks.
Unread 10-29-2012, 03:29 PM   #80
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motas View Post
Yes that was exactly what I was thinking. I don't think hopping would be a huge issue though since we have such little traction.
Little traction can cause more issues due to the vicious cycle of traction/no traction. That's exactly what causes hopping.
Quote:
Now when I really think about it realize the front and rear are independent of each other and just because the rear raises it doesn't force the front to dive.
Correct.
Quote:
For the front the track bar should be parallel and equal length to the tie rod so would I be best making that correct and then making the 4 link have a flat roll axis with the midpoint of this?
Thanks.
Tie rod? No. Drag link? Yes. The mounting points need to be parallel and as close to equal-length as you can manage. The roll axis in the front is defined by the height of the track bar frame mount. If you've got a flat roll axis, your front track bar frame mount and rear upper link mounts are at about the same height from the ground. Still, it's not something you really need to focus on. Work on the rear first and then worry about the front. If you do it right and focus on the right stuff, it'll all work out well when viewed from an aggregate point of view.
Unread 10-29-2012, 03:44 PM   #81
Treton
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Ive been searching to no avail, so could someone one send me a link to the calc? I found one but it was in millimeters and I see Imped's is in inches.
Treton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2012, 03:56 PM   #82
Motas
1983 CJ10 

Sorry I get confused between tie rod and drag link but I know what I mean. If I am trying to get them parallel and equal length wouldn't the mount be the same height as the steering box? So the roll height is decided for me.
So what should I be concentrating on? Obviously what fits where is a given, and strength is another. But what should I be concentrating on? I was planning on drawing it up in 3d in autocad to be made by a fabricator so can get the numbers pretty spot on and will draw in anything it could hit.
Unread 10-29-2012, 05:25 PM   #83
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
So what should I be concentrating on?
Build your rear suspension.
Unread 10-29-2012, 05:26 PM   #84
yellow_snocone
Web Wheeler
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Imped

I know you used Poly brackets for the frame and I was wondering if what artec makes would work as well as those brackets have.

Only difference I see is having the weld the artec bracket together

Chester TJ build

2014 JF RUBICON TRIP
yellow_snocone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2012, 05:48 PM   #85
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Yep, I've dealt with those on another rig. Geometrically, they are very close to the Poly brackets. Very nice pieces that give you plenty of weld surface.
Unread 10-29-2012, 06:21 PM   #86
Bama_WJ
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Those are some nice pieces of hardware. Wish they had another setup like that for non-framed vehicles...

The Daily: 2011 Chevy Cruze Eco - Trifecta tuned and 37+ MPG

Wife's Jeep: 2006 WK Overland - OME HD Lift, 265/70/17 BFG AT's, 1.25" SpiderTrax wheel spacers, 3" Gibson Cat-Back

North Alabama Jeep
42RE Vent Mod - Seal your transmission!
YouTube. - My Video Channel
Facebook - Wheeling Pictures/Videos
The Jeep Wave. Bringing it back.
Bama_WJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2012, 06:58 AM   #87
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Here's an old thread that just popped up in TJ Tech. It could be of some help.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/wh...nking-1290791/
Unread 10-30-2012, 05:57 PM   #88
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treton View Post
Ive been searching to no avail, so could someone one send me a link to the calc? I found one but it was in millimeters and I see Imped's is in inches.
First post on this thread.

Quote:
I was planning on drawing it up in 3d in autocad to be made by a fabricator so can get the numbers pretty spot on and will draw in anything it could hit.
Been there, done that. End result: try rough fabrication, tacked-in-place mounts, and lots of cycling. That will take you much less time than a full CAD drawing and will eliminate any possible errors ahead of time.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2012, 06:42 PM   #89
Treton
2005 LJ Wrangler 

*southern belle accent* "Sundownah your mah hero"
Treton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2012, 07:49 PM   #90
cycleguy04

Is there something we should know about, Treton?

Still have'nt got under my rig to get some measurements. Life has a way of slowing down Jeep progression.

[COLOR="White"]'91 Ranger XLT 2WD - 4.0 V6, A4"hell"D, contemplating twin turbo 5.3[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Red"]'79 C10 Big Ten 2WD - 350, TH350, contemplating rebuilding to 355ci with supercharger and programmable EFI[/COLOR]

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"]'12 Subaru Forester (AKA: Arctic Cat) - 2.5, non-CVT, wife's, still begging her to let me get an exhaust system[/FONT][/COLOR]

[FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Blue"]'01 SV650 - snorkelectomy, ebay slip-on, cam swap and re-jet in the near future [/COLOR][/FONT]
cycleguy04 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.