Suspension Geometry - Page 23 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Advanced Jeep Tech > Suspension Geometry

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 06-22-2013, 05:46 PM   #331
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

You can do whatever you want....there's no reason you can't use them together. But is that truss going to sit too high? That's a better question.

Imped is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2013, 05:50 PM   #332
brplatz
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped
You can do whatever you want....there's no reason you can't use them together. But is that truss going to sit too high? That's a better question.
I had a feeling you might say that, but I was going to trim the ends, so that the upper part would sit flush with the top of the housing.

I would ten need to think about verticle separation. What did you say was a rule of thumb? 80% of the axle side at the frame?

[QUOTE=mrblaine;14089403]That's like saying you wish your boyfriend was a bit less gay.[/QUOTE]

[COLOR="Blue"]MOΛΩN ΛΑΒΕ[/COLOR]
[URL="http://www.nmoffroad.com"][COLOR="DarkRed"]NMOffroad[/COLOR][/URL]
[URL="http://www.overland-motorsports.com/"][COLOR="Gray"]Overland Motorsports[/COLOR][/URL]
[COLOR="DarkSlateBlue"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/brplatzs-tj-opv-1240947/#post13888971"]My Build[/URL][/COLOR]
brplatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2013, 08:56 AM   #333
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

The general 'rule of thumb' is 75% but desired results trump rules of thumb.
Unread 07-13-2013, 05:36 PM   #334
OmniscientHiers
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Question, on a balanced dual-capable rig for desert crawling and speed, how should the roll center be set up? On a high roll center there's greater stability (common sense veers me to this option), and on a low roll center there's a better performance of climbing and bump absorption during high speeds. Also, is there truly an exceptional difference? Am I looking too much into a single component?
OmniscientHiers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2013, 01:41 PM   #335
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

That's a tough one.....for a dual purpose rig that isn't specializing in high speed, I wouldn't worry too much about lowering the RC. I run a fairly high roll center and it handles great on the road, feels great in off-camber situations and glides over the rough stuff when going as fast as I feel comfortable going.

So yeah, don't focus too much on it.
Unread 07-16-2013, 03:10 PM   #336
OmniscientHiers
2001 TJ Wrangler 

All right, thanks for the advice!
OmniscientHiers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2014, 01:08 PM   #337
LA-Sahara
1998 TJ Wrangler 

So bumping this for a couple of questions.

In the beginning, they had a little bit of discussion on trusses. What's your take on the Barnes 4x4 truss? http://www.barnes4wd.com/Dana-44-Hea...russ_p_55.html
The BTF truss looks beefy, but as stated earlier in the thread it may interfere with the gas tank.

For the 4-link, I'm undecided on whether to go with Johnny Joints or the Duroflex joints. I'm leaning towards the Duroflex because this will be on a DD and I am really impressed by their joints (Currently have JJs on savvy arms) But the problem is metalcloak doesn't offer the right size end for what I've seen most people recommend. It seems the standard configuration is 1.25" shank 2.5" joints for the lowers with 2"OD 1.5"ID tube, and 1" shank 2.5" diameter joints with 1.5" OD 1.25"ID tube for the uppers. But metalcloak doesn't offer the 1" shank joints (they have one, but it has a wierd mounting width). And the duroflex joints are a little more expensive. Thoughts?

Last question. I guess it would probably be more of preference type thing, but double adjustable for everything? Or weld a solid barrel on one end and make a single adjustable lower? I'm thinking definitely double for the uppers for ease of adjustment, but not sure for the lowers. Cost are a little lower with single adj. and easier to tighten jamb nuts?

Thanks for any input. Hoping I can get this knocked out this summer.
LA-Sahara is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2014, 01:37 PM   #338
MisfitSeven
MAIL Crawler.

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA-Sahara
So bumping this for a couple of questions. In the beginning, they had a little bit of discussion on trusses. What's your take on the Barnes 4x4 truss? http://www.barnes4wd.com/Dana-44-Hea...russ_p_55.html
I run their truss on my 8.8. I cut three inches from each side and rotated it for a tight fit against the pumpkin. It was way too tall to begin with, unless you want to mount your links between the truss and pumpkin.
image-3827006172.jpg

Unread 05-19-2014, 01:39 PM   #339
LA-Sahara
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisfitSeven View Post
I run their truss on my 8.8. I cut three inches from each side and rotated it for a tight fit against the pumpkin. It was way too tall to begin with, unless you want to mount your links between the truss and pumpkin.
Thanks, I thought it looked a little tall also and figured there'd be some cutting it down. Although the links inbetween sounds interesting.
Unread 05-22-2014, 08:55 AM   #340
Pine_Cat
2006 TJ Wrangler 

sub'd
Pine_Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2014, 12:20 PM   #341
JayTx
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Looks like this thread isn't real active but it may be better to add what I have here instead of starting a new thread. I have a 04 lj with a Zone 4" suspension lift at the moment. My plan is to build a 4 link rear very similar to what has been talked about in this thread along with doing a 4" stretch at the same time. One problem I have right now is on climbs the front end has very little traction basically the front end unloading. Finding a definitive answer on what causes this seems to get lost in all the discussion I've seen so far and I've read a lot. I might have missed it somewhere to be honest. Could someone chime in on their experience with what they have seen causes this and how to fix it? I'm thinking it's caused from multiple problems, to soft a spring and high anti-squat?
JayTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2014, 04:24 PM   #342
LA-Sahara
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Just ordered all my 4-link stuff with Memorial Day sales. Time to re-read this thread again a few more times.
Unread 05-29-2014, 04:38 PM   #343
LA-Sahara
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Finally downloaded the 4-link calculator to mess around with today. Gonna wait for my brackets to get in to see how everything will fit so I can use the calculator as an estimate like everyone says, but while I was learning to use it I decided to see where I am starting from. Imped did some rough calculations earlier in the thread, but I tried to make mine pretty accurate and using my current tires. Here's what I got:
No wonder the jeep rolls so much in the turns. Pretty sure I can get my Roll Axis Angle down to even 1 degree and it be much better than what I have now. Hope the UPS man hurries up!
stock-4-link.jpg  
Unread 05-29-2014, 04:47 PM   #344
LA-Sahara
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I also played around with how my setup might be.
custom-4-link.jpg  
Unread 07-18-2014, 03:40 PM   #345
Mr-Rock
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Lots of great info!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.