Suspension Geometry - Page 12 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Advanced Jeep Tech > Suspension Geometry

Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 11-24-2012, 03:39 PM   #166
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Keep playing with the horizontal separation and you should be able to improve on that even more. Personally, I wouldn't be happy until it's within 1 deg.

Imped is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2012, 10:12 PM   #167
Bama_WJ
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
Keep playing with the horizontal separation and you should be able to improve on that even more. Personally, I wouldn't be happy until it's within 1 deg.
I'm the same way. I'll keep messing the numbers until I can hopefully get 0 deg.

The Daily: 2011 Chevy Cruze Eco - Trifecta tuned and 37+ MPG

Wife's Jeep: 2006 WK Overland - OME HD Lift, 265/70/17 BFG AT's, 1.25" SpiderTrax wheel spacers, 3" Gibson Cat-Back

North Alabama Jeep
42RE Vent Mod - Seal your transmission!
YouTube. - My Video Channel
Facebook - Wheeling Pictures/Videos
The Jeep Wave. Bringing it back.
Bama_WJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2012, 06:46 AM   #168
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Bama, I entered the numbers you had then fixed some stuff. You had the wrong rolling tire radius for the diameter and I'm betting the COG height and unsprung masses were a little off, but those don't effect the final outputs much. But the rolling tire radius does and you'll see I adjusted the vertical distance numbers to account for the difference. The key to getting the roll axis down was flattening out the links. The rig was sitting too high so I brought it down until things started working. If you can duplicate those numbers or get really close where it matters, that'll perform awesome.

Unread 11-26-2012, 09:24 AM   #169
Bama_WJ
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Appreciate it. Hoping we can get the 35 pulled out soon and set the 44 back there to mock some stuff up with the parts coming in. Some of the horizontal seperation is going to be pretty fixed, like at the upper frame and axle end. I can really only play with the lowers at the axle end.

Wife's Jeep: 2006 WK Overland - OME HD Lift, 265/70/17 BFG AT's, 1.25" SpiderTrax wheel spacers, 3" Gibson Cat-Back

North Alabama Jeep
Unread 11-26-2012, 12:01 PM   #170
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Right, and that's a big part of this stuff....recognizing where you're constrained vs. where you can make adjustments. Again, the biggest thing is getting those links close to flat. You want those lowers to have a shallow slope back to the axle and for the uppers to be flat or slightly sloping back to the axle. Generally, having a frame:axle vertical separation ratio of 75-80% produces nice results.
Unread 11-26-2012, 04:03 PM   #171
hulud44
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Just read this entire thread. Lots of good info. Finally pulled the trigger yesterday on the first bunch of parts for my 4 link. Artec truss and mounts. Ordering the JJs and sourcing the tube locally at the end of this week. Numbers are crunched and ready to go but im sure it will be tweaked a few times once its tested. Just trying to figure out why I waited till winter to do this... ahaha

http://www.outlawedoffroad.com/showthread.php?t=635"]http://www.outlawedoffroad.com/showthread.php?t=635
hulud44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2012, 04:41 PM   #172
cycleguy04

Pulled apart the 8.8 over the weekend. I'm working with LSD and 3.73 which will have to do until I save up for a locker and gears.

[COLOR="White"]'91 Ranger XLT 2WD - 4.0 V6, A4"hell"D, contemplating twin turbo 5.3[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Red"]'79 C10 Big Ten 2WD - 350, TH350, contemplating rebuilding to 355ci with supercharger and programmable EFI[/COLOR]

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"]'12 Subaru Forester (AKA: Arctic Cat) - 2.5, non-CVT, wife's, still begging her to let me get an exhaust system[/FONT][/COLOR]

[FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Blue"]'01 SV650 - snorkelectomy, ebay slip-on, cam swap and re-jet in the near future [/COLOR][/FONT]
cycleguy04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2012, 06:02 PM   #173
Bama_WJ
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped
Right, and that's a big part of this stuff....recognizing where you're constrained vs. where you can make adjustments. Again, the biggest thing is getting those links close to flat. You want those lowers to have a shallow slope back to the axle and for the uppers to be flat or slightly sloping back to the axle. Generally, having a frame:axle vertical separation ratio of 75-80% produces nice results.
75-80% of what? I've always seen you want at least like 7".

North Alabama Jeep
Unread 11-27-2012, 05:55 AM   #174
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulud44 View Post
Just read this entire thread. Lots of good info. Finally pulled the trigger yesterday on the first bunch of parts for my 4 link. Artec truss and mounts. Ordering the JJs and sourcing the tube locally at the end of this week. Numbers are crunched and ready to go but im sure it will be tweaked a few times once its tested. Just trying to figure out why I waited till winter to do this... ahaha
Post up once you start so we can verify your numbers before you burn stuff in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama_WJ View Post
75-80% of what? I've always seen you want at least like 7".
The frame-to-axle separation ratio. 6" at the frame, 8" at the axle = 75%. At least 7" where? The ratio matters more than the absolute value. I think I'm running 5.5" at the frame and about 6.5" at the axle so my recommendation is just a general suggestion and obviously also relies on your specific setup. And if you want to toss all numbers aside, tuck the lowers at the axle up as high as you can and keep the uppers low to the diff. The taller you are, the more important this is. The rest will take care of itself as long as you leave some adjustment at the frame.
Unread 11-27-2012, 08:13 AM   #175
Bama_WJ
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

I see now. Haven't seen the ratio before, just the seperation at the axle end for the most part. To be honest, I probably just skimmed right over it when reading some of the bigger threads about link design.

And yes, the uppers have 3 positions of adjustment at the frame end.

North Alabama Jeep
Unread 12-02-2012, 06:18 PM   #176
jwaller89

2004 TJ Wrangler 

http://www.4wheelunderground.com/Suspension-411.html

I found this doing some searching. Looks like it has some good details. I'm still trying to learn all this myself.
Originally Posted by 5-90
This is an online forum, and the written word is the primary method of communication. If you make an effort to communicate clearly, people will be willing to communicate in return. If you don't make an effort, I don't see why I should - write like an idiot, and I'm going to think you're an idiot, that's just how things work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piet
FYI: For concerned parents out there. The wrangler has fairly good frontal, offset, and rollover crashworthiness ratings. IE: You walk away from a crash, and write posts on how you plan to re-build your rig.

just4effect.com sub box review
jwaller89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2012, 11:02 PM   #177
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

That's a GREAT link. I'm surprised I've never come across it before. That might be the best single article I've seen when it comes to explaining this stuff in plain terms and having it all on the same page.
Unread 12-03-2012, 01:37 AM   #178
Motas
1983 CJ10 

So by looking at off the shelf suspension systems with this knowledge. Are any of them good? Obviously this will change for each rig but have any companies actually made theres as good as possible for the average rig or are the just whatever's cheapest/easiest for them while remaining acceptable. Just interested to know whether they are worth the money or just sound good.
Unread 12-03-2012, 06:50 AM   #179
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motas View Post
So by looking at off the shelf suspension systems with this knowledge. Are any of them good? Obviously this will change for each rig but have any companies actually made theres as good as possible for the average rig or are the just whatever's cheapest/easiest for them while remaining acceptable. Just interested to know whether they are worth the money or just sound good.
In short, no. Can you change that fairly easily? Yes. The real problem is the axle side lower brackets. They are too low, which creates an excessively steep lower link. Clayton makes a solid setup and if you move the lower brackets up and get their arms with JJ's on both sides, that's about as good of an "off the shelf" kit as you can get. But at that point, you're not far from just doing a 'fully custom' setup as well--choose the brackets, build the arms, and burn it all up.

Arm length isn't as important as mount positioning.

My reasoning--similar results, different arm lengths. The constant? Nice mount positions.

Old

New

Compare that to a Rough Country/BDS-type long arm kit. What are those longer arms doing for you when your geometry is neglecting all of the basic rules?

Here's a much-improved Clayton-type setup on 4" springs. Decent frame positioning but the lower mounts still leave a lot to be desired in terms of clearance and their effect on the squat. Notice the high roll oversteer amount and borderline anti-squat amount. Flatter, slight-more triangulated lowers would fix both.
Unread 12-03-2012, 02:46 PM   #180
cycleguy04

jwaller89, I've added that link to the first post of this thread. Thanks.

Imped, those examples really help visualize a comparison. Props, brotha.

[COLOR="White"]'91 Ranger XLT 2WD - 4.0 V6, A4"hell"D, contemplating twin turbo 5.3[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Red"]'79 C10 Big Ten 2WD - 350, TH350, contemplating rebuilding to 355ci with supercharger and programmable EFI[/COLOR]

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"]'12 Subaru Forester (AKA: Arctic Cat) - 2.5, non-CVT, wife's, still begging her to let me get an exhaust system[/FONT][/COLOR]

[FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Blue"]'01 SV650 - snorkelectomy, ebay slip-on, cam swap and re-jet in the near future [/COLOR][/FONT]
cycleguy04 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.