Suspension Geometry - Page 10 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Advanced Jeep Tech > Suspension Geometry

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Ruffstuff 3 Link Kit!The Ruffstuff Optima Battery Box!

Unread 11-09-2012, 07:48 AM   #136
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder6 View Post
They have a live rear axle generally, kind of negates it. It's pushing the front end around
I wondered about that...and I'm thinking aloud here, so bear with me. If there's a solid rear involved - especially one with a locker, going by my comprehension of the situation - the geometry would allow it to overpower the loading in the front and negate most of the potential heat issue. Okay...that can make sense. However, if the rear is independent as well things can get really bad really quickly because the resistance can pile up and there's nothing in the geometry that helps the transmission. You're essentially relying upon the torque converter's force multiplication to overcome the loading at all four wheels.

The Republic of Dave: Bringing you the finest in simian testing supplies.

The build, the gear, and the mileage: The Wasteland Survival Guide
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2012, 08:15 AM   #137
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

Yes.

Swaybars help too

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

My builds: Bruiser and The Grey

|Forge Overland| or follow us on Facebook
spyder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2012, 01:14 PM   #138
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder6 View Post
Swaybars help too
I never seem to think about sway bars...

Unread 11-09-2012, 01:26 PM   #139
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
I never seem to think about sway bars...
They're awesome.
Imped is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2012, 01:29 PM   #140
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped

They're awesome.
Yep

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

My builds: Bruiser and The Grey

|Forge Overland| or follow us on Facebook
spyder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2012, 01:51 PM   #141
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
They're awesome.
No doubt...I just never really consider them not being there or being something that I'd do much tinkering with, aside from running an Antirock and forgetting about it.

Unread 11-09-2012, 02:01 PM   #142
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
No doubt...I just never really consider them not being there or being something that I'd do much tinkering with, aside from running an Antirock and forgetting about it.
Well, there are finer points that most don't think about or realize. For example, stock rear sway bar vs. stock torsion bar like an AR. The stock sway bar is held in place by rubber bushings and the links have rubber bushings at both ends. Those bushings deflect and combine that with the non-linear shape of the sway bar and you've got some delay in its effectiveness. The AR bar is hard mounted, straight, is of a heavier rate than stock, and the links are hard-mounted with rod ends. No delay in windup of the sway bar at all. Having them at both ends feels very crisp and really makes for a precise, planted rig on the road.
Imped is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2012, 02:04 PM   #143
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
Well, there are finer points that most don't think about or realize. For example, stock rear sway bar vs. stock torsion bar like an AR. The stock sway bar is held in place by rubber bushings and the links have rubber bushings at both ends. Those bushings deflect and combine that with the non-linear shape of the sway bar and you've got some delay in its effectiveness. The AR bar is hard mounted, straight, is of a heavier rate than stock, and the links are hard-mounted with rod ends. No delay in windup of the sway bar at all. Having them at both ends feels very crisp and really makes for a precise, planted rig on the road.
I'd wondered about that very thing the last time I was under my rig; there just seemed to be a LOT of rubber in the assembly.

Unread 11-09-2012, 02:06 PM   #144
55willystruck

X2 ^ (edit, you beat me!) and with the pair, you'll likely never run without again. What's really cool is getting to a point of near-rolling and feeling them do their job. That is if you have a spot where you've gone over before without them and have something to compare to I suppose... That feeling of being caught right on the edge, with the gentle nudge back in the right direction is priceless. I did that with a buddy on this last trip-watched him nearly crap all over my seat, hanging on for dear life, then feel what I meant. Should have seen the look on his face! Course, then the "wow that was cool" with the poo-eating grin after...

I'll never run without them, ever, period.

Best of Luck,

Mike
55willystruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2012, 02:53 PM   #145
cycleguy04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner

I'd wondered about that very thing the last time I was under my rig; there just seemed to be a LOT of rubber in the assembly.
I'm going to guess you spend a lot of your free time under there...

Thanks for the explanation guys. I can see why the Anti rock is so highly revered. Now to feel it in action... It'll be a while before that happens. Unless 55willys and I ever actually go on wheeling excursion. Then I can test his out. Hint, hint...

[COLOR="White"]'91 Ranger XLT 2WD - 4.0 V6, A4"hell"D, contemplating twin turbo 5.3[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Red"]'79 C10 Big Ten 2WD - 350, TH350, contemplating rebuilding to 355ci with supercharger and programmable EFI[/COLOR]

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"]'12 Subaru Forester (AKA: Arctic Cat) - 2.5, non-CVT, wife's, still begging her to let me get an exhaust system[/FONT][/COLOR]

[FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Blue"]'01 SV650 - snorkelectomy, ebay slip-on, cam swap and re-jet in the near future [/COLOR][/FONT]
cycleguy04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2012, 03:00 PM   #146
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleguy04 View Post
I'm going to guess you spend a lot of your free time under there...
Not as much as I'd like. Despite the inherent simplicity of the systems involved, my understanding of suspension geometry is tenuous. The devil lies in the details, especially when uptravel is concerned.

Unread 11-09-2012, 03:11 PM   #147
55willystruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleguy04 View Post
It'll be a while before that happens. Unless 55willys and I ever go actually go on wheeling excursion. Then I can test his out. Hint, hint...
I had a run-in with the same cat as last year up elk hunting and he really irritated me this year with his actions. I'm waiting for a bit of snow, then will head back up and see if I can get a little closer. I'll try and let you know when I do-with snow it will be very tough wheeling, impassible in many areas, but I'll certainly let you know. Can get a feel for things elsewhere easy enough on less dangerous terrain. I need to work out this fuel cut out issue before I can head back though-it keeps blowing fuses on nasty steep inclines heading up. Down doesn't seem to do it, but up it pops the little 20 amp every time. Wondering if I don't have a bad wire inside the main harness somewhere-I can't seem to find anything else pinched or rubbing just yet. A buddy just reminded me I have a bear tag still so I'll be hurrying to try and resolve this issue as quickly as possible. Need the Jeep running without fuel problems if I head back out after either of them.

Will keep you posted if I can resolve this issue in time. If not, there's always next spring...

Best of Luck,

Mike
55willystruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2012, 09:04 PM   #148
cycleguy04

I am awe struck...

Almost no bounce on the landing! I'm sure his trajectory helped.

A good example of how well planted a rig can if the builders pockets are deep enough.

[COLOR="White"]'91 Ranger XLT 2WD - 4.0 V6, A4"hell"D, contemplating twin turbo 5.3[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Red"]'79 C10 Big Ten 2WD - 350, TH350, contemplating rebuilding to 355ci with supercharger and programmable EFI[/COLOR]

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"]'12 Subaru Forester (AKA: Arctic Cat) - 2.5, non-CVT, wife's, still begging her to let me get an exhaust system[/FONT][/COLOR]

[FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Blue"]'01 SV650 - snorkelectomy, ebay slip-on, cam swap and re-jet in the near future [/COLOR][/FONT]
cycleguy04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2012, 10:37 PM   #149
9703tj
1997 TJ Wrangler 

That hotwheels jump was pretty cool! I like how he came to a stop in such a short space too.
9703tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2012, 09:25 AM   #150
Sundowner
Part-Time Swami

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Here's something for you guys to consider: I'd like to see some solid information on the problems with getting lots of up-travel. The more I look at my rig the more I want to bias the travel in the upward direction, and the more I poke around the more difficult it seems...especially when compared to down-travel. In fact, a few words on people's preferences for their up/down split would be welcome here as well.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.