Super D44 Difficulties - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Advanced Jeep Tech > Super D44 Difficulties

Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!ARTEC JK UNDER ARMOR - 4 door Bellypan KitsSmittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!

Unread 11-20-2013, 01:53 AM   #1
Tradesman300
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Super D44 Difficulties

First the background: This Spring I installed new outer (shaft) bearings and seals, as well as inspected the limited slip carrier for excessive signs of wear, excessive backlash etc. Everything checked out. I reassembled everything and filled 'er up with fresh fluids.

Fast forward to July, add 500 miles and we arrive on the trail.

Boom.

Spider Gear Grenade Goes Off.

The Spider gears both blew to pieces while on a hill climb. One of the pieces cracked open the stock diff cover like a can opener as the ring gear finished off the pieces and ground them down to fragments.

Trail run over.

That brings me to today. After much research, discussion and agonizing I decided on the following direction for my d44 rear:

Replace Stock 3.72 gears with G2 4.89 gears
Replace Stock carrier with Eaton's Detroit 33 Spline 'Super 44" locker
Replace Stock Shafts with G2 Alloy 33 Spline Shafts
Replace all bearings etc. (obviously)
Move carrier shims outboard of the carrier races instead of on the bearing journals (Eaton, Randy's, watercooler all agree)

Now as I am attempting to do the setup I come across the following problem - I cannot get enough side-to-side adjustment to correctly set the backlash.

Eaton says the carrier is 1/4" narrower because they make only one variant instead of a 3.92 up and a 3.92 down. This way they can accommodate all gear sets. MY issue with this statement is that I only have .136 of shims in place and that is WITH the recommended case spread of .015 applied via Case Spreader Tool.

When I install all .136 of these shims on the left side of the carrier and .000 (none) to the left side I still have .028 of backlash. The recommended range is .006 - .0012.

It would take .030 of adjustment further into the pinion to achieve a .007 setting ( Yukon estimates .010 of shims shifted from right to left moves the backlash .007 downward).

So I am stuck with a dilemma here. What to do?

The option that seems both the most logical and the most crazy at the same time is to machine down the inner surface of the housing where the bearing cup/shim makes contact. This would be a tricky business as I am not a machinist nor do I have a professional machinists tools. What I do have is a very good air sander and a lot of 400, 1000, and 1500 grit discs for said sander. I think I can be very very patient while carefully removing .035 or so of the surface to give me my theoretical additional adjustment that is needed.

Thoughts?

Tradesman300 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2013, 08:23 PM   #2
Tradesman300
2002 TJ Wrangler 

bump. Needing help still.
Unread 11-20-2013, 08:45 PM   #3
lar308

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Hey, I'm a ASE master tech. I believe I understand what you're trying to do. What series carrier do they sell? Was the ring gear a thick gear or a normal gear? Does the ring gear thickness match the carrier you have? If the carrier is a 3.73 and down design, you will need a thick ring gear. I also believe you would reach the tollerences needed by trying to machine the case by hand, you'd also weaken the case. Let me know if I can help. Ron
"Snowball" 1990 YJ, 4.2, Weber, HEI, 1"bl, 3.5" superlift springs, .5" ground pounder fab boom shackles, dana 44 front, 4.10, powerlok, 4340 axles, 1 ton tierod ends, dana 44 rear, 4.10, grizzly locker, 4340 axle shafts, Tom Woods SYE & rear shaft, 35" MTR's on V5 cragars, home fabed front bumper, M8000 warn (for now, 8274 soon)
lar308 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2013, 07:59 AM   #4
jason m
your ad here...

If I am reading your post right ( and that's a big if ) can you machine down your carrier to make room for the oversize in your set up.
Two spot that can be machined down and should not have any affect on the overall strength is the bearing journals or the face where the ring sits.

Or try contacting http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/axles...l-housing.html

This guy knows his axles and will be happy to help.

Jason.

And on the 8th day, God created the 14 bolt....
jason m is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2013, 10:18 PM   #5
Tradesman300
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks Jason. I have a post out on pirate too. I'll give him a holler.
Unread 11-25-2013, 11:30 PM   #6
XJ Jay
1999 XJ Cherokee 

providing your pinion depth is close and not too shallow, it sounds like you need thick cut gears, what i find is odd is the fact only need .136 total shim stack for back lash, i just did a tj 44 with 33spline detroit locker and 4.10s and i recall needed .250 ish worth of shims for back lash. Also needed to use a thinner bearing with a larger ID for make room for those 3 extra splines. ill try to remember and look at my install kit where i write down pinion depth and back lash shims i used durring set up and see how much backlash shims i used. maybe post a pic of your dif with the carrier and gears installed
XJ Jay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-03-2013, 10:18 AM   #7
foggybottombob
1984 CJ7 

To use a 4.88 ring on a Dana 44 Series 3 carrier you have to use a thick ring. Note that Jeep TJ Rubicon Dana 44 rings are all thick. The TJ Rubicon D44 rings use 7/16" ring bolts as I recall. So you may have to drill out the ring bolt holes on the carrier but otherwise it will fit. Note that a JK Dana 44 gear set is a different animal and won't fit. You probably have a standard thickness gear set in 4.88 that won't work with a series 3 carrier.
foggybottombob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2013, 01:04 PM   #8
Tradesman300
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggybottombob View Post
To use a 4.88 ring on a Dana 44 Series 3 carrier you have to use a thick ring. Note that Jeep TJ Rubicon Dana 44 rings are all thick. The TJ Rubicon D44 rings use 7/16" ring bolts as I recall. So you may have to drill out the ring bolt holes on the carrier but otherwise it will fit. Note that a JK Dana 44 gear set is a different animal and won't fit. You probably have a standard thickness gear set in 4.88 that won't work with a series 3 carrier.
This is a Detroit D44 Universal Fit carrier. The Eaton notes I got said that specifically, you are NOT to use the thick ring gear set.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.