Sua leaf spring info for a tj - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Advanced Jeep Tech > Sua leaf spring info for a tj

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 01-13-2012, 12:28 PM   #16
mcannon111
2006 TJ Wrangler 

okay to all the people who say get an xj, or this thread is retarded just get out. there is no need to bash his topic to get your post count up. no one cares. with that said.

i've done tons of research on this topic. and is a part of my plan for my build. in order to do leafs, you must have a fuel cell, relocate your stock tank into the tub, or get genright tank. Because when you move the axle back that far, the stock tank is in the way of everything. Kyle has a genright stretch tank, which allows about 5 inches of stretch, and in that case you must attach the shackle hanger to the frame. alot of people use the btf cross member kit, and with that kit it adds up to be about a 7 inch stretch.

also another thing to consider is do not use waggy leafs, they really aren't worth it. all the people i've seen use xj leafs, minus the previous post above with chevy leafs, and all the people on xj leafs have had great success. with the xj leafs they generally add an extra main to help cut down on axle wrap too. you also really want to do spring under axle on a tj, because then you will not need a traction bar and it still nets to be about the same as a 3 ish inch lift which is as much as you need on a tj imho.

another thing that you have to take into factor on how well your leaf springs work is shackle angle. you want it to be between 30 and 45 degrees in order to maximize your articulation. if you have any more questions about this you can shoot me a pm

live in sc? join [COLOR="Blue"]OffroadSC.com[/COLOR]

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/silver-bullet-1249782/"][COLOR="Silver"]The Silver Bullet[/COLOR][/URL]
mcannon111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2012, 02:14 PM   #17
kyle_craig
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcannon111 View Post
Kyle has a genright stretch tank, which allows about 5 inches of stretch, and in that case you must attach the shackle hanger to the frame. alot of people use the btf cross member kit, and with that kit it adds up to be about a 7 inch stretch.
Do keep in mind...Genright also makes a tank for a 7" stretch...and even a "alien tank for up to a 9" stretch. I did see a genright stretch tank on Pirate classifieds yesterday priced at 600.

Speaking from experience, XJ leafs are a decent way to go. Here are the positive and negative aspects when setup SUA as I see them:
Positives:
+ Easy way to get 4-8" of stretch
+ Decent amount of flex (12-13")
+ Relatively affordable in comparison to a linked setup
+ Simplicity (If you own a welder or have a friend with one and have a brain, you can do the swap)
+ Easy way to do an axle swap in combination with a stretch
+ Stability
+ Ride quality

Negatives:
-Decrease in ground clearance
-Possibility of axle wrap
-Still a fair amount of $ when you add it all up

On the issue of axle wrap, with my stock XJ leafs (+ extra main leaf) I do get a very small amount of it. If I dump the clutch from a dead stop, or put the pedal to the floor from a dead stop, there is a noticeable amount of vibration. It isn't harsh but is enough to be noticeable. I can't speak for the durability of the factory leafs because I've only been running them for a few months. With that said, I have heard horror stories of people bending factory XJ leafs and even breaking them. According to Redsmoke, the OME XJ leafs that he runs seem to be much more durable than factory leafs. Looking back, if I could have done anything different when I did my swap, I would have skipped the trips to the junk yard and would've invested in a set of OME XJ leafs from the get go. Once you buy two sets of junkyard leafs, you could almost have bought one set of aftermarket ones. Most junk yards want far too much for rusty old leaf springs with junk bushings. So, that's what I have to say about XJ leafs.
kyle_craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2012, 05:31 PM   #18
SLADE
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
in order to do leafs, you must have a fuel cell, relocate your stock tank into the tub, or get genright tank. Because when you move the axle back that far, the stock tank is in the way of everything. Kyle has a genright stretch tank, which allows about 5 inches of stretch, and in that case you must attach the shackle hanger to the frame. alot of people use the btf cross member kit, and with that kit it adds up to be about a 7 inch stretch.

You can swap to leafs and still use your stock gas tank. The only thing that requires a modified gas tank or fuel cell is stretching the wheel base. It is not a requirement to stretch the wheelbase when you swap to leafs. You have a variety of leaf springs to choose from and you can mount the spring and shackle hangers at whatever point you need to position the axle where you want it.

It's not a requirment for leaf springs though.

Quote:
also another thing to consider is do not use waggy leafs, they really aren't worth it. all the people i've seen use xj leafs, minus the previous post above with chevy leafs, and all the people on xj leafs have had great success. with the xj leafs they generally add an extra main to help cut down on axle wrap too. you also really want to do spring under axle on a tj, because then you will not need a traction bar and it still nets to be about the same as a 3 ish inch lift which is as much as you need on a tj imho.
There are as many benifits to a Waggy pack as there is to an XJ pack. There are things you can get from a Waggy leaf that you cant get from an XJ pack and the same can be said for the XJ pack. There are two many leafs to choose from to limmit yourself to only choosing between 2 leaf packs. .The rig itself and personal preferance play a role in what works best.

Even with an extra leaf added, XJ leafs are still very soft and flexy. The added leaf does not take out enough wrap to avoid using a traction bar. XJ leafs are soft enough that I dont think you can get by even SUA without a traction bar. That is where one of the benefits to the XJ leafs is also a downfall.

Waggy leafs DO work. Just like XJ leafs, they are not perfect for everyone.

Quote:
another thing that you have to take into factor on how well your leaf springs work is shackle angle. you want it to be between 30 and 45 degrees in order to maximize your articulation. if you have any more questions about this you can shoot me a pm
The arch of the leaf needs taken into consideration also. A flat leaf can use a shackle at more of an angle than an arched leaf.
SLADE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2012, 07:04 PM   #19
Nates93yj

2004 TJ Wrangler 

This thread has awesome information

Thanks a lot guys

Kinda wrecked my jeep so it's on hold
1993 Jeep Wrangler Nates93yj BuildSOLD
Nates93yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2012, 09:43 PM   #20
EZAces
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I run axle unders. They hang up way less than my friends with the springs on top

[b][u][url=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/np-231-j-rebuild-sye-install-748821/]NP231 rebuild and SYE install[/url][/u][/b]

[b][u][color=blue][url=http://www.4x4country.net/register.php?REF=73]Fun online game I play while reading the boards[/url][/color][/u][/b]
EZAces is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2012, 12:00 PM   #21
SLADE
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Cut your U bolts off and smooth everything up as much as possible. There are some nice Spring plates for SUA setups. I wouldn't let the slight loss in ground clearance detour me from a SUA setup.
Unread 01-14-2012, 07:53 PM   #22
mcannon111
2006 TJ Wrangler 

sua axle is the way to go if you want to have less than a 37 inch tire.

live in sc? join [COLOR="Blue"]OffroadSC.com[/COLOR]

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/silver-bullet-1249782/"][COLOR="Silver"]The Silver Bullet[/COLOR][/URL]
mcannon111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2012, 01:26 AM   #23
DezertTJ
Lost

2006 LJ Wrangler 

What if I'd want to do this swap with maybe a 1-2" stretch? and keep the stock tank? Would XJ leafs still work, or would I need to find something else?
Unread 01-27-2012, 06:35 AM   #24
CoryA
1977 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DezertTJ
What if I'd want to do this swap with maybe a 1-2" stretch? and keep the stock tank? Would XJ leafs still work, or would I need to find something else?
Waggy leafs give right about 2.5" stretch

If your only wanting an inch or two I'd probably just relocate the hangers. Back a bit personally
CoryA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2012, 09:20 AM   #25
DezertTJ
Lost

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Would I be able to keep the tank in its location? I'd probably move the hangers right behind the tcase skid. I'm planning an 8.8 or d60 swap, but I want it simple
Unread 01-27-2012, 04:27 PM   #26
Nates93yj

2004 TJ Wrangler 

You'd have to heat the gas tank up and make a dent in it for the diff.

Doesn't really matter what springs you use it's the combination of where you put the spring hangers and what kind of leafs.
Unread 01-27-2012, 05:01 PM   #27
SLADE
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DezertTJ View Post
You should be able to get 1" maybe a little more. You have to take the flow of the leaf springs into consideration too. Look and see how much room you have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nates93yj View Post
Doesn't really matter what springs you use it's the combination of where you put the spring hangers and what kind of leafs.
It does matter. The spring length needs to match the available length to work with and axles location. The overall spring length along with the center pin location is VERY important. A Waggy leaf will fit better for a mild stretch than an XJ pack or a longer pack like a 64" chevy.
2001 Dodge Ram 2500
Unread 01-27-2012, 05:07 PM   #28
Nates93yj

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLADE View Post
It does matter. The spring length needs to match the available length to work with and axles location. The overall spring length along with the center pin location is VERY important. A Waggy leaf will fit better for a mild stretch than an XJ pack or a longer pack like a 64" chevy.
correct I should have rephrased that. My point being xj leafs would not be ideal for a small 1 invh strech. Waggy or even yj leafs. I've seen bds 2 inch yj ones used on a tj
Unread 01-27-2012, 05:12 PM   #29
kyle_craig
1998 TJ Wrangler 

This is pretty cool....just some food for thought...YJ leafs with approximately 4" of stretch, and a stock tank. Easily one of my favorite jeeps of all time. And clean as a whistle.

CHECK IT OUT!
kyle_craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2012, 05:15 PM   #30
Nates93yj

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I think that's the same one but it had different rims. Very clean jeep!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.