sterling 10.25 vs dana 60? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Advanced Jeep Tech > sterling 10.25 vs dana 60?

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 11-29-2012, 11:23 PM   #16
jason m
your ad here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO2500 View Post
I'd go D60. I've been looking into this myself and to run 37's you will likely have more into the D44 to make it live than you will the 60. Plus, if you ever decide to get a larger tire you will be setup already with axles that can handle them front and rear.
This, its easyer to upgrade tires than axle's.

Jason.

And on the 8th day, God created the 14 bolt....
jason m is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2012, 05:13 AM   #17
cherokeekid58
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks for the help guys. If i can get the sterling for free im gonn put that in. And now it looks like im on the hunt for a king pin D60
Thanks

Cheers
Jason

So far it seems correlated to OCD and the need to look at one's poop."
cherokeekid58 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2012, 11:59 AM   #18
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeekid58 View Post
Thanks for the help guys. If i can get the sterling for free im gonn put that in. And now it looks like im on the hunt for a king pin D60
Thanks

Cheers
Jason
Don't rule out the newer superduty ball joint D60s. Aftermarket is catching up and they are a seriously stout axle. Stock knuckles are massive and Reid even said they would be making them if they were breaking, but they are not. The unit bearings can be bored out or purchased to use 35 spline stubs (35 spline inners come stock) and re-drilled to 8x6.5 lug pattern. You could even grab a matching set from a superduty, hp60 front and sterling rear, and leave the stock bolt pattern which is 8x170.
What's a CV shaft and why do I need one?
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
MO2500 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2012, 12:04 PM   #19
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I'll take a ball joint SDHP60 over a kingpin 78-79 HP60.....but that's just me.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2012, 01:59 PM   #20
cherokeekid58
2000 XJ Cherokee 

The super duty axles got to be extremely expensive though. Probably way out of my budget.

Unread 11-30-2012, 03:03 PM   #21
connor0770
1997 TJ Wrangler 

why not make a 14b an option? Cheaper than a 60/10.25 to build. Although if you only want 37's id def. recomend a shave kit.. With the shave it hangs about the same as my 8.8 on 35's
97 TJ Dana 30 w/ARB Solid Cover, Currie 4" lift, Ford 8.8 w/ Riddler Cover, Currie Steering, Trail Gear Front Bumper, LOD Rear Tire Carrier, Smittybuilt XRC8, 35" KM2's, 5100 Bilsteins, Teraflex Oil Pan Skid, Poison Spider Sliders, Rock Lights etc.
connor0770 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2012, 03:23 PM   #22
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeekid58 View Post
The super duty axles got to be extremely expensive though. Probably way out of my budget.
You would be surprised. The price on king pin 60's is very inflated, at least in my area. You can pay less for a matched set of superduty axles if you search around, complete disc to disc.

Just an option to look into. Do a little research on the Superduty stuff and you may find it to be a better option. Like Imped, I'd take an SDHP60 over a KP now that aftermarket is supporting them a bit more. There are several variations of the SDHP60 based on years '99-04 and '05+. There is also a Super 60 that is serious beef! You want to avoid being fooled by a D50 as well if you decide to search for superduty axles which I believed they quit using in '02.
What's a CV shaft and why do I need one?
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
MO2500 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2012, 03:43 PM   #23
cherokeekid58
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks for the info guys, ill keep my search citeria very wide

Unread 11-30-2012, 03:46 PM   #24
Bama_WJ
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

I'd go with a 60 as well.

And I did a small tech post about the 50 and 60 axles under 99-04 Ford SD trucks.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/...l#post11800325

The Daily: 2011 Chevy Cruze Eco - Trifecta tuned and 37+ MPG

Wife's Jeep: 2006 WK Overland - OME HD Lift, 265/70/17 BFG AT's, 1.25" SpiderTrax wheel spacers, 3" Gibson Cat-Back

North Alabama Jeep
42RE Vent Mod - Seal your transmission!
YouTube. - My Video Channel
Facebook - Wheeling Pictures/Videos
The Jeep Wave. Bringing it back.
Bama_WJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2012, 04:23 PM   #25
jason m
your ad here...

My only beef with some of the super 60's is well the extra beef on the driver side. Theres alot of extra chunk cast to be removed

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=super...80&tx=95&ty=72

But once you get that figured out there very good axle's to build off. I would still put the late 80's KP Ford axle probally the best to build off as the pinion is very far over and well its a king pin cant beat that.

Jason.

And on the 8th day, God created the 14 bolt....
jason m is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.