Steering Upgrades (hydro assist?) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Advanced Jeep Tech > Steering Upgrades (hydro assist?)

USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 12-11-2013, 12:00 AM   #1
94chb
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Steering Upgrades (hydro assist?)

hey guys, i recently swapped waggy d44's under my yj. im running 36's and when im in the woods its not so easy to turn the wheel. im looking for options to get easier steering. my yj is stretched 12inches, im running a astro box with waggy arm and waggy steering. 4.0 motor .

94chb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2013, 06:18 AM   #2
jason m

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f369/...ssist-1568395/

A lot of good info talked about in that thread including do it your self info.

Jason.

And on the 8th day, God created the 14 bolt....
jason m is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2013, 03:38 PM   #3
94chb
1989 YJ Wrangler 

ive already read that thread. i used the search feature before posting. it dont explain how to drill gear box and tap it. also how to drill pump to make it pump better.

im running waggy d44s and atsro steering box.
Unread 12-11-2013, 03:58 PM   #4
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

It`s on PBB.
jsawduste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2013, 04:17 PM   #5
94chb
1989 YJ Wrangler 

yea im doing some searching right now.

found info on pirate and ifsja. not sure if i can tap the box myself, may have to find someone to tap it for me.
Unread 12-12-2013, 06:40 AM   #6
jason m

To drill the pump, you remove the steel line going to pump, then you remove the threaded collar that the steel line went into. This is the part you need to drill over sized.
Now how many steps really just depends on you and your system you built, like what size ID ram VS what size chrome rod used in ram, how big of line's and how well you struck the pump veins when you drilled them.

I went two steps over with my Jeep when I did it, I used a 2x8 ram, with a 1 1/8" chrome rod, -6 lines and hit the centers of my ports on my box.
When I upgraded to full hydro I couldn't really tell the difference between the two once I was done.

The box, well without Pics ( which I have none taken when I did mine ) its hard to pin point the veins that need to be drilled but they are there on the bottom of the box.
I left mine in the Jeep with the Res. full of fluid, after punching threw the fluid was draining out, not fast but enough to wash any metal shavings away.
Then onto to tapping it, yes you needed two taps, they are 3/8" pipe taps. One will need to be cut in half so the thread will bottom inside the box. start tapping the holes with the uncut tap, finish or bottom them out with the other tap, the cut in half one.

The last thing I did was clean the hole, even with fluid draining at a good rate out both hole some shaving stayed in the thread section and got into the ports.
I took a strong magnet, stuck it to a small screw driver and used that to fish out any metal. That worked very well and after about 20 min or so I was satisfied that I got it all, which I did.

Jason.

And on the 8th day, God created the 14 bolt....
jason m is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.