Started the "Transmission Job", well OK, a complete Stroked Overhaul - Page 9 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Advanced Jeep Tech > Started the "Transmission Job", well OK, a complete Stroked Overhaul

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOld Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 02-09-2013, 06:42 PM   #121
W_A_Watson_II
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I've not yet hooked up the vacuum gauge, was going to do that this afternoon, but waiting on a fuel pump now. Yes, the computer controls the fuel through injectors pulse frequency and duration.

In going back over my notes and research, and I think the plug recommendation I got from the Strocker community is off. They recommended the NGK BKR6E-11, but it's tip did not protrude as much as the stock plugs. In doing some part number cross referencing and deciphering I thought I needed the NGK BPR6ES-11 as it's a Projected Insulator Type plug like the stock Champions. However it wasn't. So I went back with a set of stock Champion RC12LYC Plugs. The miss started again cold, but it cleared up. was it because of just being new plugs? Well no, the miss did eventually come back just as before. I tried the old coil and the miss was still there. I pulled the plugs, again with a hot engine and running 2,250 RPM. the looked OK to me, except for a small imperfection on plug #3's insulator, a defect/crack? It's getting replaced.

The fuel pressure gauge test kit was out on load at the Auto Parts store, so I decided to go ahead and install the fuel pump anyway. The pump looked to be the original 1993 Bosch pump, and I found some debris in side the strainer, so it might be having problems. Well, the new "I call generic" pumps the auto parts store had in stock fit like crap, the pump was loose and would surly rattle. So I'm waiting on a new Bosch which I should have tomorrow. I spoke with the machine shop that did my block/head work, and the guys at the parts stores, and they suspect I might have an intermittent air leak. guess as soon as I get the pump back in and re-install the stock plugs, I'll see what I can track down next.

Will

W_A_Watson_II is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-10-2013, 06:37 PM   #122
W_A_Watson_II
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Before I go on my rant about Aftermarket Parts Engineers and Bean Counters (My degree is in Engineering so I can rant), I think I might have to concede and say I'm running Lean. Fist I want to know who the (Expletive removed) Engineer was/is and the (Expletive removed) Bean counter who probably forced the Engineers had to make a (Expletive removed) generic fuel pump and sell it as an exact fit that in no way fits the vehicle! Even the Bosch replacement unit (The 3rd one I tried to make fit) fit's kind of crappy! It's in and at least it's snug and fits good enough that it isn't loose in the sending/pump bracket. Not the easiest to install, but it's in and working, quietly.

I also changed the fuel filter, but first a warning. If you own a Bone Creeper, and are in a low humidity area, or like me keep the shop humidity low, be very carful of electrostatic electricity. Every time I get on the creeper, and go under a vehicle, as soon as I touch the vehicle, ZAP! I got hit so hard the other day, my finger still hurts. I had to be sure to not let a spark fly while changing the filter, as fuel always runs out of the line and starts evaporating.

I re-installed the Champion Plugs, and a new one to replace the defect in #3.

Well, after this, it was still raining and wet out, so I backed the Jeep up to the door and opened it enough to vent the exhaust and shop. I started the Jeep and let it idle for a long time, and a few off misses, but all was well. A/F Ration was 14.6-15. After everything was good, I revved it up and held it at 2K, 3.5K and back to 2K RPM a couple of time.

On the third time, I got the miss I'd had before. So I held the throttle between 3 & 3,500 and started checking for air leaks or any other issues. None found. Then I saw something, and got worried, the exhaust header was glowing red, and bright. I let off the rpm, let her cool down and shut her off. Oil is still right on the mark, and as clean as brand new oil, no issues seen anywhere. I know with no air flow over the engine, they can sometime glow, but I suspect I must indeed be running lean. The A/F Ration gauge was showing 14.7-15 at these RPM's.

So I will order the Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator. Do you guys recommend the HESSO or the Leigh Performance unit?

I'll also order/build the MAP Sensor Adjustable Voltage Adjuster.

Now what should I set these at to start off with?

Thanks,
Will
Unread 02-11-2013, 03:47 PM   #123
W_A_Watson_II
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I've done some research and learned that the distributor pick up coil (or what ever you want to call it) doesn't affect spark timing, it's used for injector timing. Wrangler Forum- How/Where to adjust the timing? So I Indexed the Distributor. As you will see in the pictures, the distributor would have been sending the injection pulse just a little late. I opened up the slot on the "ears" and re-installed the distributor properly indexed.

Took the Jeep out for a leisurely drive, no high RPM's or hard accelerations. It did miss some after I started it and drove it out of the shop, but shrugged that off to the computer learning the slightly new curve. And again, after everything got well warmed and up to operating temperature it started missing again. When it did this I pulled off the road to a safe place, and opened the hood. At idle all was fine, revved it up and the miss started. Held it there for a little bit, and could see the header starting to glow red. So I headed back home. After this mornings test with the re-indexed distributor, it looks and seems to me that the fuel was still getting into the exhaust manifold and burning there. This to me it was still a spark/timing issue. So since I'd been through everything else except the computer and CPS that is as you see above where I went. SilverXJ over at Jeep Strokers yesterday suggested: "after having ruled everything else out that I should check the CPS as a weak signal as the engine revs higher and the sensor gets hotter could be the problem." Thinking through it, if it's spark timing related, perhaps the new CPS sensor was bad. Could it be getting hot and causing the problem? So I grabbed the old one and pulled the new one out. You can see that it looks like the flywheel has rubbed across the face of the new CPS, and a small sliver torn loose. The new one has no slot for adjustment, just a hole, unlike the old one that has a slot.

I just completed a 26 mile trip in the Jeep, and for the first 3/4's of it I just cruised, no hard accelerations or high RPM's. No misses like I had this morning, so I did the 3,500 RPM at 55 MPH for a while and then shifted to 3rd, and unlike before, still no misses. Next I did a couple of hard accelerations, and even at 5,000 RPM and an 80 MPH (it still didn't shift to 3rd until I let up a little), still mo misses. I'll have to adjust the cable a little more to see if it correct the shift issue, if not I'll let the transmission guy address it. So after the 26 miles and no miss, it looks like, and Lord please let it be, the CPS was indeed was the problem. The A/F Ratio seems to average out about 14.4/14.5 at cruse and idle. On hard accelerations, it doesn't go as rich as before, and seems to hit 11.0 at 5,000 RPM. Guess I'll stay on my old factory CPS until it fails. Guess that's what I get for replacing parts that were still good. The 1" body lift sure made it easy to change it though.

I want to thank everyone here who has helped, not just Silver XJ. This is a great community and I've sure learned a lot and I'm sure there is more to learn.

Will
Unread 02-11-2013, 06:45 PM   #124
straightsixjeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

This is the best news Iv heard all day! Congratulations Will! Down the road if you need it they sell an aftermarket cps that runs off the crank shaft on the front of the engine. Either way, enjoy that beauty.
straightsixjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2013, 07:16 PM   #125
W_A_Watson_II
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by straightsixjeep View Post
This is the best news Iv heard all day! Congratulations Will! Down the road if you need it they sell an aftermarket cps that runs off the crank shaft on the front of the engine. Either way, enjoy that beauty.
Thanks. I looked in to the damper mounted CPS when I found I needed a new damper, but decided to stay this way for now. My next trick will be axles, as I'm sure with all this new found power I'll be breaking the 30/35's.

Will
Unread 02-12-2013, 06:40 PM   #126
W_A_Watson_II
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Took the Jeep for a couple more test drives today. So for all is well, the miss has not returned, YEA! It still amazes me how much pep the Jeep has with the 3.07 gears and 31" tires. Now to not break an axle (too soon). The shifting seems to be better after a couple of kick down cable adjustments. It's now shifting just above 4,500 RPM when the pedal is to the metal. the Jeep is as with all projects not done, but I can now safely and enjoyably drive it again.

Will
Unread 02-12-2013, 07:04 PM   #127
straightsixjeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Are you in Missouri? We need to hit the trails
Unread 02-12-2013, 07:07 PM   #128
W_A_Watson_II
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Have property and family their, but currently in central IL. I like Flat Nasty, and WASITA. Hope to get to SMORR and North West Arkansas this year.
Unread 02-12-2013, 07:09 PM   #129
straightsixjeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Smorr is about 4 hours south of me. A group of locals went last week. Were all getting ready for KS Rocks in two weeks where they are holding their Frostbite event. Your wrangler really turned out nice, must be making some power to lay some rubber with that tire/gear ratio.
Unread 02-12-2013, 07:25 PM   #130
W_A_Watson_II
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Hadn't heard of that event, but that doesn't surprise me being on the other side of MO. Yea, the Power is amazing, I didn't expect it with the gears it has. I'm sure I'm in for some axle breakage (I have 4 spare rear axle shafts ready), but I don't look forward to the braking them. I plan on going to 1 ton's, but need to decide on which axles and locate a set to start building to put underneath.
Unread 02-12-2013, 07:26 PM   #131
straightsixjeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Are you going to start wheelin full force or slowly creep into the trails now that this yj is mint?
Unread 02-12-2013, 07:36 PM   #132
W_A_Watson_II
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I've got a Dodge M37 I was and will continue wheeling. I picked up the Jeep to see how it would be to wheel a more nimble vehicle and with an automatic. The Wrangler will get wheeled, I'll just enjoy it a little before I scratch and bang it up, so I'll ease it back into the fun. Part of my paint decision to go with the flat paint was to make it easier to touch up and not show the scars as bad.

Unread 02-12-2013, 07:43 PM   #133
straightsixjeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Good idea on the paint, makes sense. And the Truck is one heck of a ride. I would daily drive that! Get some pictures of your beauty on the trail sometime. Have fun out there!
Unread 03-05-2013, 04:49 PM   #134
W_A_Watson_II
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Started building the Rock Sliders today. Decided to use a piece of the 2" x 4" x 0.120" steel tubing I had left over from the Power Wagon Stake Bed project, and split it rather than having a piece of steel bent. Since these are not my permanent Rock Sliders. Once I swap in some 1 ton axles and build by own Tube Fenders and Rear Fender Flair, I'll need to build new matching Rock Sliders. Now to get some tubing and finish them off.

Will
Unread 03-05-2013, 04:58 PM   #135
straightsixjeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Clean clean clean!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.