Started the "Transmission Job", well OK, a complete Stroked Overhaul - Page 8 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Advanced Jeep Tech > Started the "Transmission Job", well OK, a complete Stroked Overhaul

TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG4th of July Military Discount! (Active: July 2 - 16, 2014)Currie RockJock Products!!

Unread 01-27-2013, 07:25 PM   #106
W_A_Watson_II
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Connected the Heater Hoses, Installed the Wipers. I also installed the front fender flares, and then the front Fenders. WOW, are these fenders difficult and challenging to attach. I also attached the guard for the air filter. I tried to apply the "Jeep" Decals I ordered, but they were in no way the proper font/design. Guess I'll have to order a set from a better supplier. Next I need to order the front side lights, so I'm legal and mount the MP3 Amp in/under the dash. I've probably got 460 hours into the Jeep over the last 5 months, with 60% of the time in Body Work and Paint. A lot of fun and learning.

As Purchased:

Start of the Job:

As it sets this evening:
Will

W_A_Watson_II is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2013, 08:14 PM   #107
straightsixjeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Absolutely mints wranglers, excellent detail! Really looks good. Did you get the same tires put on the other yj?
straightsixjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2013, 08:17 PM   #108
W_A_Watson_II
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by straightsixjeep View Post
Absolutely mints wranglers, excellent detail! Really looks good. Did you get the same tires put on the other yj?
Thanks, I've only got the one YJ. It was black when I bought it, but is now Sahara Tan.
Unread 01-28-2013, 06:35 AM   #109
jmakinen
1990 MJ Comanche 

Beautiful..... wanna do mine now?
jmakinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2013, 07:08 AM   #110
W_A_Watson_II
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks, I doubt you could afford me and I've got plenty of projects for now. Need to get the W500 Fire Truck painted some day, as well as do the restoration on the '49 Power Wagon as well.
Unread 02-04-2013, 03:34 PM   #111
W_A_Watson_II
1993 YJ Wrangler 

The weather warmed up, and I put 33 miles (for a total of 37) on the Jeep on the road today after installing the side markers. The Jeep exhaust volume has moderated downward, and the A/F ration is a little better. At road speed it's bouncing between 14.3 and 15.5, it does bounce more than I expected. It did developed a miss at speed after it warmed up, but it wasn't predictable or re-creatable or always there. Also on hard full throttle acceleration, it also misses some above 4,000 RPM before it shifts. I'm thinking I might have a fuel delivery/pressure issue.

Unread 02-06-2013, 02:38 PM   #112
W_A_Watson_II
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Took the Jeep to the Exhaust Shop to get a 2.5" tail pipe made and installed. I'll need to trim the rear off so it doesn't extend beyond the fuel tank and spring, but they were able to tuck it up high enough. The bends do add some restriction, and the addition of the tail pipe, along with some run time on the engine/muffler has toned it down so it's not as loud. I also need to install the tail pipe band clamp once I trim the tail pipe. I did experience the miss again, after the engine get up to good running temperature. I watched the A/F ratio, but it bounced both high and low on the miss. Also the miss was there occasionally at idle, so I'm think perhaps more plugs than fuel.

Will
Unread 02-07-2013, 01:52 PM   #113
W_A_Watson_II
1993 YJ Wrangler 

First, it's amazing how much quieter the Jeep is with the tail pipe and the plug gap closed down a little. It still sounds good, just not as bad a$$ as before.
I pulled the tail pipe out after marking where to trim the exit end. I then cut and cleaned up the ends and pipe before painting it. Once dry, the Pipe was re-installed and checked for exit clearances. As long as nothing gets between the spring and fuel tank it should be relatively safe.
Based on how the Jeep ran yesterday, and that the miss seems to come on after the engine was well warmed up, and the miss was present at any engine load/speed and not consistent, I believe the issue is plugs and not fuel. So I pulled the plugs. They were a strong 0.055" gap that I initially set them at, and looked decent. Plug 3 looks whiter, while plug 5 is darker, but "I" don't see anything that tells me anything. Based on others knowledge and comments, I decided to close the gap up some, so I re-gaped them to a strong 0.040". So I start the Jeep up, and the A/F ratio gauge doesn't bounce around nearly like it did before at idle. So I take it out for a test drive. Everything seems good, the Jeep sounds quieter, and the A/F ratio gauge doesn't bounce near as bad as it did before, even at engine speed. Well, once the Engine was well warmed, the miss was back, and again at all engine loads and speeds. Not consistent like it's a single cylinder, and it's very very bad at had acceleration once it tries to exceed 4,000 RPM. I watched the A/F ratio gauge and when it misses now it seems to bounce more to the rich side, suggesting (to me) that it's still a plug problem. The plugs are NGK BKR6E-11 (yes "E", not "3" as written on the cardboard). The stock plugs would be Champion RC12LC4. Based on what I've found the NGK's I'm using are one temperature range cooler, which is what was a recommended starting point for my stoker. So now do I go one more step cooler?

Will
Unread 02-08-2013, 06:06 PM   #114
W_A_Watson_II
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Still have a miss in the Jeep after going another range colder on the plugs

After installing the NGK BKR7E-11 (Gaped at 0.044Ē) I took the Jeep out for a spin. A/F Ratio seems even more stable. However it started missing even before it warmed up. Might have just been new plugs, but nope. A few miles down the road I got on it. Missed at high RPM, at 4,000+ RPM, A/F ratio in 10-11.5 range (rich).

Here is a video, you donít hear the miss in 2nd at 5,000 RPM and 80 MPH:

Here is another video of the same, I let off the throttle so it would shift into 3rd, as it wasnít in the previous video:

Here are three videos at road speed 50-55 MPH, you can kind of hear the miss and see the A/F ration swing left (rich) when it does, at least thatís how I read it:

Below is a random plug (#5) I pulled after getting home. Engine was well warmed, and missing, and running at 2,250 RPM when I shut it off and pulled the plug.

Now I wonder where I go next? A/F Ratio at High RPM is Rich, and in the normal range while driving, so Iím still not convinced the miss is fuel related.

Thanks,
Will
Unread 02-09-2013, 11:20 AM   #115
W_A_Watson_II
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Tried the stock Champion Plugs with out and with the old coil, and the miss is still there. The 2nd gear 5K miss in the one video where it doesn't shift to third is the rev limiter, but I do still get misses under hard acceleration once the miss appears.

With the stock plugs fresh I started it and a miss was quickly there, then as the engine warmed up it was gone. several miles and good runs and all seemed well. That is until I ran for a short distance in 2nd at 3,500 RPM and 55 MPH, as soon as I put it up into 3rd, the miss was there and very prominent.

Once back at the shop I let it idle and checked for misses and any leaks, none. I rev it up to about 4,200 RPM and the miss is there, drop back to idle and it's gone. I've shut it off at 2,000 RPM, and will pull the plugs for one last check before I start looking else where for the issue.

Frustrated,
Will
Unread 02-09-2013, 04:05 PM   #116
straightsixjeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

So the miss only started after the rebuild?
Unread 02-09-2013, 04:09 PM   #117
W_A_Watson_II
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Yep.
Unread 02-09-2013, 04:24 PM   #118
straightsixjeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Hmm. Your getting fuel and spark. What did you set the timing to? New crank shaft position sensor? Trying to think what other electrical sensors could be bad or at least not adjusted properly. I want to hear that thing running as good as it looks.
Unread 02-09-2013, 04:40 PM   #119
W_A_Watson_II
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Timing is not changeable and controlled by the Renault Computer. New Crank Position Sensor, and a whole lot of other new parts. I think the only old parts are the TPS (the new one shot craps) and the gauge temperature sender. If the fuel pump dosn't resolve it, and I still can't find an air leak, I guess I'm off to a shop with the scanners, etc to find it.

Two of us, after all the work (and $) I'm ready to drive. When she's running with out a miss, boy does she run, even with 3.07's and 31's!
Unread 02-09-2013, 04:46 PM   #120
straightsixjeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by W_A_Watson_II View Post
Timing is not changeable and controlled by the Renault Computer. New Crank Position Sensor, and a whole lot of other new parts. I think the only old parts are the TPS (the new one shot craps) and the gauge temperature sender. If the fuel pump dosn't resolve it, and I still can't find an air leak, I guess I'm off to a shop with the scanners, etc to find it.

Two of us, after all the work (and $) I'm ready to drive. When she's running with out a miss, boy does she run, even with 3.07's and 31's!
You have come a long way and once you get this miss figured out Im sure you will really, really start enjoying this YJ. Im on 31s with 3.07 gear ratio as well, Im sure yours gets up and goes with the fresh drivetrain. Have you hooked a vacuum gauge up to the manifold? Does the computer control the A/F ratio? Keep us updated.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.