Spongee brakes - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Advanced Jeep Tech > Spongee brakes

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippSpartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 10-31-2013, 11:30 PM   #1
KalvinsBlueJeep
1946 CJ2A 

Cj Spongee brakes

THe run down:

4 wheel disks using a ford (big) bronco/f100 hubs, spindles and rotors on all 4 corners (5 by 5.5 bolt pattern)

69 corvette master cylinder no proportioning valve yet

front calipers are from a 2wd C10 (long hoses) using the factory 4x4 (chevy) backing plates.

Rear calipers are 4wd front c10 calipers (short hoses) using the Chevy front 4x4 backing plates.

Question is: is the rear calipers requiring too much volume to work? THe 4x4 caliper piston is larger than the 2wd.

How do I fix? I was going to start by getting the same calipers on the front and back. What would be a good setup for me? Keeping the front setup and maybe changing the rear calipers and ? master cylinder?

KalvinsBlueJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2013, 05:45 PM   #2
BlueRubiconrich
1986 CJ7 

sounds like a bleeding issue.
BlueRubiconrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2013, 09:53 PM   #3
KalvinsBlueJeep
1946 CJ2A 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRubiconrich View Post
sounds like a bleeding issue.
I have tried bleeding these brakes so many times with gallons of brake fluid at very joint and no improvement.
Unread 11-02-2013, 06:20 PM   #4
TimV
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Bleeders on top of the calipers? It's very easy to switch calipers side to side and not realize it. They will never bleed right if you do this.
Unread 11-03-2013, 02:27 PM   #5
KalvinsBlueJeep
1946 CJ2A 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimV View Post
Bleeders on top of the calipers? It's very easy to switch calipers side to side and not realize it. They will never bleed right if you do this.
yes bleeders on top.

The front brakes seem to work correctly. in 2wd low I cannot hold the rear wheels from spinning at idle no matter how hard i hit the brakes and how many time I pump them. That is why I was wondering about the volume required. I know calipers mainly rely on pressure not volume but maybe the piston size is too large? What about using residual pressure valves?

I have been running this setup for a while with soft pedal and am just tired of it. I sometime have to put it neutral (automatic trans) in order to stop. I am getting too old to live on the edge of disaster anymore. Plus my son just turned 18 and want to give it to him.

Last edited by KalvinsBlueJeep; 11-03-2013 at 02:37 PM..
Unread 11-05-2013, 04:50 AM   #6
RedNeckCorvette
1979 CJ7 

Start with a proportioning valve as the rear brakes always require less pressure than the front. Sounds to me you are lucky not to be spinning in circles during hi speed stops.
If you can't figure it out don't give it to your kid, you can bet he can't fix it.
RedNeckCorvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2013, 10:37 PM   #7
Scarfist
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Is the rubber seal under the cap swollen?

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.