scout t19 options for t-case? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Advanced Jeep Tech > scout t19 options for t-case?

RCI FUEL CELL BRACKET - Perfect for the back of your JeepARTEC LABOR DAY SALE - 15% offNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wd

Unread 12-09-2012, 12:33 PM   #1
ltrail
1984 XJ Cherokee 

scout t19 options for t-case?

I got ahold of a scout t19(6.38 something first gear) and i think this will be my new tranny behind the 350 for the xj. As im sure everyone knows the project changes 937 times before completion.

Google and all the searching has come up with billion dollar adapive kits.

being that the t18/19 was used by most auto makers im curious if i can use factory junk to adapt the scout t19 to a (ford) driver drop case? I would guess that i could use the tail plate to get a ford bronco case behind it but have had no luck in the search. I got the trans for an amazing deal soo if it doesnt turn out without 12 different adapters to run it between my sbc and whatever t-case its no big deal.

I can probably , and fairly easily adapt the gm bell to the trans, but how to do this to a driver drop case is the question/

thanks
Brandon

Unread 12-14-2012, 09:44 PM   #2
sjsst41
1978 CJ7 

A passenger drop Jeep or Scout Dana 20 (or Scout Dana 300 if you can find one) should bolt right behind that T19 (with the texas bolt pattern). That transmission should have a 6 spline output that a bull gear would bolt onto. I am not aware of any off-the-shelf drivers side drop transfer cases that would bolt up without a special adapter (based on adapter availability, haven't searched in awhile).

I think you may have more of a challenge adapting the T19 input to the motor of your choice - that input shaft is long ! First gear on the T19 is 6.32:1, just verify it's a wide ration transmission though, since a lot of T19a's are out there, and are more common, with the 4:1 first gear ratio.
sjsst41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2012, 03:51 PM   #3
ltrail
1984 XJ Cherokee 

Yes, planning on swapping the ford input shaft, or the whole case and all if I could fund another this cheap. I want it to be driver drop case, I can probably adapt the rear I just don't find much info on these ttannys behind fords unless they were divorced. I looked into doubling the trans also as opposed to a doubler or 4:1 kits.
Unread 12-16-2012, 11:20 AM   #4
rjbruzan
2004 TJ Wrangler 

That trans has the "Texas" bolt pattern. All the IHs were passenger side drop. The transfer cases that will bolt to it without an adapter are the Dana 20,Dana 21,a single speed case, IH style 300 and a modified Dana 18. Might be cheaper in the long run to find something different. A Chevy-GMC NV4500 with a 6.1 first gear NV 241 case will all bolt to your 350. Most came with 350s. You could get a mid 90s 1 ton truck and pull all the stuff needed and get most of your cash back. Just because you get a deal on one part does not always mean its the best or most ecnomical way to proceed. Also the Hydraulic clutch on the GM will make clutch linkage a whole lot easier.
Then sell the IH parts to a Scout guy.

Ron

Its like a fart in a windstorm
It smells good but thats about it

Registered Six Offender
Home of the Buzzin Half Dozen
rjbruzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2012, 08:57 PM   #5
ltrail
1984 XJ Cherokee 

Ya, talking to some local scout guys. This is why I said if it's a billion dollar adventure I'll pass. If it was a swap this and that type situation and run this transfcase I'd be more inclined.

Found what I believe to be sm465 and a 205 together for a decent price. They from a Chevy pickup so this seems the better option. Will use the 205 range box for doubles and will figure out which case I want behind it.

Either way I want 2 trannys or transfer cases for obvious gearing reasons. I thought the nv35-4500 tyranny was pretty long setup so maybe I will look into it but don't require the overdrive. Overall length will have to be a factor.
Unread 12-17-2012, 07:55 AM   #6
sjsst41
1978 CJ7 

Agreed - the transmission is worth more to a Scout, or other IH wheeler, than the cost it'll be to get it under your rig. It's possible, but you might be treading new ground with adapting it in if you are locked into a drivers drop configuration.

If you have the wheelbase though - you could run a passenger TC, and a divorced drivers drop 205 behind that for a cool doubler setup !
sjsst41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2012, 09:05 PM   #7
ltrail
1984 XJ Cherokee 

Thought that also. Was at ~104 after rear links, now moving rear again and a little out front with the 3 link for better angles. The thing im trying to avoid is being too long. Buy with the projected 38" tire I will have closer to 90* angle front and rear. I'd rather not run a 2 piece drive shaft but that seems it will be necessary sooner than later.

I trade 2 sets of Chevy 44 shafts for tranny. I originally asked 20 each for a grand total of $80. I took the trans in return. So now I've been offered about double that and found the sm4XX and a 205 together for 400. Will likely get rid of the t19 as the 420/465 both have deeper first gears. Not concerned with not having synchronized first gear as I read some of them don't. But if I can double my money on the trans and talk down that 400 pair I'll be set!

Thanks

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.