reliability of t90 behind 283? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Advanced Jeep Tech > reliability of t90 behind 283?

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 01-18-2013, 04:59 PM   #1
MrSmokey

reliability of t90 behind 283?

Hello,
i have been trying to become a jeep owner for a while, but still have not found the right one. i really wanted something stock, but i can justify it since i know the sbc well, and know parts are cheap etc...

im looking at a 62 wagon with a stock 283 with a 2 barrel in it, it was out of a 63-64 he said, but was not sure what it actually came out of, the current owner did not do the swap.
at least everything looks fairly period, no absurd exhaust, and the oil bath and stock dress up on the engine was retained.

im wondering if its worth it, or if i should just look for an earlier wagon with a flathead. extra power is always nice, but i dont really "need" it.

if the t90 will hold up if not ran ragged all day long thats fine with me, but if the occasional romp will kill it, if i need to do some serious work with the thing, then it is a no go. this is to be a work vehicle/driver and not so much a toy, i want to be able to rely on it. still, i don't plan on treating it like garbage.

i searched a bit and found conflicting answers... i suspect that is what i will find here.

i bet the t90 is quieter behind the 8 than it is behind a 4 though... but thats not the question.

thanks guys!

MrSmokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2013, 05:12 PM   #2
rjbruzan
2004 TJ Wrangler 

The T90 was designed for a 4 cylinder about 60-80 HP. The 283 is around 150 HP.But There have been 10000 or more Chevy V8s swaped into Jeeps. Your trans is about 50 years also. This does not mean it wont last? Nobody knows how you drive or the condition of this trans.
Just figure it will be the weak link and dont be surprised IF it breaks. Just have a back up plan if it does.
This will be a very fun and attention getting Jeep.

Ron

Its like a fart in a windstorm
It smells good but thats about it

Registered Six Offender
Home of the Buzzin Half Dozen
rjbruzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2013, 08:17 PM   #3
MrSmokey

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbruzan View Post
The T90 was designed for a 4 cylinder about 60-80 HP. The 283 is around 150 HP.But There have been 10000 or more Chevy V8s swaped into Jeeps. Your trans is about 50 years also. This does not mean it wont last? Nobody knows how you drive or the condition of this trans.
Just figure it will be the weak link and dont be surprised IF it breaks. Just have a back up plan if it does.
This will be a very fun and attention getting Jeep.

Ron
thanks Ron, all good points.
lets just say i would drive it respectfully since i need to count on it.
i may have meant my question to be more generalized than it came out.
sure the trans is 50 years old and i really have no clue of the condition of it, that not what i meant to be asking.

if i could get some input from those who have run a like swap that would be great, i just dont care to be going through them like there is no tomorrow.

this would be a t90j that willys trusted enough to run behind the tornado which does not have power number "too" far off of a stock 2 brl truck 283. but maybe that extra bit is enough to trash the thing.

i am not really sure of the differences between the a, c, and J in reference to t90 variants.

i have never rebuilt a t90 or looked in one, but if they are anything as easy to rebuild as t5 i would not be opposed to having a spare to rebuild on a rainy day to put on the shelf for when the time comes.
MrSmokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2013, 08:36 PM   #4
rjbruzan
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Not hard to rebuild at all. Herm the overdrive Guy sells them
http://hermtheoverdriveguy.com/.
Not beating on it will have a big effect.
My opinion is to go to something stronger if this one fails. Have a plan before it happens.
As to getting a Chevy engine or the Tornado is sooner slam my hand in a car door then have that 6. Like you said the 283 is just cool.
Ive owed a 350 powered Scout for 35 years and its still cool.

Ron

Registered Six Offender
Unread 01-18-2013, 08:37 PM   #5
rjbruzan
2004 TJ Wrangler 

The differences are the input shaft length for various engines.

Registered Six Offender

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.