Project Rear Steer - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Advanced Jeep Tech > Project Rear Steer

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHut

Unread 04-15-2012, 11:11 PM   #46
jason m
your ad here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climbit View Post
I'd like to see more pics and tech on what you are using to control the rear hydro setup.

I will have to look up the specs on the rear valve, but its a log splitter valve. I ran the feed from the P-pump threw the rear valve and then coming out from that I feed it over to the front orbital valve.

Out of the rearsteer valve I have two line's one for left and one for right, so when you want to steer left just pull the lever and same for right. I'm using all -6 ( 3/8 ) hydro lines with a combo of JIC and Pipe fittings. Ive tried to keep it as simple as I could afford.
I sourced alot of the lines and valves from a Fork truck and used tractor supply rams and fittings.

I will get a Pic of how some of the plumbing works and looks like. It sounds complacated but its really not. My only concern is I did not do any mods to the P-pump so its basicly a stock pump. But P-pumps are used in one ton trucks for hydro boast and steering so they produce the most pressure in stock form.

Down to one fitting and I can blead the steering and fire the jeep up, it has not ran since early 2011.

Jason.

And on the 8th day, God created the 14 bolt....
jason m is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2012, 06:01 AM   #47
jason m
your ad here...

Its alive and drive's real nice. I can crab and tight steer with little effort. The P-pump with the smaller 3.5" pully spins that pump at a nice speed and at a low rpm.
Once I do some pump mods and maybe even a new one ( that one came off a 81 one ton ) it should be even faster.

Things I want to do to improve on what I have, bigger cooler and a Hydro boast for the brake's.

I noticed the two front line's get warm knida fast. The old cooler I used worked real well for the Hydro assest, but now I have double the rams and tripple the lines, so that adds more heat.

Second thing is with the 5.38's I'm plowing threw the brake's. I need more clamping force. I might try messing with the rod going from peddle to the boaster. I had to fart around with that before when I had a brake issue in the past. So a Hydro boast is in order, I think I have one off a that 81 oneton, that should do the trick.

All in all i'm very pleased, of course being spooled/welded front and rear I get alot of scrub on the driveway or on dry pavement but on the trail I will be fine. It was a long trip and being down for close to a few years it feels real good to be back in saddle again.

Jason.

Unread 04-17-2012, 10:16 PM   #48
Hussler
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Wow, that was the slowest axle replacement thread ive ever seen!

Post up some vids
Quote:
Originally Posted by BorderC View Post
I see you also twizzled your scart lead. Well done! :thumbsup:
92 XJ with ARB's, 5" lift, too much armor, 33's and some other garbage
Hussler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2012, 10:36 PM   #49
jason m
your ad here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hussler View Post
Wow, that was the slowest axle replacement thread ive ever seen!

Post up some vids
LOL, take's alot to lay it out and it works for the most part perfect. Plus I swapped the 88 Ford 60 front to a 78, installed 5.38 gears, made all my own Mis spacers, disc brake brackets for the rear, all my own tabs, high steer arms in double sheer and a 3 link that got shelve for next year due to lack of funds for the Hiems.

So it was a total rehab along with a rearsteer install You got to remember I hammerd this Jeep for years and never really done anything to improve on it. So this was like a semi complete tear down and just go threw old parts and rehab them.
But its done and Vids will happen probally this weekend if the rain holds out.

Jason.

Unread 04-18-2012, 04:20 PM   #50
jason m
your ad here...

Driveway shots, mind you I can't flex it till I get the rear shocks aired up, so no flexy shots yet

Still trying to get the brake's up to snuff and im still burping some air out of the steering, kinda puked a little when I pulled it out for these shots.

Jason.

Unread 04-18-2012, 04:44 PM   #51
caputod
1999 TJ Wrangler 

i just saw this thread quality work how did you lay it out before you cut or welded the lengths
White Jeep Club Member #58
caputod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2012, 05:52 PM   #52
jason m
your ad here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by caputod View Post
i just saw this thread quality work how did you lay it out before you cut or welded the lengths
Thanks caputod, not sure what you mean buy "welded the length's" but if your talking about the inner axle shafts then there just stock Chevy length. If your refering to the upper and lower links then I just reused my old ones when I had the 14 bolt on a 4-link.

Again maybe i'm not understanding what you mean but I'm happy to answer.

Jason.

Unread 04-19-2012, 01:29 PM   #53
caputod
1999 TJ Wrangler 

you answered my questions i didn't know the stock rods would fit under the jeep but your jeep is no where near a stock jeep.
White Jeep Club Member #58
caputod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2012, 08:21 PM   #54
jason m
your ad here...

Well I got a few runs on the Jeep now, seems to be holding up fine to the abuse I'm putting it threw.
What it needs for improvements, needs a larger dispalcement ram for the rear. I'm going to install a 3" boar ram, this will help with some of the hard steers I find when I have the weight on it.

Needs a larger cooler, I got one over the weekend from a friends buggy, he upgraded and had these sitting around. I can get about 10 minutes of hard wheeling before the steering gets hot to the touch. I kinde knew this going into it, I knew the old cooler was a little on the small side but I wanted to get on the trails.

I need to do some pump upgrade's, I love the P-pump thats in there but I never drilled the port or strecthed the spring for more pressure, so that needs to be addressed.

But all in all I'm very pleased, I found my self doing things that I struggled on in the past, I also find my self getting into some more trouble also
Anyways heres some pics of me across the street from my house, my little 80+ acrea play land.

I have a few more, those where over the weekend, I have some of us up there from two ago weeks also. More to come.....

Jason.

Unread 05-07-2012, 08:36 PM   #55
Hussler
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Wicked! So how does the steering return to center? And how does the control work?
Quote:
Unread 05-07-2012, 08:37 PM   #56
jason m
your ad here...

Few more,

And I alway find a hole to stuff an Irok This was hung up enough that a 45-1 crawl plus a deep T/C could not move the jeep forwards or backwards. Of course Pics never show the true details.

We had to high lift the Jeep up out of the hole to get me cleared

Jason.

Unread 05-07-2012, 08:47 PM   #57
jason m
your ad here...

Quote:
Wicked! So how does the steering return to center? And how does the control work?
There is no auto return to center, I just for now look to see. But I'm getting more and more used to the feel of how the rig sits.
Its kinda hard to explain but you can tell even sititng still if the rig is not in a center line and I'm getting better and better at placing the rear tire's buy how it feels.

The rear is a simple log splitter valve, I have it set up so when I pull left the tire's will move the Jeep to the left and same for the right. Pretty simple and basic.
This was the second run and I'm getting better a big plus is you know that feeling when your hung up and you turn ever so slightly to left or right and it pulls threw.
With rearsteer all it take's alot of the times is a little left to right and it pops free and your over.

One big plus is rig placement, I mean now I can steer right into a line a with little effort, reverse in my Jeep gets used alot less

Jason.

Unread 05-07-2012, 08:53 PM   #58
Hussler
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason m View Post
The rear is a simple log splitter valve, I have it set up so when I pull left the tire's will move the Jeep to the left and same for the right. Pretty simple and basic.
Do you have a pic?
Quote:
Unread 05-07-2012, 09:05 PM   #59
jason m
your ad here...

Quote:
Do you have a pic?
No I don't think I do, but I'm 99% sure this was the valve I ordered from Surpluscenter.

http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.as...name=hydraulic

I Had to bend the Joystick up so I could mount the valve in a vertical spot and I adjusted the pressure relief buy at least one full turn.
This is so I don't bind the ram and force the fluid to bypass the pump, it makes the fluid do its job rather than try to skirt buy the pump.
But the down side is you build a ton of heat, that and when I dead head cylinders ( AKA bottom them out ).

Jason.

Unread 05-24-2012, 05:28 PM   #60
Diamond-x
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason m View Post
Looks pretty cool.

What's going on with your steering wheel?
Diamond-x is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.