Project Rear Steer - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Advanced Jeep Tech > Project Rear Steer

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFIron Cross Customer JK and TJ Wrangler Bumpers now at ROCK

Unread 12-24-2011, 11:58 PM   #31
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason m View Post
<snip>And Joe you can see where I notched my frame for the drag link. I will be full Hydro now so maybe I will cap the notch off, maybe not.<snip>
Ahh, I just saw this. Thanks for the pics & update, Jason.

It looks like frame frenching is in my future. I took a closer look today to see if I could do what fratis mentioned (install the links below the hysteer arms) and the leafs are in the way.

Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-07-2012, 08:20 AM   #32
kmcminn

That pic of your high steer arms makes me nervous! Hate for them to break on the trail.
kmcminn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-07-2012, 12:11 PM   #33
jason m
your ad here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmcminn View Post
That pic of your high steer arms makes me nervous! Hate for them to break on the trail.
Trust me the stock caps that I welded to are cast "steel" not a cast "iron".

I spray welded them with a pre-heat around 200*, its a 100% weld double fillet and I back ground the root.
I did a sample with another cap that I just welded cold, 19 volts and 190 IPM's no bevel and back grind. I beat on them with a 3lbs hammer and they didn't fail.

Now count in the fact that I will be spreading the load out over the OEM lower arms and I feel they will be fine.

If theres a failing point I will find it and if its does fail I will post the info and Pic's, I like posting what breaks on my rig.

Jason.

And on the 8th day, God created the 14 bolt....
jason m is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-07-2012, 01:28 PM   #34
mferrari
DelmarvaOffroad.com

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Your steering, especially running hydro is going to a lot more force than you beating it with a 3 pound hammer. One good roll or bouncing off a rock / tree with the wheel turned will put a huge force on that weld.
Thanks to our Sponsors:
Delmarva Offroad - F-O-A Shocks - BD Turnkey Engine - Under Cover Fab - Jer-C Transmissions - Quigley Driveshafts

Delmarva Offroad
You call it rolling, we call it R&D! 443-951-JEEP
mferrari is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-07-2012, 03:36 PM   #35
jason m
your ad here...

Trust me guys this not my first try at this

And I'm not thie first persion to do this, I got the idea from thread on Pirate maybe 6-7 years ago.

Again if it fails I will eat crow and admit it.

Jason.

Unread 01-15-2012, 12:48 AM   #36
Climbit
1999 XJ Cherokee 

updates? how is the rear steer going?
Climbit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2012, 06:56 AM   #37
jason m
your ad here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climbit View Post
updates? how is the rear steer going?
I got real buisy cutting tree's, so that was taking my time after work also.

Only real update I have is I'm getting my bender back and I found at a friends house a set of NON neck down stock inner shafts for the 78/79 front axle.

I have some time coming up this week and want to have the front steering done.
Rear just needs to be removed and welded, sorry no real updates as of yet life has a way of bogging me down.

Jason.

Unread 01-15-2012, 04:40 PM   #38
1 ton yj
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Looks good.

Here's what I did for steering on my GM 60. I got tired of breaking ARP chromoly studs in the knuckle and having to extract them, and having to stop after every trail and re-torque the high steer arms, so I got rid of them all together. Now the only thing those bolts have to do is hold the kingpin cap on. There's no lateral force on them at all. Rode hard all season like this without having to touch it (obviously since I didn't even take them off to paint them yet) including a week at the hammers.

1 ton yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2012, 07:01 PM   #39
jason m
your ad here...

Yes that idea crossed my mind, if you look here at a old Pirate thread http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...hlight=knuckle thats how they worked for years.
My goal was to re-use these arms and knuckles but the arms were not mine ( on loan from a friend for 6 years ) but there getting sold with the old axle.

Jason.

Unread 04-15-2012, 09:22 AM   #40
jason m
your ad here...

Well I'm getting close, real close. Should be a running steering rig this week, I hope. I need to make two Hydro lines for the front, got a stuck caliper bleader screw on the rear and the front brakes dont seem to work anymore eather
I think the front brakes have something to do with the rears not bleed right, if not i will have to pop on another set of calipers, used one's of course.

I will update with a hole bunch of Pics very soon.

List of what needs to be done,

Weld the rearsteer and steering valve mounts.
Add oil to the diffs.
Front line's.
Charge the air shocks.
Install front shocks.
Bleed the steering.

Got a run at my house on May 6th, I hope to be on the trail on the weekend before.
Heres a local site with last falls run,
http://newenglandjeepz.org/forum/pho...ys-little-run/

Thats why I upgraded to rearsteer, I had to keep up with my friends

Pics soon,
Jason.

Unread 04-15-2012, 02:13 PM   #41
jason m
your ad here...

Ok here's some Pics.

Front,

That last Pic of the ram I had to make a Bung that welded to the end of the rod. I wanted to drill and tap it for a 3/4x16 thread but it didn't fit in my little lathe. So I fabbed a bung and welded it on.
Plus I made all my own Mis spacers from brass, that took some time.

Jason.

Unread 04-15-2012, 02:34 PM   #42
Climbit
1999 XJ Cherokee 

the front shock mounts are interesting....

everything looks awesome though... need some video of you on the trail.
Unread 04-15-2012, 02:44 PM   #43
jason m
your ad here...

Front shocks are old and kinda home made, they came from a friend who raced dirt trucks. And one chrome rod is bent, I hammerd it back straight but it only has to last one seasion of wheeling, next year its off to 3 link for the front.
I had those shocks on the jeep for 7 years now and there done but they still kinda work

Vids will be on the 6th of May, got a huge run at my house and I'm itching.

Jason.

Unread 04-15-2012, 08:48 PM   #44
1 ton yj
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Looks cool!
1 ton yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-15-2012, 09:42 PM   #45
Climbit
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I'd like to see more pics and tech on what you are using to control the rear hydro setup.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.