Project Rear Steer - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Advanced Jeep Tech > Project Rear Steer

JK Front Lower Adjustable Control Arms!QTP Low Profile Cutouts Now @ MarylandSpeed- Free ShippingOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!

Unread 12-10-2009, 06:58 AM   #16
jason m
Web Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas_yj View Post
not much jeep left there, is there. But you've got some mad welding skills, great looking beads. I have a question, when you weld the tubes to the iron pumpkin like you did, do you have to preheat up the housing or anything, or can you just start welding it like it was two pieces of mild steel?
Thanks.
Clean the area good. Then I pre-heat till its hot to the touch ( maybe 180* ) then I weld them Vertical up, back step the welds and grind down the starts and stops. I do them in sections of 3's, like a 1/3 at a time, stop and spin the housing on the jackstands then weld that next 1/3 section.

And that was done with just MIG, not knickle rod. I used my MM250 set at 19.5 Volts and 185 IPM's.
Heres a close up with the MIG

And heres a friends 60 done with Knickle rod, stood this axle up flat and welded it.

Jason.

And on the 8th day, God created the 14 bolt....
jason m is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2009, 07:36 AM   #17
texas_yj
2007 JK Wrangler 

Thanks, I'm not a trained welder, but I have been welding with my MM210 for a while now, I build all my own stuff, I used to build sand rails and dune buggies, so I learned to build cages, but I don't know the ins and outs of welding different metals together, 180* is all it takes ah, thats good, I thought you had to get it like cheery red or something. I'm sure some others were wondering the same thing
Sold) 94 YJ, 4.0L 5 sp manual, Hard top, 33/12.50s, 4.10 ring&pinions, Polished D30 w/Aussie front, 8.8 rear w/ LS, 2.5" RC, 2" BL, 5/8" booms, TJ flares, SYE, custom F/R bumpers and rock sliders, 8k winch, dual optimas, HO alt.

2) (Sold) 99 TJ, mustang 5.0 GT 40, AX15/231J, trektop, 37x12.50r17 cooper STT, superlift 6" long arm, D30/44 w/ ARBs & yukons, customized warn bumpers, custom sliders, 12K winch w/ synthetic rope, custom paint

3) 2007 JKU being built now
texas_yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2009, 05:29 PM   #18
jason m
Web Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas_yj View Post
Thanks, I'm not a trained welder, but I have been welding with my MM210 for a while now, I build all my own stuff, I used to build sand rails and dune buggies, so I learned to build cages, but I don't know the ins and outs of welding different metals together, 180* is all it takes ah, thats good, I thought you had to get it like cheery red or something. I'm sure some others were wondering the same thing
Certon Cast and Nodular irons need to be heated up, Alot. But since no one I know or really anyone on the internet can say for sure the chemical mix of certon center sections ( Dana 60's, 44, and GM 14-B's ) I play it safe with small amount of pre-heat.

Ive welded alot of Big cast blocks and final drive housings when I worked for CAT. But they normally have some type of paper that tells the cheimcal desrpition or what type of rod to use along with pre-heat.

I'm going to cut the new arms tonight and will post Pics of them when i do.

Jason.

Unread 12-11-2009, 04:03 PM   #19
jason m
Web Wheeler

Got the axle all cleaned today, but damm it was cold out. I got more wire wheeling ( is the right way to say it ) to do. I did this under an hour as i didn't have a alot time today.
I did have a chance to cut and grind down all the brackets to. It needs more cleanning but i feal better that the heavy stuff and brackets cleaned off.

Heres the High steer arms i cut out of 3/4", I'm going to use them. I do have some 1" stock, but i think these will be plenty tuff.
Tommorw afternoon i hope to have the arms on and the TRE holes drilled and reamed. Will post more later, then its off to coil buckets and link tabs.

Jason.

Unread 12-18-2009, 08:10 PM   #20
jason m
Web Wheeler

Haven had much work done with this lately, been busiy. More to come with plenty of Pics. Trust me i wont leave you guys hanging.

jason.

Unread 05-29-2010, 09:47 PM   #21
jason m
Web Wheeler

Well I guess I left you guys hanging

A little update on this after alot of fabbing on two other buggys, one for KOH ( well assesting in plans and tube chassie ) and the other for a friend I put this back on the choppen block.
I have a RC date in July and want to have it ready for that. I found a set of used 5.38's for a LP 60, so I figured I will install those if I have time. But that also means getting a set for the front.

I'm ordering the valve this week and the I have a stock chevy P-pump I will run in place of my stock A/C pump. It served me years as a OBA but now with bead locks I no longer use it.
If I can sqeeze the pump in there without removing the A/C then I will try, but its not looking good.

I still dont have another new cammera since I ran it over, but I will get some updated Pics.

Jason.

Unread 05-03-2011, 09:13 PM   #22
jason m
Web Wheeler

Well allmost a year to the date and still not done yet, getting close but life gets in the way.

So, I got a 78/79 ford front now and bolth axle's are spooled and geared. I have the front mostly done just need to install the ram. Skipped the high steer arms for now and will run the steering off the OEM hole's in double sheer.

Pics soon and now that my 14 bolt went to a race buggy I have no choice but to get this axle installed, well bolth.

Jason.

Unread 07-12-2011, 06:09 PM   #23
jason m
Web Wheeler

Update, yes this along with alot of other prodjects is taking the normall to much time but heres some Pics of where I'm at.

Axle installed for mock up,

Using the OEM low steer arm but in double sheer,

another and thats a piece of 2" .250 wall DOM steering tube, should be enough,

Front with a 2x3 tube truss welded to the center section,

You can see the welded diff in that last pic and I'm going with the same style off the OEM arm steering for now. Over the winter I will make my own arms and tie them in.

More to come, but life allways has a way of slowing down the fun stuff.

Jason.

Unread 07-15-2011, 06:01 PM   #24
jason m
Web Wheeler

Lower link tabs are set now I can work at getting the tube work done for the upper mounts. A big hurdle was getting the old coil buckets space filled with some tube, I didn't want to re-do the hole back end of the Jeep so i came up with this.
Also made the upper monts brackets this week and got them tacked on, as much as it take's time I like hand fabbing my own tabs, plus the steel is free.
The axle is set at full stuff with 3.5"s of up travel, I will flex it before welding all the mounts in.

Pics,

Jason.

Unread 07-16-2011, 09:33 PM   #25
jason m
Web Wheeler

Got the upper shock mounts somewhat done, tabs are set and I just need to beef them up with some gussets, also got the hydro ram mounted.

Next is brakes and brake line's then I will plumb the hydro lines to the back then work my forward to the steering valve.

Got a good finger full at full stuff before hitting the frame.

Jason.

Unread 07-16-2011, 11:10 PM   #26
IEcrawlerTJ01
More than a web wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Lookin pretty sweet man. Rear steer is fun. Haha

I have ran forklifts and **** with it. For sure is fun to play with. Hahah

Nuff said...
IEcrawlerTJ01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2011, 09:26 AM   #27
jason m
Web Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEcrawlerTJ01 View Post
Lookin pretty sweet man. Rear steer is fun. Haha

I have ran forklifts and **** with it. For sure is fun to play with. Hahah
Ya its a blast, but with anything gets you into trouble easyer to. I do some very dificult stuff with a couple of friends buggy, I wouldn't dare try in my Jeep the way it sat before.

Beefed up the upper shock tab mounts and got the rear steer ram mounted. The axle side mount is going to get a bunch more steel or another mount added someware.

Its a 6" stroke ram, the one I had in the front. For now I will use it If theres no clearance issue's I might add a 7" or if i can put a 8" without binding or rubbing.

Working next on some 1/2 ton brakes for the rear, making tabs to weld to the stock knuckle

Jason.

Unread 12-21-2011, 12:30 PM   #28
jason m
Web Wheeler

Update, well I slowed down with work again, so thats a good thing and bad. Good, I got some time to work on this prodject, bad can't spend any money on parts, so I will make them myself.

Oh and for anyone who plans on building a truss for there axle, don't weld it on till you get it under the rig
I have to cut mine off as its to close to front crank under full stuff.

So heres some Pics of my hand made high steer arms for the front. I ended up using the 3/4" bar stock and welded them to some OEM cast steel steering arms. I welded them 100% with a 1/2" bevel on the arm side.

Now some would be happy with that, not me I'm tying the arms into the OEM lower arms. It will be hard for to explain and i'm still working on the small parts ( my own brass Misc spacers and 1"x 3/16" wall spacers ). Once I get them done I will post up.

Yes I'm sticking to leave's up front for now, to costly for the Hiems and such, plus they never let me down over the last seven years.

And Joe you can see where I notched my frame for the drag link. I will be full Hydro now so maybe I will cap the notch off, maybe not.
Oh ya I have all the valve's mounted and the rear line run, I will get Pics of them.

Steer arms

Frame notched

Jason.

Unread 12-21-2011, 01:36 PM   #29
ninjakid

1987 YJ Wrangler 

I've always wanted to see someone do this.
Looks impressive.
Life and money always seem to get in the way of our jeeps don't they?
Good luck getting it all together.
Thanks for sharing.
ninjakid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2011, 09:26 PM   #30
jason m
Web Wheeler

Got the front arms mostly done. I got the bronze mis spacers done just need to taper them a little. Had to make my own steel tube spacers. I could not find any 1" OD tube that would fit a 5/8" bolt. A little time on the lathe and I had them made in under and hour, I cut slow.

The two steel spacers will be attched buy some 3/8" thick plate and should transfer the load threw out the knuckle better.

I need to get the cylinder mounted and then I can runs the line's. After bleed the front and rear and test it out. Should make the spring without any issue's.

Pics,

Jason.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.