Project Rear Steer - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Advanced Jeep Tech > Project Rear Steer

JK Front Lower Adjustable Control Arms!QTP Low Profile Cutouts Now @ MarylandSpeed- Free ShippingOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!

Unread 12-08-2009, 10:19 PM   #1
jason m
Web Wheeler

Project Rear Steer

So what do you do when you get a free front steering Chevy 60 in good shape that has mactching 4.10 gears. Well you turn it into a rear steering axle of course.

Now i run Coils in the rear of my YJ, so the OD of my coild buckets are 46"s outside to outside. So this left no room on the short side tube for the upper truss to be welded to that side.
So what i did was drill and tap the OEM spring pad with 4-1/2" hole's and will run 4 grade 8 bolts that will lock that side down. And i also picked up the two 5/8 factory hole's that hold the spring plate down.

I'm going to run 2x2 1/4 wall tube for the upper truss and tie it into the other end buy welding it staright to the tube and to the top of the center section. I'm going to run the the rear 60 offset, I'm not going to center it. For a trail only Jeep that will see low speeds it shoud be fine.

The axle was a DRW axle so i took the OEM hubs and chopped off the flange and ground them till the rims would go over OD of the hub.

I have more to do but this is were I'm at now. Sorry for the fuzzy Pics, 39" iroks and camera's dont mix.

Jason.

And on the 8th day, God created the 14 bolt....
jason m is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2009, 10:24 PM   #2
jason m
Web Wheeler

For brakets I need to duplicate what was welded to my 14 bolt. This way i can re-use all the spacers and hardware. Agin sorry for the fuzzy pics hope you have your beer goggles on

Jason.

Unread 12-08-2009, 11:09 PM   #3
bigorangeyj
2002 TJ Wrangler 

If that 14bolt needs a new home, I solemnly swear I'll beat the ever living hell out of it.
bigorangeyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2009, 06:28 AM   #4
jason m
Web Wheeler

LOL. ya i gave that 14 bolt hell for years. I think for now it will go on the pile of axle's.

Jason.

Unread 12-09-2009, 10:47 AM   #5
themonkeyman
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Are you sure the rotation on the tires will be correct? I think the gear patterns are reversed front to rear, so running a front axle out back might result in the tires spinning backwards. I'm trying to puzzle it out in my head, but I think they will spin backwards unless you mount the axle upside down...
themonkeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2009, 11:23 AM   #6
bigbelman2009
1989 YJ Wrangler 

he will need to put in standard rotation gears in the back, im pretty sure the front comes with reverse rotation. then it will work. but it might be the other way. icant remember for sure
bigbelman2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2009, 11:54 AM   #7
fratis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

very cool thanks for posting. but you are replacing the 14 bolt youve flogged for years with a dana 60 with stock knuckles and stock sized ujoints? ctm or not are you concerned about durability? what else have you got planned?

for years ive had the opinion that rear steer was an unneeded extravagance that would hinder more then help, even though i was a closet fan and always wanted to build one. after watching a koh rig with portals and rear steer scream though the rocks i was out of the closet. still want to build one but i just finished a long term steering axle build and dont want to revisit that epic again.

ill just have to enjoy your pain. keep us updated.
fratis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2009, 11:55 AM   #8
bgredjeep
1987 YJ Wrangler 

No gear swap needed (its not running "rev. rotation" now. its a Chevy axle), and I'm pretty sure it will turn the correct direction as is. If anything, he would flip the axle (so the diff would be a high pinion) to make it rotate the other direction. I'm 99% sure that would only be needed in a rear engine configuration.
bgredjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2009, 01:11 PM   #9
jason m
Web Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by fratis View Post
very cool thanks for posting. but you are replacing the 14 bolt youve flogged for years with a dana 60 with stock knuckles and stock sized ujoints? ctm or not are you concerned about durability? what else have you got planned?

for years ive had the opinion that rear steer was an unneeded extravagance that would hinder more then help, even though i was a closet fan and always wanted to build one. after watching a koh rig with portals and rear steer scream though the rocks i was out of the closet. still want to build one but i just finished a long term steering axle build and dont want to revisit that epic again.

ill just have to enjoy your pain. keep us updated.
I agree Ive beat the snot out of my 14 for years with no problems and I also agree it was a very usefull axle. But the level of trails I'm running trying to keep up the buggys I run with is getting harder and harder to keep up.

I have sevral friends that run rear steer chevys with the stock inners and just the 35 spline outer stubs and flanges. So for a guy running 39's NON stickys I think I can keep the shafts stock for now. As far as the knuckle's, there the thicker Chevys ( not the thinner fords ) so i will probally just plate them.

As far as running a LP front as a LP rear for the guys asking about it. Its actually going to be stronger as a rear rather than a front. A LP front is runing on the coast side, so when you put the LP front in the rear is will be driving on the corrcet side, drive side. Dont confuse this with a HP front.

So gearing is not an issue or running just the way it came out of the factory truck, trust me this is not the first time ive done this

Got alot of snow today so no playing axle, got some High steer arms made up last night. Not sure if I'm going to run those are make a thicker set. I made these out of 3/4 inch, I have some 1" that i might build them out of.

More to come and again trust me the axle is fine the way it is.

Jason.

Unread 12-09-2009, 02:43 PM   #10
Apollo12227
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Amazing project man I love it! Wish I could do something like that lol, I only got a little mig so my welding world is very small . And a driveway and tool shed as workspace lol
Apollo12227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2009, 07:55 PM   #11
jason m
Web Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo12227 View Post
Amazing project man I love it! Wish I could do something like that lol, I only got a little mig so my welding world is very small . And a driveway and tool shed as workspace lol
Thanks, trust me its taking alot to get my jeep to this point.

Jason.

Unread 12-09-2009, 07:59 PM   #12
1997_Sport

Wow, cant wait to see this finished. Lets see some pictures of the jeep.

No jeep but I do have a 04.5 Cummins with a 4in exhaust, edge j/a, and I guess thats it....for now
1997_Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2009, 10:07 PM   #13
jason m
Web Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laxnyj18 View Post
Wow, cant wait to see this finished. Lets see some pictures of the jeep.
I havent upgraded my Accnt here so the only Pics i have are on my photobuck witch is not alot.

This is the axle that im pulling in place of the 60 steering axle and trust me i looked all ways to make a 14 bolt to steer. But the 60 is a cheaper route.

Jason.

Unread 12-10-2009, 05:46 AM   #14
1997_Sport

Sick work dude.

No jeep but I do have a 04.5 Cummins with a 4in exhaust, edge j/a, and I guess thats it....for now
1997_Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2009, 06:40 AM   #15
texas_yj
2007 JK Wrangler 

not much jeep left there, is there. But you've got some mad welding skills, great looking beads. I have a question, when you weld the tubes to the iron pumpkin like you did, do you have to preheat up the housing or anything, or can you just start welding it like it was two pieces of mild steel?
Sold) 94 YJ, 4.0L 5 sp manual, Hard top, 33/12.50s, 4.10 ring&pinions, Polished D30 w/Aussie front, 8.8 rear w/ LS, 2.5" RC, 2" BL, 5/8" booms, TJ flares, SYE, custom F/R bumpers and rock sliders, 8k winch, dual optimas, HO alt.

2) (Sold) 99 TJ, mustang 5.0 GT 40, AX15/231J, trektop, 37x12.50r17 cooper STT, superlift 6" long arm, D30/44 w/ ARBs & yukons, customized warn bumpers, custom sliders, 12K winch w/ synthetic rope, custom paint

3) 2007 JKU being built now
texas_yj is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.