possible issues with my 51" radius arms??!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Advanced Jeep Tech > possible issues with my 51" radius arms??!!

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDThe NEW Revolution Gear and Axle from 4LowParts.com

Unread 09-25-2013, 10:14 AM   #1
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

Question possible issues with my 51" radius arms??!!

ok this may sound weird but im trying to determine if im going to have an issue, I think I do but haven't been able to test for sure and don't want to end up in a precarious situation....

so on to the point...
I took this

and turned it into this

now may be jumping the gun on assuming I have an issue but would preffer input before I tear up my rig cause the front binds upp and I snap my arms and wind up totaling my jeep...

heres a pic of the parts in question...these are my 51" radius arms...these have adj jj's at frame and procomp bushings at axle..

and the track bar...

and with shocks...

and one pic of the rear...this setup works almost too well, I actually have about 10,000 miles on it just not in this jeep...

so I gave as many pics as I have at this given moment to aid in some possible advise....

heres my suspected issue...when it was just a frame and suspension(no rim or tires) on jackstands I attempted to manually flex it with my jack as it was fairly close to the ground...the rear seemed to move normally/freely but the front acted like it wanted to pick up the opposite "wheel" after about 5-6 inches of jacking...my jj's do seem excessively tight but they all feel the same and rear flexes just fine...being as the jam nuts weren't tight I thought the joints should have flexed and rotated to allow axle to move freely but this didn't happen...I should also prolly state that the front springs are 04 f350 stock front coils and are very stiff and maybe with out tires and wheels wouldn't droop?...also I have not really tried to flex it upon its reaching its current state of awaiting for the "gold" to fill axle housings due to its height...but don't have a forklift... I plan on attempting setting my floor jack on some solid blocks later to see what occurs...I still feel that with out being able to stuff the front on either side I wont be able to accurately determine if its going to bind...this is where yalls years of experience comes into play...if anyone has any comments on as to whether or not im going to wind up in a ditch playing turte please please post them now!!!

Shhhhhh I'm not crazy...It's just the voices in my head
freaknajeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2013, 11:07 AM   #2
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

ok so I decided to see if the suspension was going to fall away on the front...so here are the pics from the test...

and the angle of the arms in relationship to each other on each side..

a better idea of how the rear is setup...

and one of the front from underside...

ok so im open to comments, criticism, and whatever else you throw at me...lol

Unread 09-25-2013, 11:08 AM   #3
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

yes I know I need spring retainers....lol

Unread 09-25-2013, 12:42 PM   #4
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

so I took a risk and took it as high as I thought was safe considering jank way of jacking....so here ae the pics...I still think that the springs are way too stiff as they don't seem to drop out like I would have them but then I don't know if my arms are flexing either but the pics in prior post would suggest they are...hmmm...ok so on to the newest pics...

the high lift is just for a height reference and has no weight on it....

Unread 09-26-2013, 07:12 PM   #5
olysteve
2005 TJ Wrangler 

First off, I am no suspension expert but,,
A: It looks to me like the joints where your radius arms connect to the axle are trying to rotate on the bolt. I know you said you used poly bushings there. Look close at them when you have the front flexed and see if you can tell if I am on the right track.
B: Those front springs are way too stiff, imo. When you lifted the front drivers wheel, the whole body goes with it and forces the rear to do all the flexing. That equals the whole body taking all the movement of things that the front goes over.

To check for binding I think I'd block the front of the frame up and take out the springs. Then cycle the axle up and down straight, and one side up at a time. You should be able to tell easier this way if there is any weird issues with it.

Just my 2c worth.
olysteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2013, 11:46 AM   #6
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Cycle the suspension without the springs to see if the arms are binding.
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2013, 08:06 AM   #7
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by olysteve View Post
First off, I am no suspension expert but,,
A: It looks to me like the joints where your radius arms connect to the axle are trying to rotate on the bolt. I know you said you used poly bushings there. Look close at them when you have the front flexed and see if you can tell if I am on the right track.
B: Those front springs are way too stiff, imo. When you lifted the front drivers wheel, the whole body goes with it and forces the rear to do all the flexing. That equals the whole body taking all the movement of things that the front goes over.

To check for binding I think I'd block the front of the frame up and take out the springs. Then cycle the axle up and down straight, and one side up at a time. You should be able to tell easier this way if there is any weird issues with it.

Just my 2c worth.
That was pretty much what I kinda thought...and I agree about the springs..they are too stiff for the dj..they worked just fine on the xj tho...thanks for your advice it should prove to be very helpful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelin98TJ View Post
Cycle the suspension without the springs to see if the arms are binding.
I cycled suspension without springs when it was just a chassis the arms "seemed" to be stiff and unyielding but I was hoping it just might be my jj's were a little tight, I have never been able to cycle them by hand .....at this stage thanks to you guys helping me by confirming what I thought was happening I'm going to scrap the front arms and reuse lower axle mount locations and frame mount..and just and three link it..

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.