Poison spyder full cage - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Advanced Jeep Tech > Poison spyder full cage

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Advance Adapters SYE KitsRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 06-13-2013, 08:16 AM   #1
vortec85cj
1985 CJ7 

Poison spyder full cage

Does anybody know about these for a cj7? It seems fool proof with the laser etching and pre notched ends. I know it should be tig welded, but can I tack it with a mig to get it built then have a pro finish it?

vortec85cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2013, 06:46 PM   #2
NashvilleTJ

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vortec85cj View Post
Does anybody know about these for a cj7? It seems fool proof with the laser etching and pre notched ends. I know it should be tig welded, but can I tack it with a mig to get it built then have a pro finish it?
My brother and I installed a PSC cage on his CJ7 last year. The laser etching does make a big difference, and the fitment on the pieces was actually pretty good. I installed a PSC cage on my rig 5 or 6 years ago - before they used the etching for alignment - and it was a pain. The fitment back then was no where near are good as the current cage kits, and required a lot of work on the joints to get a proper fit. I definately recommend the current PSC full cage kits. It took us 5 or 6 hours to do the job start to finish.

Also, nothing wrong with MIG welding a cage - as long as you do it right. Tacking it and having a pro finish weld it is a good choice if you are not and experienced welder.

Good luck!

Jeff
jeep-davids-roll-cage-4-23-2011-046.jpg  
NashvilleTJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2013, 04:38 AM   #3
jason m
Web Wheeler

Quote:
Why should it be tig? If its standard 1026 DOM cage and not something else a 70 thousand filler rod ( mig or tig or even stick for that matter ) is the same. You get a little better heat control out of the tig, but its not needed here.
Even if the Cage is a chrome molly tube just use the correct filler wire like a 80 thousand filler and you can still mig it. Heck even if its T-1 tube ( which they don't make ) use a 100 thousands filler for a mig and your welds will be fine.

Its the filler making the weld that gives it the strength not so much process. Yes tig can offer a better a way of controling the heat but it can also be a bad thing.
Lets say you have a bad fit and a gap needs to be filled in, now your putting alot more heat from the tig toarch to fill that gap, were mig will fill it easyer with a lower heat count and less stress in the HAZ zone.

So to wrap it up tigs cool to say but not needed for a standard cage build, but if you want to pay a welder maybe 3 times the standard rate ( thats what I would get for a tig cage ) then gor for it.

Jason.

And on the 8th day, God created the 14 bolt....
jason m is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2013, 08:55 AM   #4
vortec85cj
1985 CJ7 

Every time I watch a video of a cage being built, it has been tig welded. I just assumed it was builders choice
vortec85cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2013, 10:23 AM   #5
jason m
Web Wheeler

Quote:
Every time I watch a video of a cage being built, it has been tig welded. I just assumed it was builders choice
Probally cause it was a chromemolly and agian Tig is the best to control the heat input of molly steels, but it can be done with the same strength with Mig.

Jason.

And on the 8th day, God created the 14 bolt....
jason m is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2013, 10:59 AM   #6
ArticRubi
Arrogant SOB

2008 JK Wrangler 

I've found TIG to be a bit more convenient welding around the circumference of the tubes. It is easier and cleaner starting and stopping your welds and personally I do a better job on the vertical bits with TIG. That said, it can be done with either. Most garage fabricators also don't have access to TIG equipment, damn expensive stuff for comparable quality MIG equipment.

Build Thread

Need parts? Need product advice? Contact Jason at Krawl Off-Road
ArticRubi is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.