JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Advanced Jeep Tech (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f369/)
-   -   Poison spyder full cage (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f369/poison-spyder-full-cage-1535958/)

vortec85cj 06-13-2013 08:16 AM

Poison spyder full cage

Does anybody know about these for a cj7? It seems fool proof with the laser etching and pre notched ends. I know it should be tig welded, but can I tack it with a mig to get it built then have a pro finish it?

NashvilleTJ 06-13-2013 06:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by vortec85cj (Post 15555932)
Does anybody know about these for a cj7? It seems fool proof with the laser etching and pre notched ends. I know it should be tig welded, but can I tack it with a mig to get it built then have a pro finish it?

My brother and I installed a PSC cage on his CJ7 last year. The laser etching does make a big difference, and the fitment on the pieces was actually pretty good. I installed a PSC cage on my rig 5 or 6 years ago - before they used the etching for alignment - and it was a pain. The fitment back then was no where near are good as the current cage kits, and required a lot of work on the joints to get a proper fit. I definately recommend the current PSC full cage kits. It took us 5 or 6 hours to do the job start to finish.

Also, nothing wrong with MIG welding a cage - as long as you do it right. Tacking it and having a pro finish weld it is a good choice if you are not and experienced welder.

Good luck!

Jeff

jason m 06-14-2013 04:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vortec85cj (Post 15555932)

Why should it be tig? If its standard 1026 DOM cage and not something else a 70 thousand filler rod ( mig or tig or even stick for that matter ) is the same. You get a little better heat control out of the tig, but its not needed here.
Even if the Cage is a chrome molly tube just use the correct filler wire like a 80 thousand filler and you can still mig it. Heck even if its T-1 tube ( which they don't make ) use a 100 thousands filler for a mig and your welds will be fine.

Its the filler making the weld that gives it the strength not so much process. Yes tig can offer a better a way of controling the heat but it can also be a bad thing.
Lets say you have a bad fit and a gap needs to be filled in, now your putting alot more heat from the tig toarch to fill that gap, were mig will fill it easyer with a lower heat count and less stress in the HAZ zone.

So to wrap it up tigs cool to say but not needed for a standard cage build, but if you want to pay a welder maybe 3 times the standard rate ( thats what I would get for a tig cage ) then gor for it.

Jason.

vortec85cj 06-15-2013 08:55 AM

Every time I watch a video of a cage being built, it has been tig welded. I just assumed it was builders choice

jason m 06-15-2013 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vortec85cj (Post 15564372)
Every time I watch a video of a cage being built, it has been tig welded. I just assumed it was builders choice

Probally cause it was a chromemolly and agian Tig is the best to control the heat input of molly steels, but it can be done with the same strength with Mig.

Jason.

ArticRubi 06-15-2013 10:59 AM

I've found TIG to be a bit more convenient welding around the circumference of the tubes. It is easier and cleaner starting and stopping your welds and personally I do a better job on the vertical bits with TIG. That said, it can be done with either. Most garage fabricators also don't have access to TIG equipment, damn expensive stuff for comparable quality MIG equipment.

The time now is 11:31 PM.