pinion markings - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Advanced Jeep Tech > pinion markings

1 Ton Heavy Duty Steering Upgrade Kit. New and Improved dStainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 02-09-2012, 04:18 AM   #1
coralman
green backs to no backs

1998 ZJ 

pinion markings

98 zj d35 3.55. Instead of plus and minus markings on pinion button I have this. Any ideas what they mean?

new-pinion.jpg

coralman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2012, 05:50 AM   #2
chrokeecountry
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Those look like the Chrysler version of upc/fna codes. Diff pinion gears have multiple splines/fittment and for factory PAD guidance, they mark them to the appropriate build of diff carrier, depending on the frt/rr axle gear ratio. if you call a local jeep dealer, they can call part assistance for you and give you gear ident info. If you're confident the pin gr is oe, use the diff pin gear bearing as part# guidance and ask for a casting conversion. Timkin bearing casts usually look like "TM00103-0464". Again, if the bearings/pin gear are oe, They should be able to build up your diff assembly and show the part number associated. Hope that helps!
chrokeecountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2012, 05:58 AM   #3
chrokeecountry
1996 XJ Cherokee 

You can always get the broadcast code off of the rr/frt axle tag and have a dealer run the cast in their conversions system as well.
chrokeecountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2012, 09:29 AM   #4
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Is there a scribed depth on the shaft?

If not, it's not real important. The depth markings help get the set up close from the start, but not having it isn't the end of the world. Start with the original gear sets Sim stacks and work from there till you get the pattern right.
If it's a bare housing with no associated gears already, you'll just have to use the pinion depth tool and start out with the factory proscribed "perfect" depth. Work out from there.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2012, 11:40 AM   #5
coralman
green backs to no backs

1998 ZJ 

Thanks guys. Country you must've been deep in the chrysler bowels to know all that. I learned something . Thanks. Rat, I have all the miller "doomajiggers"{lol,I can you grumbling at that one} and actually was going to test setup with all that stuff. Then use a start point in pinion shim depth that a assembly shop gave me and see how they compared. I got a good{compared to miller} price on the miller stuff by picking and pecking on ebay.

When i'm done with it all and see the thing is gonna stay together I'll offer it all up here as a kit or put it back on ebay. I'm just waiting on a new yoke and marking compound {which a jeeper told me to just use oil based artist paint}.

Next weekend will be start looks like. Going to autozone to get a pinion brg to use as a dummy.
coralman is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.