Pinion angle with CV Driveshaft - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Advanced Jeep Tech > Pinion angle with CV Driveshaft

Long Arm kits for all JK models from Clayton Off RoadFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 10-20-2012, 09:52 PM   #1
Noplainsdrifter
1974 CJ5 

Pinion angle with CV Driveshaft

I'm trying to set up my pinion angle for a CV driveshaft, after putting the pinion at the correct angle, it leaves my rear-end at a very steep angle. It looks like it might have oiling issues to the pinion gear because of the steep angle. I'm running a SOA with stock XJ springs. It just looks really extreme to me. Will this be ok to run this way?

p-1.jpg   p2.jpg   p3.jpg  
Unread 10-21-2012, 01:45 AM   #2
jason m
Web Wheeler

For street and trail or trail only, the Jeep? Trail only run it, you will get alot of oil splashing down to the oil gally.
Combe street and trail, no way a front pinion bearing is going to live long in that steep of an angle.

Jason.

And on the 8th day, God created the 14 bolt....
jason m is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2012, 07:02 AM   #3
nshefbuch
1982 CJ7 

That looks like to much to me too. The pinion will starve of oil. Let's see some pics of the output angle please.

Your not the first to do this swap so something else must be making the angle so severe

What's your drivetrain combo?
Unread 10-21-2012, 08:40 AM   #4
Noplainsdrifter
1974 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason m View Post
For street and trail or trail only, the Jeep? Trail only run it, you will get alot of oil splashing down to the oil gally.
Combe street and trail, no way a front pinion bearing is going to live long in that steep of an angle.

Jason.
Mainly off road, but it does get driven on the street, definently less than 100 miles at a time, closer to 50 or less I would guess.
Unread 10-21-2012, 08:48 AM   #5
Noplainsdrifter
1974 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nshefbuch View Post
That looks like to much to me too. The pinion will starve of oil. Let's see some pics of the output angle please.

Your not the first to do this swap so something else must be making the angle so severe

What's your drivetrain combo?
I'm running a T-18/D-20 combo, it still has about a inch tranny drop on it. I'm using stock XJ springs that are pretty flat, when I built the SOA I tried to keep everything as low as I could, I didn't want a huge lfit, just enought to clear 36's. I originally was running a regular driveshaft but was concerned with the steep u-joint angles. That's why I'm trying to setup this CV driveshaft.

This shot is with the old DS.
Unread 10-21-2012, 10:00 AM   #6
nshefbuch
1982 CJ7 

I can see your springs are flat. How long are your shackles? Could you cut them down for a lower stance? The angle on your cv is kind of severe too. Are the springs installed to stretch the wheelbase in the rear?

Sorry I'm not much help as my setup is different. I'm wondering if your location of motor is back some cause I'm running t18/d300 soa with yj leafs and my angles are no where near what yours are. The combo is a fairly short combo too which allows for a longer shaft and lesser the angles.
Unread 10-21-2012, 10:07 AM   #7
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

That's not a cv drive shaft that's a single/single. Output and pinion should be parallel... Though that will cause the operating angle of the joints to be too extreme.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2012, 10:17 AM   #8
Noplainsdrifter
1974 CJ5 

Shackles are a short as they can be without springs rubbing on the mount. The XJ are longer but I put the offset forward. The axle is centered in the wheel openings. The motor is setting in the stock location. I am using a CV driveshaft and D-20 output shaft from a Early Bronco. I also have a CV DS from a Cherokee but they measure up about the same length. I'm guessing the steep angles is because of the short drivline lentgh. Not sure where to go from here...

Ratmonkey, please read thread from the begining, I'm replacing that one...
Unread 10-21-2012, 10:20 AM   #9
nshefbuch
1982 CJ7 

Not sure this will help you much but at the axle pinion you want that actually at least one degree below tcase pinion. You could get by with 2 degree if you need too. Basically the axle pinion isn't suppose to be perfectly in line with the driveshaft as you need to allow for some deflection upward when power is applied.
Unread 10-21-2012, 10:37 AM   #10
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

get the right shaft in there an measure again, your angles will probably get even steeper.
even an aftermarket cover with higher oil capacity isn't going to help here. that's just a ton of lift for such a short drive line with that really, really low pinion axle.

Unread 10-21-2012, 10:38 AM   #11
Noplainsdrifter
1974 CJ5 

It is setting at 2 degrees, or close. I'm still just trying to mock it up. I really don't like the pinion angle that steep. Don't want to lower the tranny anymore. I need to go stare at it for an hour or so to see what I can change to fix it.

nshefbuch, I'm running almost the same setup except I'm using the D20... Nevermind, I was going to ask what your DS length is but now I see you have a CJ7, mines a 5
Unread 10-21-2012, 10:46 AM   #12
Noplainsdrifter
1974 CJ5 

Rat,

The first pic has the CV shaft in there, the other pic that you keep refering to was for someone wanting a pic of the output shaft. It really doesn't have tons of lift, just enough to stuff my 36's in the fenderwells.
Unread 10-21-2012, 10:49 AM   #13
Noplainsdrifter
1974 CJ5 

The problem is the short wheelbase, was thinking a CV shaft would help with the angles but with the CV joint it just makes the shaft that much shorter.

Keep the suggestions coming!

I keep thinking that I can't be the only CJ5 that has this type of setup...
Unread 10-21-2012, 11:28 AM   #14
nshefbuch
1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noplainsdrifter
The problem is the short wheelbase, was thinking a CV shaft would help with the angles but with the CV joint it just makes the shaft that much shorter.

Keep the suggestions coming!

I keep thinking that I can't be the only CJ5 that has this type of setup...
Lol. I thought it was a cj7 like mine so yes you are correct the wheelbase is killing you. Your only fix will be lowering the tcase more.

Sorry I was confused

In the pics of your 5 the tires are to big. At any compression they will get into your fenders.
Unread 10-21-2012, 12:44 PM   #15
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

the nature of the beast with tall lifts and the extra short cj-5's.
lower the case or stretch your wheel base.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.