Pass side drop in an XJ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Advanced Jeep Tech > Pass side drop in an XJ?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsCurrie

Unread 04-09-2013, 10:41 AM   #1
aircruiser
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Pass side drop in an XJ?

On a lunch break so I havent had time to search but I found a deal on some D70s and looking at a long term project but I am debating between keeping the D70 front or selling it and finding a D60. What tcases could I use and do they make adapters for the AW4? What do you guys do for exhaust clearancing?

Unread 04-09-2013, 12:11 PM   #2
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

D300, but you end up doing a lot of less than fun body clearancing. Then the link mounts in the front get fun too.

Sell it or retube it.
It's been done, but passenger drop isn't easy. Plenty of driver drop options.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2013, 07:20 PM   #3
aircruiser
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I was just gonna do leafs since its easy and no hassle with control arm angles and anything hanging lower than the axle. I figure I wont run anything bigger than 38s down the road so I am going to keep my eyes peeled for a nice 44/9" combo. Thanks tho I am still looking for a D300..twin stick would be nice
Unread 04-10-2013, 08:33 PM   #4
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

38's will chew up hp44's and 9"s all day long.
you still have placement issues for the driveshaft, exhaust, motor, trans, and frame no matter the coil/leaf suspension you use.

there's a couple guys on pirate that have done it.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2013, 10:35 PM   #5
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

OK - call me an idiot - but WTF is a passenger side drop?

edit - nvrmnd - did a little google'ing just now.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-11-2013, 12:59 AM   #6
aircruiser
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I know its a matter of he said she said at this point but my buddy runs 38.5" swampers on his yj with 44/9" and only breaks 44 shafts. I have been reading into the super 44 swap with d60 outers and 35 spline inners, seems legit. If not I was thinking maybe Toyota 8" axles but those go for gold. I've been watching pirate too which is kind of why I strayed away from the pass drop axles
Unread 04-11-2013, 08:28 PM   #7
jkl
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I did it, here is my build thread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/1-ton-xj-1225733/

'13 10th Anniversary Unlimited Rubi
'05 LJ on 35s
1 Ton XJ on 40s...went up in flames :(
1 Ton Scrambler Build Thread:"Project Taildragger"
...now parting out
jkl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2013, 01:39 AM   #8
aircruiser
1996 XJ Cherokee 

awesome thanks for the link, nice build
Unread 04-14-2013, 01:21 AM   #9
aircruiser
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Alright I picked up a D300 at a swap meet today, unsure what its out of but tailshaft in the tranny is same spline count IIRC. I am going to verify this before putting money into it but I will just order a flip kit because I should be getting a good deal on some 3/4 ton axles. I want to get the D300 in while the 30/8.8 are still in the jeep so anyone got any good sites for flip kits for the linkage and mounts for the D300 and any good tech articles on rebuilding a D300 and what I can all do to it?

Also anyone with tons, picking up a full float 60 rear and 44 front, assuming out of a dodge, 30 spline rear looking to do a 35 spline upgrade, who has some good places to get those kits?

TIA
Unread 04-14-2013, 03:27 AM   #10
jason m
your ad here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aircruiser View Post

Also anyone with tons, picking up a full float 60 rear and 44 front, assuming out of a dodge, 30 spline rear looking to do a 35 spline upgrade, who has some good places to get those kits?

TIA
Dump the 60 rear idea and check out a 14 bolt, those Dodge 60's have small boar spindles and will need to be boar out to a fit a 35 spline 1.5 shaft. A 14 bolt is worlds stronger and much much cheaper in the long run to install.

Jason.

And on the 8th day, God created the 14 bolt....
jason m is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2013, 01:15 PM   #11
RedRyderXJ
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason m

Dump the 60 rear idea and check out a 14 bolt, those Dodge 60's have small boar spindles and will need to be boar out to a fit a 35 spline 1.5 shaft. A 14 bolt is worlds stronger and much much cheaper in the long run to install.

Jason.
Then you can drag it across everything
RedRyderXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2013, 01:25 PM   #12
aircruiser
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason m View Post

Jason.
A couple guys I wheel with run 60 rears with 35 spline shafts and no problems. I will be getting these axles for such a deal I can sell them in the future if I want to for more. Right now I am just looking into options

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRyderXJ View Post
Thats another thing that has driven me away from a 14 bolt is how damn big they are
Unread 04-14-2013, 03:43 PM   #13
jason m
your ad here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRyderXJ View Post
Do you run one or that super tight 60 rear that you speak of? Can you make a honest comparison or just what you here on the internet?

I did for over 8 years and also ran a HP 60 front ( still do ), after I shaved my lips off the 14 bolt I got the same clearance from my 60 front which can't really get shaved.
The op asked whats it going to take a to make a Dodge 60 work with 35 spline shafts, well it will take a crap load more money to get the spindle boars cut, after market shafts new carrier or locker to except the 35 spline shafts. Then after all that it put's the pinion at risk.

So the cheapest way to avoid all that is to run a axle that offers all that beef plus more in one simple package a 14 bolt. Spend 150-200 dollars on a junkyard 14 B or chase that rabbit down the hole on the 60, I can't count how many peaple get into those "cheap" 60 rears only to pass them off and finally get a 14 B.

If anything dump that brand of 60 and get a HD or a U model, at least you can get the 35 spline shafts threw the spindle, but its still going to cost ya 350-400 on shafts alone, where as the 14 bolt you will never nead anything better than factory ones.

But hey what do I know I only ran that axle for 8 years

Jason.

And on the 8th day, God created the 14 bolt....
jason m is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2013, 04:54 PM   #14
RedRyderXJ
1994 XJ Cherokee 

What I hear on the internet?

I dont have a problem with a shave job.
RedRyderXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2013, 05:44 PM   #15
aircruiser
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I wasnt trying to start a flame war like I said, I may end up selling them both, who knows. I am just looking for info on how to convert the D60 to 35 spline and what I can do to an 8 lug 44 to hold up to 38s, locked with light skinny pedal.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.