P1391 after engine overhaul - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Advanced Jeep Tech > P1391 after engine overhaul

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 06-24-2013, 12:53 AM   #1
Serje
1998 WJ 

Wj P1391 after engine overhaul

Hi there,

I faced a problem that MIL lights on my Grand Cherokee WJ 4.7. Self diagnostic shows P1391 - Intermittent Loss Of CMP or CKP. At first I replaced CMP sensor (Mopar), but without any success. After that I used DRBIII tool and observed following: engine runs on idle speed, revs are good according to tachometer (about 650 rpm), but once per about 20 seconds tool shows engine revs 5000-7000 rpm, and CMP/CKP sync fails, then returns to normal state. The same issue is for at least two sensors - Intake Air Temperature and Engine Coolant Temperature (they changes explosively for a moment, e.g. IAT sensor shows -15 instead of +70).

I used oscilloscope and checked for a signal from both CMP and CKP sensors. Here are oscillograms:
ckp_signal_1.jpg
cmp_signal_1.jpg
cmp_signal_2.jpg

Are signals correct? I suppose that CMP's peak down to ground is not quite good. Is it?

It seems timing chain is installed correctly, as engine works good, without loss of power or any additional sounds. My idea is that something is wrong with wiring, but I checked a lot of grounds and connectors and everything is good.

Guys, have you any ideas?

P.S. Sorry, my english is not very well

Last edited by Serje; 06-27-2013 at 01:40 AM..
Serje is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.