Outboarding front springs on a cj - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Advanced Jeep Tech > Outboarding front springs on a cj

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 11-12-2012, 08:58 PM   #16
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatman View Post
Nice work Joe. Cant wait to put in my 60.
Here's some pics of my outboard

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ax.../#post13182273
Thanks.

That's a VERY fine looking CJ you've got there.

Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2012, 06:20 AM   #17
BSInc
1985 CJ7 

I ended up making a new front cross member to tie the frame rails together and give me a little stretch as well.

Just standard RE 4.5" lift springs. work great and ride really nice.
BSInc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2012, 11:54 AM   #18
foggybottombob
1984 CJ7 

I outboarded my CJ7 spring hangars and used a Scout front D44 axle with ford hubs and rotors and Chevy calipers. BUT, if I knew then what I know now I would have just used a 74-77 ford F100/F150 axle and modified the tubes to make it driver drop since that axle is a lot stronger. I plan to do just this in the future and use TJ D44 length axle shafts. The following are the only pics I have for my hangars. I added gussets to the rear brackets. The picture was taken sometime during making the parts.

And I used rear YJ springs at all 4 corners with one '83 S10 blazer leaf in each spring pack. That gave me another 2" lift over the flat stock YJ springs.

foggybottombob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2012, 12:03 PM   #19
mountainman74
1984 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSInc View Post
I ended up making a new front cross member to tie the frame rails together and give me a little stretch as well.

Just standard RE 4.5" lift springs. work great and ride really nice.
Nice looking CJ...haven't seen it around town. I am installing a Dana 60 in the front of mine...but wanna keep it low low low. So looking for springs that will settle flat under the weight of front end. So probably try some used stock yj's.
mountainman74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2012, 12:15 PM   #20
BSInc
1985 CJ7 

Thanks, it's not a DD and kind of a heat magnet so I don't venture out much with it if not headed to a trail! this HP44 came up for sale and I couldn't say no to the price. the stretch along with outboarding made a big difference both on and off road.
BSInc is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.