Orange Peel - Buggy Build - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Advanced Jeep Tech > Orange Peel - Buggy Build

Dana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJClayton Off Road JK Long Arm Upgrade Kits!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-23-2010, 07:48 PM   #91
mferrari
DelmarvaOffroad.com

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I never had the shocks apart when I put them on. Never got around to it during the build and then in the rust to finish didn't have time.

Got the buggy pulled back into the shop today and started on the wiring. Traced what I thought was a fuel pump short to a short in the auto shut off relay. Ran a new wire and she fired right up. Got a little more work to get done it and she will be atleast ready to go this weekend. Going to run with the broken shock filled with ATF and a 231 crawl box in high range for the weekend then tackle those problems when I get back.

Thanks to our Sponsors:
Delmarva Offroad - F-O-A Shocks - BD Turnkey Engine - Under Cover Fab - Jer-C Transmissions - Quigley Driveshafts

Delmarva Offroad
You call it rolling, we call it R&D! 443-951-JEEP
mferrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2010, 01:36 PM   #92
mferrari
DelmarvaOffroad.com

1998 TJ Wrangler 

After heading back up this weekend to run the buggy with it actually working I have to say I am very pleased with it thus far. I took off the cable shifters and made just normal manual shifters for the D300 that work ALOT better.
Suspension seems to cycle very well, I am going to be throwing some lighter springs on top up front. Right now I am running 200/250 and it is just too stiff and gets only about 1" of compression. Going to run a 150 up top and see how that works.
Last weekend we had fluid issues which were thought to be the crawl box. I pulled the drain plug and it was full, but my trans was empty... The rear seal on the trans must be shot and it is pouring fluid out back on any sort of incline. Trans is getting pulled for a manual valve body anyways so the seal will be replaced and the weep hole will be plug and mating surface will be RTV'd just incase. Also have a deep pan ready to go on to help keep it from starving on inclines.
Other than that everything is working well, just going to get some more seat time and practice and we should be ready for Aug.

Here are some pictures from the weekend.

Video from the comp course
YouTube - video-2010-06-26-09-59-05

There is a second part with the drop but need to get John to load it. You can see the trans starving for fluid on the climb up.
Thanks to our Sponsors:
Delmarva Offroad - F-O-A Shocks - BD Turnkey Engine - Under Cover Fab - Jer-C Transmissions - Quigley Driveshafts

Delmarva Offroad
Unread 07-21-2010, 08:40 PM   #93
mferrari
DelmarvaOffroad.com

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Long time with no updates...

Sold the rockers. Running 40" MTRs until I get some stickies. Also finally ordered my second set and rebuild kits for the rear air shocks long with a new body for the scored one. Lastly ordering in some limiting straps for all 4 corners so I need to use the winches to limit and I can finally fully cycle the suspension off road.
This week the t-cases are getting pulled. Need to put a rear seal in the trans along with a deep pan. Then fix the shifter on the crawl box. After that it should be good to go.

Skipping the first RCrocs race so I have a little more time to get it back together and get some good testing in. Next events with the RCrocs Crawling finale on Aug 21 at Rausch Creek ORP.
Thanks to our Sponsors:

Delmarva Offroad
Unread 07-21-2010, 09:54 PM   #94
LGriffith
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Man I would LOVE to, but I leave for college in Utah 3 days before. We went last year and it was a blast, i'm pretty bummed I can't make it this year.
Unread 08-18-2010, 07:24 PM   #95
mferrari
DelmarvaOffroad.com

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Not much for picture updates. Been getting in some last minute prep work for the comp this weekend.

Have new limit straps in all 4 corners. New trans rear seal. Finally got some actual resi mounts for the coil overs. Also have the passenger seat I need to make some mounts for...
Thanks to our Sponsors:

Delmarva Offroad
Unread 08-19-2010, 09:39 PM   #96
mferrari
DelmarvaOffroad.com

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Installed limit straps finally in all four corners:

Also swapped the old driver seat to the passenger side (it was a Baja Ultra wide, and I am not a big guy) then installed a normal Baja Ultra on the driver side. No more redneck buggy with 1 seat haha

Gave all the bolts a once over, cleaned up the buggy a litte bit, made a new spotter strap, and it is about set to go. Going to check all the fluids and top off tomorrow then get it loaded up and head to Rausch Creek.

I've got my Dad meeting me up at Rausch Creek this weekend to see what the sport is all about and way I waste so much money. He is also bringing along a nice camera so I should hopefully have some good shots to share next week.
Thanks to our Sponsors:

Delmarva Offroad
Unread 08-21-2010, 08:18 PM   #97
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Looks good Mike!

I'm looking forward to seeing those good shots of the rig doing its thing
What's a CV shaft and why do I need one?
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
MO2500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2010, 10:02 PM   #98
mferrari
DelmarvaOffroad.com

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Whelp just pulled back into the shop. Had a fun day but didn't go as planned. First course we got hung up real good and had the front driveshaft rubbing hard on a rock then ended up snapping it in half. Second course we ran in just 2wd and managed to get through 2 gates with ALOT of throttle. Third course we had time to weld the front DS up and run in 4wd again. Got through the second gate, while trying to hit the 3rd gate with 20 seconds left I twisted and snapped the rear driveshaft not leaving enough to weld up. Made it to the shoot out and was only running front wheel drive, gave it h*ll trying to get up the first gate's ledge and managed to roll the buggy 3/4's of the way over and lucky stopped before going down a hill.

Got a bunch of pictures so we'll get those up tomorrow or Monday. Here is a teaser shot of the buggy unloaded:
Thanks to our Sponsors:

Delmarva Offroad
Unread 08-22-2010, 10:13 AM   #99
mferrari
DelmarvaOffroad.com

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Had a fun day at the competition but due to some carnage ended the day in 4th. We started on C3, got the first gate and lined her up prefectly to get through. While pushing through dropped of a ledge on the front driveshafts, after some rubbing it gave way and snapped.

Next up was C1 for us. After some confusion we thought we had to run right away with not enough time to really fix the front driveshaft. We can up to the 1st gate on top of a ledge with the rear tires sitting in gravel. Gave a few full throttle attempts to get up, after yelling for my spotter to move gave it one more and made it up! Then we got it lined up enough to get 3 through the 2nd gate but couldn't get around enough to get to the 3rd.

Thanks to our Sponsors:

Delmarva Offroad
Unread 08-22-2010, 10:14 AM   #100
mferrari
DelmarvaOffroad.com

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Last course was C2. Out on the natural terrian we knew we would need 4wd. We welded up the front driveshaft as best as possible (even though it looked like a rainbow). Then got it back on the buggy for course. Made the first gate, decided the best route for the 2nd was to back through the 2nd gate into the bowl to line up for our 3rd gate. Gave the 3rd gate hell for a minute. With 20 seconds to go we tried a full throttle assault again which twisted and snapped the rear driveshaft.

Thanks to our Sponsors:

Delmarva Offroad
Unread 08-22-2010, 10:14 AM   #101
mferrari
DelmarvaOffroad.com

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Next up was the shoot out. There was no way for us to repair the rear driveshaft so we decided to give it hell in front wheel drive with an already damaged driveshaft. Our goal was to get atleast one progression point. First gate was a 3 foot ledge that gave us a some trouble. While attempt to climb up ended up a litte side ways. Trying to reverse out of it, it felt like it was starting to connect but at the same time getting very sideways. Ended rolling 3/4 of the way around. Flipped her over, pulled it out, then drove back to the trailer.

It was a fun and challenging event. For the 3rd time out with the buggy I am very satisfied with its performance. The driveshafts were temp ones made from pieces I had around the shop and hoped to make it until the end of the season. Over the off season we will be re-designing the skid plate, tweak the front suspension a little bit, two piece front driveshaft and new rear shafts, along with some sticky tires. We'll be back and ready for next season in May!
Thanks to our Sponsors:

Delmarva Offroad
Unread 10-11-2010, 10:34 AM   #102
mferrari
DelmarvaOffroad.com

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Stilling beating on it after the season is done. Ran a comp practice Saturday and some more trails on Sunday.

Only one picture for now.

This winter I am tearing it down again. Going to be shortening the wheelbase to about 104" (currently 110). Decided I would rather not do too much of the racing, and stick to the competitions for now. Will be boat siding the sides of the buggy. Only sheet metal to be left is the cowl, hood, and grill.
Thanks to our Sponsors:

Delmarva Offroad
Unread 11-25-2010, 09:01 PM   #103
crem
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Beautiful work.

Crawled.
crem is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2010, 11:36 AM   #104
mferrari
DelmarvaOffroad.com

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks, I will have some good updates shortly! Working on sealing the deal on a sponsorship that will greatly help our suspension!
Thanks to our Sponsors:

Delmarva Offroad
Unread 11-26-2010, 08:24 PM   #105
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mferrari View Post
Thanks, I will have some good updates shortly! Working on sealing the deal on a sponsorship that will greatly help our suspension!
ooooo, sounds like a sweet deal Can't wait to see who this sponsor is.
What's a CV shaft and why do I need one?
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
MO2500 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.