Orange Peel - Buggy Build - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Advanced Jeep Tech > Orange Peel - Buggy Build

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 05-15-2010, 09:32 PM   #76
mferrari
DelmarvaOffroad.com

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Getting lazy on the pictures now but the front end of the frame is done now. Got the steering resi mount done. Getting started on the plumbing for the steering, but definately going to need to pick up some more hose.

Frame painted:

Resi mount:

New oil filter mount that I have an extra temp and pressure sender on.

Thanks to our Sponsors:
Delmarva Offroad - F-O-A Shocks - BD Turnkey Engine - Under Cover Fab - Jer-C Transmissions - Quigley Driveshafts

Delmarva Offroad
You call it rolling, we call it R&D! 443-951-JEEP
mferrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2010, 09:53 PM   #77
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mferrari View Post
I don't know if i missed it or not but did you build some kind of cross brace between the two front shock hoops to add support to the shock mount?
What's a CV shaft and why do I need one?
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
MO2500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2010, 10:11 PM   #78
mferrari
DelmarvaOffroad.com

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah, I just don't have pictures of it on there. You can see the tabs above the hoops, I just have the bar removed for painting.
Thanks to our Sponsors:
Delmarva Offroad - F-O-A Shocks - BD Turnkey Engine - Under Cover Fab - Jer-C Transmissions - Quigley Driveshafts

Delmarva Offroad
Unread 05-29-2010, 09:33 PM   #79
mferrari
DelmarvaOffroad.com

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Got it back on the lift to get the buggy finished up

Just so random pictures of how it sits right now.

Engine cage/coilover supports. Also got the steering plumbed.

Bump stops:

Full droop:

Thanks to our Sponsors:

Delmarva Offroad
Unread 05-29-2010, 10:19 PM   #80
mferrari
DelmarvaOffroad.com

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Man I have more wheels and tires floating around in my shop than I can use in a year. Going to be playing musical tires shortly since I need to put the 285 BFGs back on the dodge for the gooseneck.
Thanks to our Sponsors:

Delmarva Offroad
Unread 06-11-2010, 07:17 AM   #81
mferrari
DelmarvaOffroad.com

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Shocks are filled, I think the rear may go an inch higher:

Rear suck down winch mount is done:

Harness bar and cage gussets on:

Attempted to cycle the suspension:

Brakes are getting plumbed today. Steering will be finished up. Going to also attempt some driveshafts and then she should be good to roll. Then make a basic switch panel for now to get her started. Still need the skid plate done and a few other odds and ends.

Also got this bugger I have been beating on while the buggy sits

XJ on a hp44 front and 60 rear. Will be sold now that the buggy is about done.
Thanks to our Sponsors:

Delmarva Offroad
Unread 06-12-2010, 07:55 AM   #82
mferrari
DelmarvaOffroad.com

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Decided not to plumb the brakes yesterday. Instead I ordered two nylon brake line kits from speedway (just so I have enough as well as spares for the trail). Should make plumbing a bit easier and allow me to snake the lines down control arms like you would an ARB line.

Temp front driveshaft is made but will need to be redone for sure as it is bent and unbalanced. Going to finish filling the coolant today (got started then the woman said it was time to come inside...). Also get some wiring for siwtches and gauges started on the buggy.

Tomorrow I am trading that XJ for CJ7 so I can have another street Jeep
Thanks to our Sponsors:

Delmarva Offroad
Unread 06-14-2010, 07:45 PM   #83
mferrari
DelmarvaOffroad.com

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Anyone happen to know what needs power in order to run a 98 4.0L?
I've pulled what looks to be the Hot, Run, and Starter wires from the old ign switch plug. I have the follow:
Red= Hot
Run= Pink/Black
Starter= Yellow

The problem right now is the Hot (red) is not hot.
If I run my own hot, it does not trigger the fuel pump which would normally be triggered on the run position. Also if the ign switch is pressed (so it now becomes hot) there is still no power into the relay.

I do know I have a good battery and it is capable of cranking the engine as I could manually add a hot to the start soleniod and have it turn the engine over (but no spark).
Thanks to our Sponsors:

Delmarva Offroad
Unread 06-15-2010, 04:50 PM   #84
mferrari
DelmarvaOffroad.com

1998 TJ Wrangler 

She runs and steering works after I switched the lines around since I plumbed them wrong...
Thanks to our Sponsors:

Delmarva Offroad
Unread 06-16-2010, 06:33 PM   #85
mferrari
DelmarvaOffroad.com

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Rear axles and brakes are assembled. Just need to finish plumbing them. Winch came in for the front and along with the last 1310-1350 conversion joint for the rear shaft. Should be the last of the parts I need to get it moving for the weekend (minus u-bolts for the 1350 yoke)

Also hooked up the cable shifters on the D300. Think I am going to just run the 231 crawl box locked in low for the weekend and worry about a shifter cable mount later.

Goal for tonight, get all brake **** finished. Fill fluids, drive it in fwd to see how she rides, and atleast start on the skid plate tongiht.

Rest **** to do before the weekend:
Rear brake lines with line lock
Wire guages
Make rear driveshaft
make skid
exhaust
mount winch up front
mount winch in rear
aux fan wiring
lock tight and check all suspension bolts
fill tcases, axles, trans

There is the temp dash until I get the interior worked out

Rear brakes
Thanks to our Sponsors:

Delmarva Offroad
Unread 06-17-2010, 07:03 PM   #86
mferrari
DelmarvaOffroad.com

1998 TJ Wrangler 

She runs and drives great. Managed to snap a cable for the cable shifters, need to do something about that right now. Just got back from a buddys shop to bend out a exhaust pipe. Only thing left in the skid plate which I am going to do right now.
Thanks to our Sponsors:

Delmarva Offroad
Unread 06-19-2010, 08:00 PM   #87
mferrari
DelmarvaOffroad.com

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Just something different...

Just got back from RCrocs out at Rausch Creek. Needless to say it was very eventful...
Friday I finished laying the last bead on the buggy about 6am. Packed and left. Got up about 3pm, my spotter and I wanted to try and run some various lines to test buggy. It was a damn good thing too. Started with something inside of the crawl box popped and lost low range in it. Also started to leak fluid from it. Got her in high and went on with the testing. Second course we ran, the driver rear air shock siezed. Went back to the trailer, took of the shock and ripped it open. Shards of metal were inside and the shaft, seal, and body were all scored up. It was about 6pm and no shock oil on the truck, and no stores open to get it. Decided to run some ATF inside since it is thicker, maybe it would not leaked out. Filled it some, added nitrogen and it worked.
Ran a few more lines and called it quits for the day.
Tech'd in morning, refilled nitrogen in the shock since it leaked out over night and then she was ready to roll.
First course, we ****ed up. Being the first comp both my spotter and I have ran we didn't take time and did not communicate enough. Took 2 cones, then tapped a 3rd. On the drop, used too much throttle and hit the finish gate cone and we pointed out.
Second course, we high centered on the first gate. Got it down then tried to throttle over again. Land hard enough to cut power on the buggy. While we worked to get it back started, the broken crawl box decided to leak fluid. Got the buggy down to stop the leak, tried again then lost the fuel pump. 40'd out and ended our day. Pump was shorting out and was unable to find the problem.

Going to tear it down and fix everything this week. Next weekend we are heading back out for some trail riding and more test and tuning.

Here a just a few pictures I got Friday:

Thanks to our Sponsors:

Delmarva Offroad
Unread 06-19-2010, 08:06 PM   #88
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Man thats rough. I guess with anything custom, there will always be a few bugs to be worked out before everything goes smoothly

What do you think happened with the air shock? not much time on it to be filled with shards of metal. I don't know much about the mechanics of them but it doesn't sound normal lol
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
Unread 06-19-2010, 08:57 PM   #89
mferrari
DelmarvaOffroad.com

1998 TJ Wrangler 

The air shocks we second hand so I am assuming something was inside which caused a chain reaction.

Hoping a new body and seals will fix it. Coilovers were planned for the winter but may look into them now.
Thanks to our Sponsors:

Delmarva Offroad
Unread 06-19-2010, 09:04 PM   #90
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mferrari View Post
The air shocks we second hand so I am assuming something was inside which caused a chain reaction.

Hoping a new body and seals will fix it. Coilovers were planned for the winter but may look into them now.
I wasn't sure if you bought them new or used. Could they have already been scored and messed up when you bought them or have you had them apart when building the buggy?
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.