Orange Peel - Buggy Build - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Advanced Jeep Tech > Orange Peel - Buggy Build

USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all JKS Products @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 03-19-2010, 10:51 AM   #46
mferrari
DelmarvaOffroad.com

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Here are a few pictures now that I've got some sleep.

Picking it up

Chassis's approval

Making Jeff and troy work

Bleeding the lines

Finally it works

Big thanks to Jeff and troy for lending a hand late at night / early morning.

Thanks to our Sponsors:
Delmarva Offroad - F-O-A Shocks - BD Turnkey Engine - Under Cover Fab - Jer-C Transmissions - Quigley Driveshafts

Delmarva Offroad
You call it rolling, we call it R&D! 443-951-JEEP
mferrari is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2010, 03:53 PM   #47
mferrari
DelmarvaOffroad.com

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Sneak preview:

Also going to be purchasing a CNC plasma system this week so the buggy is on hold for new parts.
Thanks to our Sponsors:
Delmarva Offroad - F-O-A Shocks - BD Turnkey Engine - Under Cover Fab - Jer-C Transmissions - Quigley Driveshafts

Delmarva Offroad
Unread 03-30-2010, 05:46 PM   #48
mferrari
DelmarvaOffroad.com

1998 TJ Wrangler 

So the first comp is May 1st.... I need to start busting my *** to get this thing done!

Today I got the axles placed under the chassis. Wheelbase is mocked up. Front is sitting at full bump, rear is about 2" below full bump right now. Also started to burn the link mounts. Hoping that by the end of the week the links will be done and on the chassis. Air shocks should be ordered this week as well. Shooting for 16" in the front, 18" in the rear.

On to some pictures.
Front end:

Rear End:

Pile of link mounts:

1.25" Heims for lowers:

7/8s heims for uppers (also a few 3/4 for the tracbar)

And the craziness going on in the small shop right now keeping me from getting my own crap done:

That's all for now, may have more later.
Thanks to our Sponsors:

Delmarva Offroad
Unread 03-30-2010, 07:36 PM   #49
mferrari
DelmarvaOffroad.com

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO2500 View Post
Lookin good Can't wait to see it with the suspension all set up

I don't know how the heck you fit 3 jeeps in the shop
I had the truck in there the other day too so I could put the stack and 35s back on

Reading up on brake stuff, I have decided to ditch the stock system all together. Going to run CNC dual MCs with dual brake levers. This way I can use the brake pedals individually for my cutting brakes. It will free up space and hands which will hopefully make it easier for me during comps.

Going to eat some dinner and head back out and weld up some of the tubing on the chassis. Should start burning mounts on the frame and axle in the next two days if all goes well.
Thanks to our Sponsors:

Delmarva Offroad
Unread 03-30-2010, 10:52 PM   #50
mferrari
DelmarvaOffroad.com

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Went back out. Rear half the chassis is all welded up. Just need to weld the pass part of the cage but going to wait to get the seats in final before that happens.

Also made the truss for 14bolt. Used two pieces of scrap 1.75" .120 wall DOM that had the same bends, then sleeve the straight part with 1.5" .250 wall. Once I weld it on the axle I will add in gussets and extra supports.

Thanks to our Sponsors:

Delmarva Offroad
Unread 04-03-2010, 09:46 PM   #51
mferrari
DelmarvaOffroad.com

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah I need to load pictures but I got a little done today. Got the rear lower link mounts tacked in. Truss is burned in too. Tomorrow I should finish up the rear and get most, if not all the front done.
Thanks to our Sponsors:

Delmarva Offroad
Unread 04-04-2010, 10:10 PM   #52
mferrari
DelmarvaOffroad.com

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Well today was ****ty... Started to work on the buggy again and then 3 hours into it I run out of wire for the welder. Then of course it is Easter so no one local is open for more.

Got the rear close to done. The upper mounts are on. Started to make the control arms when the wire ran out.

Some pictures.
Upper Mounts

Mock up links

Making of the rear lower arms. Using 2" .250 wall DOM. Bushings on the frame end, 1.25" heims on the axle end.
Bushing end:

Adding some extra bracing:

As far as I got when the welder died

Thanks to our Sponsors:

Delmarva Offroad
Unread 04-05-2010, 11:27 AM   #53
mferrari
DelmarvaOffroad.com

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Picture Kelly took while I was welding up the truss that I thought was pretty cool:

Picked up more wire this morning (and almost bought a new welder haha). Then finished welding the lower arms for the rear.

Gotta work on some customer vehicles for a while today then back to work on mine junk later.
Thanks to our Sponsors:

Delmarva Offroad
Unread 04-08-2010, 10:22 PM   #54
mferrari
DelmarvaOffroad.com

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Rear links are done.

Air shocks for the rear are coming. Coil overs for the front should be going out tomorrow. Dual master cylinders are in the mail. Deep trans pan arrived the other day.

Left to order:
Crawl Box
Hydro Steering kit
Steering shaft, steering wheel, disconnect
Driveshafts
Shifters
1 more seat

Oh and Kelly came to play:
Thanks to our Sponsors:

Delmarva Offroad
Unread 04-10-2010, 10:56 PM   #55
mferrari
DelmarvaOffroad.com

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Ok got a little bit done, and then kind of paused to brain storm tonight (see a few lines down).

Started with finally bolting up the rear links and just sample cycling the suspension.

Here is about where I wanted full bump. Lowers just hit the frame rail, uppers rub the tub.

Most likely going to make a crossmember and have bump stops hit on the side of the truss.

Then this happened:

Some fun with the plasma

And now is where I have some issues...
Not sure how I am going to work steering and the pan hard bar.

This where I wanted full bump. Was going to run the arms for the full hydro on the lower side of the high steer arms:

I could run my pan hard mount angled down like so. I would also need to angle the pan hard more towards the front of the chassis on the driver side frame mount:
Thanks to our Sponsors:

Delmarva Offroad
Unread 04-11-2010, 08:36 PM   #56
mferrari
DelmarvaOffroad.com

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Front links are do. Still need to address the steering and pan hard bar though. I think the pan hard is going to go straight above the axle and notch the frame a little bit. Steering will be mounted on the lower factory knuckles.

Anyways some pictures.
Messing **** up:

Lowers:

Upper:

Rig at full bump:

More of Kelly
OSHA approved

Thanks to our Sponsors:

Delmarva Offroad
Unread 04-11-2010, 08:40 PM   #57
TYphoonXJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I love your life.
Unread 04-12-2010, 08:45 AM   #58
mferrari
DelmarvaOffroad.com

1998 TJ Wrangler 

It's a tough life haha.
Thanks to our Sponsors:

Delmarva Offroad
Unread 04-12-2010, 08:56 AM   #59
amike_321
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I would almost bet that a hot spark to the leg is better than a hot spark down the shirt!

I saw a gal at the shooting range lose her shirt like nobodies business when a hot piece of brass went down her shirt! The guys didn't complain
amike_321 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2010, 02:09 PM   #60
mferrari
DelmarvaOffroad.com

1998 TJ Wrangler 

PSC full hydro is ordered. Crawl box is ordered. Might go ahead and order the shifters right now as well.

Coilovers will be here Friday. Springs should be here Thurs. Air shocks should be here by Thurs. CNC dual masters showed up today!

Going to bend the pedal levers closer together. Also going to drill a hole in both levers and use a cotter pin to make it a single pedal for basic trail riding, WErock, and any street driving.
Thanks to our Sponsors:

Delmarva Offroad

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.