Orange Peel - Buggy Build - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Advanced Jeep Tech > Orange Peel - Buggy Build

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 01-31-2010, 09:49 PM   #31
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mferrari View Post
Picked up the new axles today. GM 60 and 14B. Both 4.56s, spool front, detroit rear. Chromoly shafts and drive slugs up front arleady too. I'll have some updates shortly but right now dealing with over a foot of snow in a town that is lucky to get 3" a year...
Haha tell me about it Salisbury is not prepared for this kind of stuff lol

Axles sound pretty well loaded. You going to leave the spool in the front or replace it with a selectable?

What's a CV shaft and why do I need one?
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
MO2500 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2010, 10:47 PM   #32
mferrari
DelmarvaOffroad.com

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Right now I am going to keep the spool up front. I am going to test run the buggy with the 4.56s and the crawl box to see how it goes. If it goes well I will be adding an ARB front and rear with the 4.56s. If I want to go higher or lower then I will get new gears and do the ARBs with them...

Aka I only feel like setting up gears once so for now a spool. Mid summer before the first race it will have ARBs.
Thanks to our Sponsors:
Delmarva Offroad - F-O-A Shocks - BD Turnkey Engine - Under Cover Fab - Jer-C Transmissions - Quigley Driveshafts

Delmarva Offroad
You call it rolling, we call it R&D! 443-951-JEEP
mferrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2010, 05:40 AM   #33
gebirgziege
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Are you feeding hard wire through your welder or flux core?

what is your sheidling gas? 75/25 mix?
gebirgziege is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2010, 08:10 AM   #34
mferrari
DelmarvaOffroad.com

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Solid wire and yes using C25.
Thanks to our Sponsors:
Delmarva Offroad - F-O-A Shocks - BD Turnkey Engine - Under Cover Fab - Jer-C Transmissions - Quigley Driveshafts

Delmarva Offroad
Unread 03-07-2010, 12:50 PM   #35
mferrari
DelmarvaOffroad.com

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO2500 View Post
Any updates on this?
Absolutely none haha

Had been jammed up with snow removal for those few weeks as well as some other jobs after the snow was done. Finally getting back into the mix of things. Have about $1,300 in brackets, joints, and everything for the suspension coming in this week. This thing should be pretty bullet proof once everything is up and running.

Might have some updates tonight depending how much work I get done.
Thanks to our Sponsors:

Delmarva Offroad
Unread 03-07-2010, 05:41 PM   #36
mferrari
DelmarvaOffroad.com

1998 TJ Wrangler 

May sell the chassis to build a single seat moon buggy.
Thanks to our Sponsors:

Delmarva Offroad
Unread 03-08-2010, 09:47 PM   #37
mferrari
DelmarvaOffroad.com

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Had an interesting night in the shop...

Start to work on stripping and cleaning up the axles.

Then while using the plasma cutter to cut off the old brackets, a spark hit a drip pan that had some brake cleaner sitting on top.

So I decided that would be a good place to end for the day haha

Thanks to our Sponsors:

Delmarva Offroad
Unread 03-13-2010, 10:05 PM   #38
mferrari
DelmarvaOffroad.com

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Whelp still alive so i guess fire and brake clean didn't kill me. (I use non Chlorine anyways).

Picked up some H2 wheels today. Mounted two on the tires to get a rough idea for the wheel base and ride heights to start working on the suspension.

This should be the wheelbase (105"). The rear will most likely sit about 2" lower and the front maybe an 1" lower but need to check clearance with the hood first.

Just a couple shots of the axles too. 14 bolt just needs to be ground down and front hasn't really been touched yet.

Thanks to our Sponsors:

Delmarva Offroad
Unread 03-15-2010, 08:59 PM   #39
mferrari
DelmarvaOffroad.com

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Think I need to replace my wheel bearings haha

Got the front end ripped apart today.

Rear is ready to start mocking up
Thanks to our Sponsors:

Delmarva Offroad
Unread 03-15-2010, 10:48 PM   #40
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Lookin good man definitely starting to take shape with the cage and tire's in place

I see you now have a passenger drop D60 to resolve the front driveshaft issues. You still going to run the 231 crawl box/ D300 setup?
What's a CV shaft and why do I need one?
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
MO2500 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2010, 11:37 PM   #41
mferrari
DelmarvaOffroad.com

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah, still going to run the D300 and a a 231 crawl box (which reminds me I need to order the plate and shaft for it).

Didn't get much today, been pretty slammed in the shop. Got the hub and spindle off. This side actually had decent bearings. All the bears are getting replaced though. Pass side u-joint had a broken cap. May try the 300M joints out since I'm going to be replacing them. Also had chunky gear fluid

Some pictures because I am a picture whore

1 ton shelf

I spy more orange!

D30 next 35 spline D60
Thanks to our Sponsors:

Delmarva Offroad
Unread 03-17-2010, 12:23 AM   #42
mferrari
DelmarvaOffroad.com

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I'll have to snap a picture of a 60 or 14b carrier next to a D30 too. I have a D30 in the shop I can re-gearing and it looks like a childs toy next to the 1 tons.
Thanks to our Sponsors:

Delmarva Offroad
Unread 03-17-2010, 12:26 AM   #43
mferrari
DelmarvaOffroad.com

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Here is why nothing is getting done to the buggy too...

D30 for a rebuild. Ford 9" to setup for an XJ. A TJ in the shop for suspension work as well as an SYE. Just got one in and out today for pinion bearing replacement. Then there is another one waiting for an SYE and 4.10s in the front to match the 8.8... Needless to say, I've been swamped in a 1 person shop. Still have 3 more guys waiting to get their rigs in as well.
Thanks to our Sponsors:

Delmarva Offroad
Unread 03-17-2010, 10:56 AM   #44
mferrari
DelmarvaOffroad.com

1998 TJ Wrangler 

So much for buggy money... Just bought one of these guys:

Getting a rush shipment as well so I can have it in by Monday. It just became too much of a pain in the rear to get axle work done with the rigs on the ground or having to remove axles...

Brackets for all my links should be done today. Also got all my new wheel bearings in as well as brakes for the front end. Rear brakes will be in tomorrow. Should start marking the suspension next week if time allows.
Thanks to our Sponsors:

Delmarva Offroad
Unread 03-19-2010, 12:36 AM   #45
mferrari
DelmarvaOffroad.com

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Just finished installing it!
Thanks to our Sponsors:

Delmarva Offroad

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.