Orange Peel - Buggy Build - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Advanced Jeep Tech > Orange Peel - Buggy Build

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 01-17-2010, 03:43 PM   #16
mferrari
DelmarvaOffroad.com

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_G View Post
what did you do with the old cage?
Sitting in front of shop... Prob going to scrap since there was no interest in it.

Haven't been working on it too much lately. Going to put in a few hours on Tues so I'll hopefully get some new pics then for everyone.

Ordering my crawl box piece from Duffy this week. Going to start laying out axles and suspension shortly too.

Thanks to our Sponsors:
Delmarva Offroad - F-O-A Shocks - BD Turnkey Engine - Under Cover Fab - Jer-C Transmissions - Quigley Driveshafts

Delmarva Offroad
You call it rolling, we call it R&D! 443-951-JEEP
mferrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2010, 09:41 PM   #17
mferrari
DelmarvaOffroad.com

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Worked on it a little bit today.

Got the axles mocked into place for a 104" WB.

My front D60 has a truss with TJ brackets on it (decided to change plans and build the buggy) so I was hoping I could knock off one upper and reposition the other to make it work but it seems the truss is just too big for the front right now. At ride height I want the axle about 3" higher than it is now and you can see I will have clearance issues with the belts trac-bar...
Belt

Pass Side

Driver Side

Bent some more for the rear:

Thanks to our Sponsors:
Delmarva Offroad - F-O-A Shocks - BD Turnkey Engine - Under Cover Fab - Jer-C Transmissions - Quigley Driveshafts

Delmarva Offroad
Unread 01-19-2010, 09:45 PM   #18
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Looks good with the tires in place is the tub sitting close to ride height in those pics? also what wheels are you thinking of going with?
What's a CV shaft and why do I need one?
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
MO2500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2010, 09:57 PM   #19
mferrari
DelmarvaOffroad.com

1998 TJ Wrangler 

The buggy should sit about 3" lower at ride height if all pans out to plan.

For wheels I am going to just be getting some el-cheapo steel wheels and making some beadlocks.
Thanks to our Sponsors:

Delmarva Offroad
Unread 01-20-2010, 01:49 PM   #20
mferrari
DelmarvaOffroad.com

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianTJguy View Post
Updates?updates?
It's my birthday so depending how much I drink will depend if I get any work done tonight

As for the bender... Since I am ProBender and ProTools dealer I must brag. I am using the Pro Bender full hydro vertical bender. By far the most effortless bender I have used and uses Pro Tool dies. All the tube bent so far is with a Pro Tools 240* 6" radius die which will allow you to a bend full 180*.
Thanks to our Sponsors:

Delmarva Offroad
Unread 01-22-2010, 08:43 PM   #21
mferrari
DelmarvaOffroad.com

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the comments all.

I got about 3 hours of work on it today. Tomorrow I am selling the HP60 with the truss. I figured it was going to be worth it to sell that to someone running a TJ suspension rather than cut the truss off and waste it. Going to search for another, may do drive or passenger drop since I am using a D300.

Whelp, here are a few pictures to tide everyone over for now.

Stance from the front:

Some notches:
Thanks to our Sponsors:

Delmarva Offroad
Unread 01-23-2010, 08:55 AM   #22
NEPAjeep02

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Are you going to be putting tubing in the center of the windshield? Is the cage done?

1974 Dodge Powerwagon W200 (Beater)- D44 front(4.10), D60 rear(4.10), 318 V8, NP435, NP205 NP203 Doubler. STOLEN

1980 CJ-5 - Parting out. Let me know if you need anything.

1983 VW Rabbit GTI - 2.0 ABA swap, etc.
1998 VW Jetta GT - Parts car
NEPAjeep02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2010, 08:06 PM   #23
mferrari
DelmarvaOffroad.com

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEPAjeep02 View Post
Are you going to be putting tubing in the center of the windshield? Is the cage done?
Yes and no where close. Still alot of tubing left to bend and add in.
This was my rough idea (not including kidney bars either).

Today I sold the HP60. Going to be looking for another so I should have the replacement shortly.
Thanks to our Sponsors:

Delmarva Offroad
Unread 01-24-2010, 07:13 PM   #24
mferrari
DelmarvaOffroad.com

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Got a little bit more done today. Chassis is almost done except for some little bracing and gussets and the kidney bars.

Thanks to our Sponsors:

Delmarva Offroad
Unread 01-24-2010, 07:45 PM   #25
NEPAjeep02

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Looks like you're going a little different route on the frame. I like it though. Can you take a pic of how it's tied into the frame? I've heard of people using poly bushings.

1974 Dodge Powerwagon W200 (Beater)- D44 front(4.10), D60 rear(4.10), 318 V8, NP435, NP205 NP203 Doubler. STOLEN

1980 CJ-5 - Parting out. Let me know if you need anything.

1983 VW Rabbit GTI - 2.0 ABA swap, etc.
1998 VW Jetta GT - Parts car
NEPAjeep02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2010, 07:53 PM   #26
mferrari
DelmarvaOffroad.com

1998 TJ Wrangler 

This is all tied directly into whats left on the factory frame since it will pretty much be a uni-body buggy. On the cages I do in the shop though you use floor plates and then on the underside plates with a bushing and frame tie in.
Thanks to our Sponsors:

Delmarva Offroad
Unread 01-24-2010, 08:16 PM   #27
mferrari
DelmarvaOffroad.com

1998 TJ Wrangler 

This is a picture I found of a mock up from the Scrambler cage I had in the show. This is out floor plate and on the underside I have another plate and a bushing with two tabs mounted then a tube to the frame.

(edit: the plate is the flat portion but I tacked on the small tab for our ground clamp on the welder)

Some people say a bushing isn't needed, but others complain of vibrations w/o bushings. I normally do them unless the customer doesn't need them. If you need plates of bushings let me know.
Thanks to our Sponsors:

Delmarva Offroad
Unread 01-24-2010, 09:28 PM   #28
mferrari
DelmarvaOffroad.com

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I am going to pick up some CUCV axles locally. With the budget being eaten up fairly quickly I am going to run them with the 4.56s. Hoping that the 4.56s along with the 231 crawl box and D300 should be low enough for a while (may actually like it if I get into racing).

Once I pick them I will start on the suspension and hopefully finish up for a test run in March.
Thanks to our Sponsors:

Delmarva Offroad
Unread 01-28-2010, 10:01 PM   #29
mferrari
DelmarvaOffroad.com

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Been a lazy week for the buggy. No work on it this week. Sunday I am picking up the new axles so going to spend a couple days working on them. Then the suspension fun starts!

Also working on possibly picking up some 37" red label Krawlers and ditching the Rockers. The Rockers are just HUGE and wide and I feel as if it will take some of the fun out of wheeling...
Thanks to our Sponsors:

Delmarva Offroad
Unread 01-31-2010, 03:22 PM   #30
mferrari
DelmarvaOffroad.com

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Picked up the new axles today. GM 60 and 14B. Both 4.56s, spool front, detroit rear. Chromoly shafts and drive slugs up front arleady too. I'll have some updates shortly but right now dealing with over a foot of snow in a town that is lucky to get 3" a year...
Thanks to our Sponsors:

Delmarva Offroad

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.