Orange Peel - Buggy Build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Advanced Jeep Tech > Orange Peel - Buggy Build

Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 12-30-2009, 11:03 PM   #1
mferrari
DelmarvaOffroad.com

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Delmarva Offroad - Orange Peel - TJ Buggy Build

2011 SEASON REBUILD STARTS ON PAGE 9

Figured it deserved its own thread... Here is the old thread of how I got to this point from a bone stock Jeep in 4 years I think.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/sl...-build-540449/

Here is what I am starting with. 98 TJ. Stretched 2 inches, 44 and 30. Teralow. Locked Front and Rear with 36" iroks. 2" of lift in the front, no lift in the rear.

The build...
Double triangulated 4 link rear, 3 link w/ pan hard front. HP60, 14B. 5.38s. D300. 39.5" Rockers. Tube from the seats back and from the motor mounts forward.

Started with hacking the tub:

Lost the little axles:

HP60 with the truss on it:

Started to shave the bottom of the 14b:

Axles waiting:

Plasma cutter came in so I began chopping the frame:

Tubing arrived:

Took the "body" off to start on a tranny mount and finish cutting and capping the frame rails:

Capped the frame, then put the body back on to get final measurements for the chassis:

Start of the layout on the new chassis:

And that is where I leave you today. Tomorrow I need to finish the tranny mount, then going to start bending for the chassis!

Thanks to our Sponsors:
Delmarva Offroad - F-O-A Shocks - BD Turnkey Engine - Under Cover Fab - Jer-C Transmissions - Quigley Driveshafts

Delmarva Offroad
You call it rolling, we call it R&D! 443-951-JEEP
mferrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2009, 11:20 PM   #2
mferrari
DelmarvaOffroad.com

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks, sorry for the mess in the shop. Working on a cage for one customer and axles for another along with my personal buggy. I need a bigger shop
Thanks to our Sponsors:
Delmarva Offroad - F-O-A Shocks - BD Turnkey Engine - Under Cover Fab - Jer-C Transmissions - Quigley Driveshafts

Delmarva Offroad
Unread 12-31-2009, 01:44 AM   #3
rs4race
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I finally get to see the beginning of one of these builds! One question tho. Why hack up everything? Looks like you have tons of material, besides the body why not make a new frame that you can bolt the body to?

Its just something Ive always wondered with these builds.
rs4race is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2009, 08:21 AM   #4
00jeepsahara
2000 TJ Wrangler 

nice build. Like the new cage design. What are you planning for suspension?
Are you also using the stock d300 casing? Have you looked into STAKs replace a case. Works great when your flipping a 300.
17" Allied Beadlocks
D60/14BFF
00jeepsahara is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2009, 09:51 AM   #5
mferrari
DelmarvaOffroad.com

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs4race View Post
I finally get to see the beginning of one of these builds! One question tho. Why hack up everything? Looks like you have tons of material, besides the body why not make a new frame that you can bolt the body to?

Its just something Ive always wondered with these builds.
Originally I was planning on using more of the tub than I am going to end up using so I just decided to cut it all up. I also was thinking about selling the Jeep as a whole and starting from scratch but there was no way with the economy the way it is that the Jeep would have sold so I parted out what I wasn't using. Since I had the frame it made an easy starting point to work with. Plus now I can still say it's a Jeep
Thanks to our Sponsors:

Delmarva Offroad
Unread 12-31-2009, 09:54 AM   #6
mferrari
DelmarvaOffroad.com

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00jeepsahara View Post
nice build. Like the new cage design. What are you planning for suspension?
Are you also using the stock d300 casing? Have you looked into STAKs replace a case. Works great when your flipping a 300.
Suspension will be double triangulated 4 link in the rear. Front will be a 3 link w/ pan hard (not going full hydro at this time). Both should sit on 14" air shocks but waiting to get the chassis sqaured away before I order them.

Right now I am still deciding on using the stock casting or using a Stak case for it. I am more leaning towards using the stock case because within a year or 2 I want to get a 3 speed case.

Going out to the shop to finish up some axles for a customer and then gonna spend osme time and start on the chassis today.
Thanks to our Sponsors:

Delmarva Offroad
Unread 01-01-2010, 10:06 PM   #7
mferrari
DelmarvaOffroad.com

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Spent some time today trying to figure out what to do with this D300. I broke out the bandsaw and cut down the old shifter crap:

Ok so now that made a little more clearance for the mount. But the next problem... The driveshaft and shifters. Looks like I am going to need a 2 piece shaft to fit around the transmission. Also may run into some trouble with clearance for the shifter but I may be able to work around that...

Shifter clearance:

Top View:

Back w/ "driveshaft":

Also while I had the D300 apart, I decided to grind the shift rail to allow me to use 2wd High in the Front with the rear in N.
Before (Marker is where you grind to):

Afer:

Also bent the first tubes for the chassis... The slider pieces to weld on the frame that will run right along the tub line.
Thanks to our Sponsors:

Delmarva Offroad
Unread 01-01-2010, 10:57 PM   #8
mferrari
DelmarvaOffroad.com

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the comments, feel free to ask questions on here as well and I can answer stuff as I go along.

As for the shop it our new 30x30 I just built a couple months ago but already way too small... And the fancy fab stuff? The basics; welders, plasma, bender, notcher, grinders, torches, myself

Most of the chassis is going to be on hold until I can get the the t-case and driveshaft sqaured away. Its alot easier to work on it right now with the body off, but I need to put the body back on to get the chassis fitted in and welded up.

I'm on the search for a Yota 2-piece shaft right now. Once I find that I am going to finish the mock up on the tcase and all. Should end up similar to this:
Thanks to our Sponsors:

Delmarva Offroad
Unread 01-06-2010, 06:39 PM   #9
mferrari
DelmarvaOffroad.com

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Progress is going slow right now... I have one jeep in our shop for a cage we are working on now. Custom CJ8 Cage to work with the half top:

Then have another Jeep coming in for gears, and a JK to fab up some rocker guards...

Going to be ordering a crawl box kit to convert an old 231 I have. Going to run it with the D300 and a 2 piece shaft and that should be get the tcase taken care of.
Thanks to our Sponsors:

Delmarva Offroad
Unread 01-11-2010, 08:23 PM   #10
mferrari
DelmarvaOffroad.com

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Got a little but of time today work on it. Got the side rocker tubes burned in. Added two gussests, one of which will be the A pillar tie in. Also got the tranny mount burned in. Then laid the whats left of the tub back on for the last time. Tomorrow going to start bending some tube of the chassis.

Tranny mount:

Whats left of the tub that I am using

Clearance with the tranny and flat belly

Thanks to our Sponsors:

Delmarva Offroad
Unread 01-11-2010, 09:01 PM   #11
LGriffith
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Why not put some boatsides on it? Especially with how beat up your rockers are already?
Unread 01-11-2010, 09:04 PM   #12
mferrari
DelmarvaOffroad.com

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I was going to boat side it but wanted to try to keep some of the factory tub on it just so I can say its a Jeep.
Thanks to our Sponsors:

Delmarva Offroad
Unread 01-11-2010, 09:31 PM   #13
mferrari
DelmarvaOffroad.com

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the comments all

I am not trying to rush the build, but I may end up trying to get it done for a little shake down run on Feb 20th. We'll see if I can pull everything together by then.
Thanks to our Sponsors:

Delmarva Offroad
Unread 01-12-2010, 08:00 PM   #14
mferrari
DelmarvaOffroad.com

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJQ View Post
I enjoyed your other thread. I'm looking forward to this one.

Question about your trans mount. Does it bolt directly to the trans and vibrations are now absorbed through the 2 bushings on the ends?
It is mounted with a bushing on each side then those bushings bolt to the frame. This style of mount is questionable because some say it doesn't offer enough movement, but because I am running the same bushings in my motormounts I feel it should do just fine.
Thanks to our Sponsors:

Delmarva Offroad
Unread 01-12-2010, 08:00 PM   #15
mferrari
DelmarvaOffroad.com

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Got a little bit of work done today...

Started on the tubes.
B pillar:

A pillars up and testing with a Baja Ultra I have in the shop:

Getting the windshield bar set:

Here is where I stopped tonight:

Thanks to our Sponsors:

Delmarva Offroad

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.