Need suggestions on tj ton build - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Advanced Jeep Tech > Need suggestions on tj ton build

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 06-22-2013, 10:36 PM   #16
jason m

Quote:
Originally Posted by kw89425 View Post
All front driveshafts are 2 piece and doesnt turn at hwy speed unless the case is locked in.
I think what Kenbo was talking about is a pillow block drive shaft, in other words a two piece like what buggys run to clear a tight motor or other parts in the way.

Of course in design all drive shafts are two piece but when someone in our world says two piece its ment as two drive shafts used in a one output to one input, so a pillow block would be needed to support it.

Jason.

And on the 8th day, God created the 14 bolt....
jason m is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2013, 06:59 AM   #17
Kenbo-Slice
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
All front driveshafts are 2 piece and doesnt turn at hwy speed unless the case is locked in.

Look up what I'm talking about.

Also, if the front axle doesn't have lockouts, the driveshaft IS spinning regardless of the transfer case being engaged in 4wheel.
Kenbo-Slice is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2013, 11:08 AM   #18
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Go back to the kids table and let the grownups talk.
Unread 06-23-2013, 11:32 AM   #19
kw89425
1986 CJ7 

Screw you ****nuts...nobody said anything about fulltime and he was talking about street driving. I would assume he would have lockouts. I see you tj guys are a different breed with your little toys. Dont worry I wont be back

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/my...oject-1019388/
kw89425 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2013, 11:43 AM   #20
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Screw you ****nuts...nobody said anything about fulltime and he was talking about street driving. I would assume he would have lockouts. I see you tj guys are a different breed with your little toys. Dont worry I wont be back
If by that you mean we understand how our vehicles work and don't make silly assumptions then yes a different breed. You are right nobody said anything about full time and that changes nothing about the accuracy of our statements. And why would you assume lockouts when talking about that axle setup?
Unread 06-23-2013, 01:14 PM   #21
Kenbo-Slice
1998 TJ Wrangler 

It's a lost cause.

I'll take being a rare breed over misinformed.
Unread 06-23-2013, 03:33 PM   #22
rchase559
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar

If by that you mean we understand how our vehicles work and don't make silly assumptions then yes a different breed. You are right nobody said anything about full time and that changes nothing about the accuracy of our statements. And why would you assume lockouts when talking about that axle setup?
What full width D44s (like the OP has) come with full time hubs?

Edit: As was pointed out, the OP may have one that came with drive flanges. Even if this is the case, a set of spicer lockouts can be had for under a $100 and make all of this driveshaft BSing a non-issue.
rchase559 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2013, 05:17 PM   #23
jason m

Quote:
Originally Posted by rchase559 View Post
One with a 203, would.

Jason.

Unread 06-23-2013, 07:48 PM   #24
olliehopnoodle
1982 FSJ Cherokee 

If I may read between the lines I think the OP (grover) is more leaning towards the 'cool to look at' than 'hard core trail rig'. 'Completly steetable but not a daily driver it will see some trails'. The d44 would work fine for the street and the hanging 14 bolt won't be too much of a problem. If he keeps to dirt roads, out of the sand and mud and doesn't get on the gas too much his axle choice should last.

If he does decide to head off road a lot and test out his rig he will quickly discover the shortcomings of this setup. With any luck he won't have dropped too much money into the 44 before he does.
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/agr box/Borgeson ujoint steering shaft/401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/np208/d44(aussie)/amc20(ARB)/BFG 35X12.5/Corbeau Moab Seats/RCI 6point Harness,Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 slider bars/custom bumpers and roll bar/Alpine head unit/amps/speakers 2002 Liberty Limited Early edition - Basically stock
olliehopnoodle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2013, 08:22 PM   #25
Kenbo-Slice
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I don't think the 14 bolt is going to be "dragging" as I'm pretty sure if its a matched 14 bolt to the 44, it's a semi-float. They are a lot smaller in size than a full float 14 bolt.

I'm slightly confused as to the title of the thread. "Need suggestions" turned into "this is what I have and this is what I'm using". Therefore I think all of his is falling on deaf ears.
Unread 06-23-2013, 09:31 PM   #26
olliehopnoodle
1982 FSJ Cherokee 

I think he was looking for advice on springs/struts/coilovers but got an ear full about his 'one tons' and if they work with 'up to 40 inch' tires.

So what is the suggestiongs for springs/struts/coilovers for his current axle setup that would work easiest when he does go to one tons?
82 Cherokee WT - SOA/SF/agr box/Borgeson ujoint steering shaft/401/performer/holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/np208/d44(aussie)/amc20(ARB)/BFG 35X12.5/Corbeau Moab Seats/RCI 6point Harness,Hella Aux lights/tuffy console/killer32 slider bars/custom bumpers and roll bar/Alpine head unit/amps/speakers 2002 Liberty Limited Early edition - Basically stock
olliehopnoodle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2013, 02:35 AM   #27
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by olliehopnoodle View Post
I think he was looking for advice on springs/struts/coilovers but got an ear full about his 'one tons' and if they work with 'up to 40 inch' tires.

So what is the suggestiongs for springs/struts/coilovers for his current axle setup that would work easiest when he does go to one tons?
A guy I wheel with is using 44s ft & back, 38" TSLs with coil overs, it seems to work with his 4 squirrels turning it all.
wushaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2013, 05:39 AM   #28
Kenbo-Slice
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

If he has the coin, ORI struts. Coilovers are great but take a lot of fine tuning to get the spring rate correct. A passenger drop front axle in a TJ will be easiest with either coilovers or struts because a lot of P-drop axles have limited space between the diff housing and the knuckle to fit spring plates, shock mounts etc.
Unread 06-24-2013, 05:47 AM   #29
jason m

Quote:

Well that's the other thing we are trying to point out is a dana 44 is not a one ton axle. So that's why a lot of have been saying to handle 40's which seems to be the end goal here get a one ton axle to match his rear.

Plus whatever springs/struts/coilovers that are working for his current axles will work with his 44/14 bolt combo, he might have to charge up the coilovers to handle the tires more or move some tabs, but overall his current suspension should work.

And I don't care about how many people will come on and say "my brothers uncle's sister former room mate runs 40's with his dana 44 so it will be fine" its not, every axle has a "safe" limit, 44 are set at 36-37".

Jason.

Unread 06-24-2013, 05:56 AM   #30
jason m

Quote:
Originally Posted by rchase559 View Post

Edit: As was pointed out, the OP may have one that came with drive flanges. Even if this is the case, a set of spicer lockouts can be had for under a $100 and make all of this driveshaft BSing a non-issue.
If the Op sticks with the 203 like he said he was for now and runs the front on a set of locking hubs he will have to run them locked all the time unless he installs a part time kit in the 203.

A 203 has coupling inside like the newer np242's ( I think that's the model case???) which in normal driving puts power down the driveshaft with least resistance. So if he installs locking hubs, leaves them unlocked he wont move.
This is why factory they come with slugs and why I said dump the 203 and go to a 205 which now acts like a normal case has the option to twin stick.

Jason.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.