measuring for rear driveshaft xj to yj - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Advanced Jeep Tech > measuring for rear driveshaft xj to yj

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Looking to re-gear?! CRAZY DEALS ON YUKON GEARS right here

Unread 03-02-2013, 07:51 PM   #1
weeds94yj
1994 YJ Wrangler 

measuring for rear driveshaft xj to yj

i am in the process of doing a frame restoration and putting a 350/700r4/np231c in my 94 yj my first question is dose the np231c use the same u joint as the 231j and also when im cutting and rewelding my xj driveshaft do were do i want the slip to be when it is installed on the jeep in the middle or closer to the top or bottom thanks.

weeds94yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2013, 05:27 PM   #2
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I have done several XJ shaft shortening mods for use in a YJ. I like to do them so that there's ~1" of compression left when the Jeep sits statically with the weight on it and the pinion is dialed correctly.
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2013, 08:40 PM   #3
weeds94yj
1994 YJ Wrangler 

okay thanks that is what i was looking for and these driveshafts will work fine with a four inch lift right?
Unread 03-03-2013, 10:32 PM   #4
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by weeds94yj View Post
okay thanks that is what i was looking for and these driveshafts will work fine with a four inch lift right?
Yep, there seem to be enough (what's that word I'm looking for?) play in them in a 4" YJ suspension lift to allow for the suspension to droop & the ujoints not bind.
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2013, 12:38 PM   #5
PA_YJ19
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard
I have done several XJ shaft shortening mods for use in a YJ. I like to do them so that there's ~1" of compression left when the Jeep sits statically with the weight on it and the pinion is dialed correctly.
I was wondering how other people did it, I did 1 1/2" of compression left so it had the same amount compressed as extended. I really had no idea what was correct tho. I haven't had ne issues with it yet . I have another one I'm going to weld up for my spare so I guess ill do it at 1" compressed n so how it works. Never hurts to ask I guess, like the OP.
PA_YJ19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2013, 08:14 PM   #6
weeds94yj
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA_YJ19 View Post
I was wondering how other people did it, I did 1 1/2" of compression left so it had the same amount compressed as extended. I really had no idea what was correct tho. I haven't had ne issues with it yet . I have another one I'm going to weld up for my spare so I guess ill do it at 1" compressed n so how it works. Never hurts to ask I guess, like the OP.
i thought i read there was four inches of play in the slip

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.