The makings of a JK 5.0 Swap - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Advanced Jeep Tech > The makings of a JK 5.0 Swap

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOconeeoffroad.com Prothane bushing sale Blowing out inventPoison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955

Unread 03-29-2013, 12:17 PM   #1
fifesjeep
1982 FSJ Wagoneer 

The makings of a JK 5.0 Swap

After reading about the 5.0 swaps in the TJ's and not liking my 3.8 by any means.... I said, ****-it! I'm doing a 5.0 swap in the JK. I honestly don't know ***** about electronics but, my thinking is, how different can the TJ's electronics be from the plain Jane JK. I'm working with a base model 08 JK 2WD.... Yes, a 2wd. Why? It was cheaper and why spend extra on parts that you're just going to replace anyway. Running a 4" lift, 1.25" BL, about to toss under the HP D60 & FF 14bolt w/5.38's, 38" XML's on 16x10 black D spoke steelies, fab'ed up some custom control arms w/poly bushings on one side 1-1/4" hiems on the other, 2" x .1/4" wall DOM... 4 link front, custom 3 link rear. Fabricating custom spud/adapter shaft and spacer for the NSG370.... Doing a 231/205 doubler.
With all of that.... Does anybody have info or links to the JK wiring?

fifesjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2013, 12:21 PM   #2
fifesjeep
1982 FSJ Wagoneer 

Jk

This ***** IS gonna happen, looking for help/assistance from those willing to help.
Unread 03-29-2013, 02:39 PM   #3
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

what are you doing for the vehicle speed sensor after you swap in the new axles?

jk's are not very favorable for non-mopar motor swaps. the electronics are much more integrated to the vehicle than the tj stuff.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2013, 07:23 PM   #4
Bama_WJ
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Find a JK FSM?

That should have every bit of wiring laid out for you.

The Daily: 2011 Chevy Cruze Eco - Trifecta tuned and 37+ MPG

Wife's Jeep: 2006 WK Overland - OME HD Lift, 265/70/17 BFG AT's, 1.25" SpiderTrax wheel spacers, 3" Gibson Cat-Back

North Alabama Jeep
42RE Vent Mod - Seal your transmission!
YouTube. - My Video Channel
Facebook - Wheeling Pictures/Videos
The Jeep Wave. Bringing it back.
Bama_WJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2013, 07:24 PM   #5
fifesjeep
1982 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmonkey View Post
what are you doing for the vehicle speed sensor after you swap in the new axles?

jk's are not very favorable for non-mopar motor swaps. the electronics are much more integrated to the vehicle than the tj stuff.
Machining the hubs for 52 or 55 tooth tone rings....
Damn.. finding an LS motor that isn't grossly over priced is the thing... I Can't!!! I strongly dislike electronics.
Unread 03-31-2013, 07:08 AM   #6
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Go to AllDatsDIY.com and buy a subscription for your vehicle and the donor vehicle. Get ALL the wiring and the PCM from the donor, AND the exhaust back the the last O2 sensor. You will likely have to send the PCM out to be reprogrammed to eliminate security at a minimum, and to suppress OBDII trouble codes related to the donor. I had them suppress fuel tank pressure codes, VATS elimination, the 3rd O2 sensor (which only complains about a bad cat). You will have a whole other set of issues to deal with to get the new PCM working to drive your can bus instruments.

Not knowing about electrical issues is a HUGE handicap in a swap of your vintage.
Unread 03-31-2013, 08:01 PM   #7
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fifesjeep View Post
Machining the hubs for 52 or 55 tooth tone rings....
Damn.. finding an LS motor that isn't grossly over priced is the thing... I Can't!!! I strongly dislike electronics.
Could you grab a speed signal from the 205 t-case?
Wheelin98TJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2013, 11:02 PM   #8
theGiantPanda
Swap This...

2006 LJ Wrangler 

so youre scrapping the stock JK gauges and related systems then... because the electronics are completely different. all the gauges and everything else in the JK run on a can bus system from the computer. just to clarify, you said 5.0 in the opening post then LS motor.. so which is it ford 5.0 or GM LS.? jeepspeed has the LS to JK swap done. im pretty sure you cant simply piggy back the system like you could in the jeeps. IIRC, I believe that jeepspeed is using the reprogrammed JK pcm to run the LS motor. theres a lot more to the electronics than just looking at few diagrams when it comes to 2008 and newer vehicles. if youre not going either hemi or LS then youre basically building a hot rod jeep. novak already has the adapter to go from LS to NSG370. programming the JK computer is $350 just to remove a couple of features... good luck with whatever route you go with.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
Hospital? What, are you suffering from Overextended Jeepaphelia or something? :)
I've never been poor, only broke. Poor is a state of mind. Broke is a condition brought on by Jeep ownership and a heavy right foot.

2006 Unlimited Redicon Panda Edition
RRI Long Arm...14" Fox CO's Front and Rear...D60 KP Front and D60 FF Rear... 5.38s spooled...40" Maxxis Trepadors...
6.1 HEMI...Atlas 5.1

5.7 HEMI 400 hp TJ Build http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/ye...17/?highlight=
6.1 HEMI Ultimate LJ Rubicon Build http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/6-...ayhem-1013800/
2.5 to 4.0L swap and build up http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/he.../#post14946167
4.0 to 2008 5.3L GM LS in the Taco'd TJ [frame off build].....http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/5-...28/?highlight=
My new DD Build, lift, 4.0 motor swap, done in 6 days?....http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/6.../#post15716292

the new shop... http://redrockwiring.com/ conversion, parts and wiring systems
shop email.... info@redrockindustries.net
LIKE US on facebook..... https://www.facebook.com/redrockindustriesinc adding more daily
redrockindustries.net
theGiantPanda is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.