Low stall speed converter in Cherokee - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Advanced Jeep Tech > Low stall speed converter in Cherokee

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 02-07-2013, 06:53 AM   #1
montelibre
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Xj Low stall speed converter in Cherokee

Hi all.
I am new in this forum. I'm from Spain.
I have a 1997 Jeep Cherokee with main following features:
-Titan Stroker 4.6 liters.
-Supercharger MP90, max. boost about 5-6 psi.
-3.73/1 ring & pinion gear ratio.
-33" tyres.
-Weight about 4100 lbs.
-AW-4 automatic transmission.
-(I don't know what cam it has installed).

I'm looking for a custom low stall speed torque converter, I think about 1600 rpm.
Where can I find a seller?
What stall speed do you recomend me?
Any other advise?
Thanks.

montelibre is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-07-2013, 04:01 PM   #2
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

What do you do with the vehicle and at what rpm is the peak torque your motor makes?

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-07-2013, 04:53 PM   #3
montelibre
1997 XJ Cherokee 

I drive mostly highway and secondary road and sometimes forest tracks.
I don't know where the peak torque is, I think as the stock engine, but as I have the Supercharger and Stroker I have much more torque at any rpm than stock engine.
I also want to improve fuel consumption.
Unread 02-07-2013, 06:06 PM   #4
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

you've already got a lock up torque converter, so a lower stall will not help at highway speeds.

getting a performance converter at the stock speed of 2000rpm is usually best in something that isn't a race vehicle. you have a "race vehicle" motor in yours so that's why we need to ask your uses.

you want the stall speed to be at least close to the peak torque, i'd be surprised if your motor has the same peak rpm as stock. get it on a dyno and then make your decision. with that motor combination don't expect very good economy. if you can make 16mpg with the lift and tires you're doing great.

Unread 02-08-2013, 03:09 AM   #5
montelibre
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Thank you for your replies.
In any case, can you recommend me a seller?
I'm on 12-13 mpg.
On secondary roads and forest tracks or off-road the lock-up is almost time off. I would like to reduce slippage on these situations.

Last edited by montelibre; 02-08-2013 at 03:28 AM..
Unread 02-08-2013, 06:24 AM   #6
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

You wont get good mileage in those situations regardless.
There are instructions all over the net on installing override switches for the aw4 shifting and torque converter I'd go that route.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.